MG15 Sandtrooper Heavy Rifle -- pics and info updated

Lordsandy

This prop has now become my favorite in my collection.
This real Mg15 has the real British sniper N0.32 MKII and British infrared snooperscope on it as can be seen on the POSW site.

The scopes are not mounted and I have not even had a chance to clean up the MG15, but I couldnt wait any longer to post a few pics :)

I have been told there is also a Singlepoint scope on it which I have, but I have never seen it on any pics I have looked at before. Please, if you have any comments or photos to post on the location of items or things I need to complete this blaster please do so.........would love to hear any comments from Cliff or Chris on this also.

The sniper scope needs to be moved forward but it wouldnt stay in place at the correct location for these pictures. The last two pics are with my Sterling to give you an idea of its size.
Thanks foor looking.
Lordsandy

[attachmentid=3340]

[attachmentid=3341]

[attachmentid=3342]

[attachmentid=3343]

[attachmentid=3345]

lordsandy, here are some pics, I believe, verifying the singlepoint scope in question. You can get a general idea about its placment as well as the placement of the snooperscope.

I believe the circle the yellow arrow in my pic points to is the back of the singlepoint scope.

[attachmentid=3347]

No singlepoint in this pic. Just the Enfield No 32 and the snooperscope.

[attachmentid=3348]

Here you see the snooperscope then the trooper rolls his wrist and you can see the singlepoint scope mounted on the far side and closer to the rear of the receiver.

[attachmentid=3349]

Yep, I see it!

Great pics!

Thank you so much for posting them.

What do you think they did with the end of the wire from the scope???

Lordsandy

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Lordsandy wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>

What do you think they did with the end of the wire from the scope???
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Well, I am no expert on these things and the pics aren't very clear but if you look at the second pic, it appears to me that they stuck the tip of the cable back into the very frontmost part of the slot for the charging handle. I could be wrong, but that is what it looks like to me. What do you think?

EDIT: I suppose it is possible that they drilled a hole in the receiver. Either way, in several of the pics it looks like the little tip on the cable does go back into the gun body to me.

Man, am I jealous. I've got a real MG34 and an E-11, but I'm afraid this one is out of my league. Brak's, are all of these pictures from the reference CD, or are there any new ones I should be saving?
icon_wink.gif

Also, on the picture with the yellow arrow, the trooper appears to have a belt pouch different from any of the longer ones I've seen. Has it ever been discussed or identified? It would be nice to have, since MP40 style pouches don't work so well for easy access to car keys, money, etc. when trooping.

Nick

Those do come from the Ref CD although they have been cropped or sharpened/brightened to emphasize the particular pieces I was trying to show. Never hurts to save them so you don't have to scour the CD looking for the original pics they came from.

I have come to discover there are a number of different pouches, many of which I have not seen discussed. I have seen at least 3 non-MP40 pouches on different sandtroopers, always located on their hips. I have tried to trace some of them out and although I have found similar items I have never been able to definitively ID any of them. To me, the pouch in the pic above (with the yellow arrow) looks most like a WWII German leather medical pouch which can be readily found on eBay. The dimension sof the medical pouch are approx 6.5" X 4" Here is a pic of the pouch in question:

[attachmentid=3350]

There is also an older (perhaps WWI) ammo pouch that I believe has loops inside it to hold individual rounds of ammunition that has the same basic configuration.

Brak's, are all of these pictures from the reference CD, or are there any new ones I should be saving?

Also, on the picture with the yellow arrow, the trooper appears to have a belt pouch different from any of the longer ones I've seen. Has it ever been discussed or identified?

Brak's Buddy,

The B&W photo appears to have the cord running into the slot and the end of the snooperscope does not appear to be brass.

The color pic appears to have the cord running up higher into the receiver and you can clearly see the brass on the end of the scope.

Are these pics of the same Trooper?? Almost seems they were two MG15, maybe more???

Also the correct N0.32 MKII scope has a brass section on the very end of the scope an inch or so long.

Cheers,
Lordsandy

There are definitely two MG-15s... Let me take a look at my pics to see if I can find any with more than two.

[attachmentid=3351]

Brak's Buddy,

Thanks for pointing out the obvious........funny I never noticed that other one before standing up!

I am suprised they were able to get two of the British Snooperscopes as I have been told they are and were extremely rare.......unless one is a resin cast??

Lordsandy

Sorry Lordsandy, pointing out the obvious is about all I am good at..
ohwell.gif

K, I have looked through my pics and I never see more than two MG15s.

As far as the rarity of the scopes, I have noticed that the sandtroopers specifically seem to have a number of parts that were incredibly rare/hard to find... Guess the scope is just another to add to the list. Both MG15s definitely had the scope though, although it is possible that one is a cast.

The Single Point goes on the left side of the blaster (The side opposite of the cocking lever).
The scope rings are the football style rings (same as on the DH-17) with the thumb screws pointing up.

MG-15SinglePoint.jpg

BTW, the cocking lever is removed from the MG-15's in ANH.
MG-15 Photo from Cliff (Hope you don't mind!)

EDIT: I overwrote the first pic I posted with a new one showing the Snooper Scope scale and position better.
The Snooper Scope hose is stuck in a hole drilled into the MG-15 body.
From my referance I can see that the back of the blaster in ANH (From the ammo drum back) is a solid resin casting.

TK818, can't see a lever in any of the pics but it is very dark. Can you tell me where that info came from? Also can you tel me where the specific info on the scope rings came from?

LA,

That scope with no brass tip looks like it could be a resin cast scope IMO.

Notice how it doesn't have a sheed like the blued steel of the front scope.

I'm assuming the monster scope is also blued steel.

If it was real, it should have a sheen to it.

Could it be that

MG15 #1 has a real receiver, real monster scope, real or cast singlepoint scope and either a real front scope or resin cast scope

MG15 #2 has a cast reciever, cast monster scope, real front scope and cast singlepoint or real singlepoint

"Can you tell me where that info came from?"

Living in the SF Bay Area I know a few people who worked at LFL.
I've seen pics from the LFL archive photo library of the MG15.
It's frustrating but the pics can't be posted without getting several people in trouble with LFL.
All I can do is describe what I know using public images for illustration.

The LFL pic I've seen has a resin receiver and all the scopes are real but the snooper scope is painted flat black.

Richard,

Can you tell from your pictures how the Snooper scope is attached?

It also apears that the MKII scope mount bracket back is some how installed in the rear sight mount???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lordsandy

#2 has a real singlepoint for sure (though I would've numbered them the other way-I'd call this #1).
I'm pretty sure this is also the one currently in a private collector's hands. It's currently missing the front barrel/receiver, front scope, and singlepoint.

To update:

MG15 #1 has a real receiver, real monster scope, real or cast singlepoint scope and either a real front scope or resin cast scope

MG15 #2 has a cast reciever, real monster scope, real front scope and real singlepoint

Both probably have real singlepoints since there was certainly no shortage of them in ANH.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back