Metropolis Maria Robot

Hey folks,

I posted this on some other boards, and I thought I would throw it out here as well. If you've seen the latest AFM, you've already seen her. This is the Madsudaya Maria robot that came out in the 90's. It's a vinyl kit that I reposed. I scratchbuilt the chair and added the insulators and wires. I'll eventually come up with a base with some under-lighting. Anyway...here she is...thanks for looking.

mariabeauty.jpg

mariaclose.jpg

It's amazing that they designed this back in what, the 20's? This would look right at home in any sci-fi movie made today.

<div class='quotetop'>(WarEagle @ Jun 7 2006, 01:10 PM) [snapback]1257833[/snapback]</div>
It's amazing that they designed this back in what, the 20's? This would look right at home in any sci-fi movie made today.
[/b]

Yes, the film was released in 1927. Incredible design work.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Mike

Fantastic Mike. :D :thumbsup

I see you used a bright "steel" finish for Maria... I don't know where the "gold" color used on the box and many replicas comes from... she looks more "natural" in the silvery color.

- k

<div class='quotetop'>(eaviii @ Jun 7 2006, 05:24 PM) [snapback]1258007[/snapback]</div>
Beautiful use of that model- How did you rework the knees? Ball bearings?

Doc
[/b]

Thanks Doc. I used metal washers and wooden spheres from the craft store for the knees. Then, I sculpted in the sides with epoxy putty.

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ Jun 7 2006, 05:36 PM) [snapback]1258014[/snapback]</div>
Fantastic Mike. :D :thumbsup

I see you used a bright "steel" finish for Maria... I don't know where the "gold" color used on the box and many replicas comes from... she looks more "natural" in the silvery color.

- k
[/b]

Thanks. I used Alclad Aluminum to paint her. I have always seen her as that color in my mind. I think she was shown as gold on many movie posters...so perhaps that's where the gold thing came from.

Mike

Beautiful work. I recall seeing that kit year and years back, considered getting it, but I wasn't into doing models or props back then, silly me. Metropolis is one of those odd cult classics that really struck a nerve with me.

Now you got me all thinking about it again.

Excellent work Miguel. You did an incredible job eliminating that seam across her belly, and the re-pose is awesome..

What's the size of the standing version? Awesome work. When I clicked on the thread I thought it was a life-size until I started reading. :D BTW, more pics would be very well received, I'm sure... ;)

EDITed for stupid Sp3ll1ng

<div class='quotetop'>(imaginager @ Jun 8 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]1258362[/snapback]</div>
What's the size of the standing version? Awesome work. When I clicked on the thread I thought it was a life-size until I started reading. :D BTW, more pics would be very well received, I'm sure... ;)

EDITed for stupid Sp3ll1ng
[/b]

imaginager...the kit is roughly 1/5th scale. About 17" tall standing. Thanks for the compliments...I'll see if I can snap some more pics.

Talisen...I'm glad I could inspire you.

RickyC...thanks hombre.

My favorite robot of all time - and honestly, I have NEVER seen her look as good as you have made her.

Thsi calls for an avatar change.

That's one of the best jobs I've seen on a vinyl kit. She's always been one of my favorite robots. Hard to believe her design is 80 years old. You did an incredible job on her. :thumbsup If you don't mind my asking, what did you use to fill the belly seam?

Bill

moffeaton...thanks for the kind words. Good job on the avatar change...I like your style. In honor of your change, I've changed mine. :D

<div class='quotetop'>(kevoris @ Jun 8 2006, 03:30 PM) [snapback]1258563[/snapback]</div>
That's one of the best jobs I've seen on a vinyl kit. She's always been one of my favorite robots. Hard to believe her design is 80 years old. You did an incredible job on her. :thumbsup If you don't mind my asking, what did you use to fill the belly seam?

Bill
[/b]

Bill, thanks a bunch. First, I filled the seam with Aves Apoxie Sculpt . After that dried, I used Bondo Glazing Putty to feather the seam out even more. A lot of wet sanding and primer...and it was a done deal.

yeah I always hated that seam too.kept me from buying one for only 50 bucks. :cry
now I wish I had taken the time to try and fill it.
thanks for posting one of the best believable robots of the 20th century.

In the photo in Post #19, you can see three dots along the front top of the base. Those are two upward-angled lights on either side and an on-off switch in the middle. They create a lovely cinematic effect in a darkened room. You can see the effect in the links below. These are two build-ups of the Maria kit, linked from the CultTVman site:

CultTVman: Scott Copeland's Maria

CultTVman: Frank P. DeCandia's Maria

Forbidden Zone, your Maria is stunning. The addition of a lighted base will be the icing on the cake. Bravo. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back