Metropolis Maria Robot

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Forbidden Zone, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Forbidden Zone

Forbidden Zone Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey folks,

I posted this on some other boards, and I thought I would throw it out here as well. If you've seen the latest AFM, you've already seen her. This is the Madsudaya Maria robot that came out in the 90's. It's a vinyl kit that I reposed. I scratchbuilt the chair and added the insulators and wires. I'll eventually come up with a base with some under-lighting. Anyway...here she is...thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

Very cool.

Too bad Fritz Lang is dead. He could sue Lucas for stealing that robot design. :)

Tim

3. burningman

burningman Well-Known Member

that is awesome...
    I love Maria one of the best bot designs ever.

4. Archie Opteryx

Archie Opteryx Well-Known Member

Beautiful.

5. WarEagle

WarEagle Well-Known Member

It's amazing that they designed this back in what, the 20's? This would look right at home in any sci-fi movie made today.

6. Forbidden Zone

<div class='quotetop'>(WarEagle @ Jun 7 2006, 01:10 PM) [snapback]1257833[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, the film was released in 1927. Incredible design work.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Mike

7. eaviii

eaviii Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Beautiful use of that model- How did you rework the knees? Ball bearings?

Doc

8. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic Mike. :D :thumbsup

I see you used a bright "steel" finish for Maria... I don't know where the "gold" color used on the box and many replicas comes from... she looks more "natural" in the silvery color.

- k

9. Forbidden Zone

<div class='quotetop'>(eaviii @ Jun 7 2006, 05:24 PM) [snapback]1258007[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Doc. I used metal washers and wooden spheres from the craft store for the knees. Then, I sculpted in the sides with epoxy putty.

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ Jun 7 2006, 05:36 PM) [snapback]1258014[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. I used Alclad Aluminum to paint her. I have always seen her as that color in my mind. I think she was shown as gold on many movie posters...so perhaps that's where the gold thing came from.

Mike

10. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Beautiful work. I recall seeing that kit year and years back, considered getting it, but I wasn't into doing models or props back then, silly me. Metropolis is one of those odd cult classics that really struck a nerve with me.

Now you got me all thinking about it again.

11. RickDTM

RickDTM Sr Member

Excellent work Miguel. You did an incredible job eliminating that seam across her belly, and the re-pose is awesome..

12. imaginager

imaginager Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What's the size of the standing version? Awesome work. When I clicked on the thread I thought it was a life-size until I started reading. :D BTW, more pics would be very well received, I'm sure... ;)

EDITed for stupid Sp3ll1ng

13. Forbidden Zone

<div class='quotetop'>(imaginager @ Jun 8 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]1258362[/snapback]</div>
    imaginager...the kit is roughly 1/5th scale. About 17" tall standing. Thanks for the compliments...I'll see if I can snap some more pics.

Talisen...I'm glad I could inspire you.

RickyC...thanks hombre.

14. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My favorite robot of all time - and honestly, I have NEVER seen her look as good as you have made her.

Thsi calls for an avatar change.

15. Beagle Bill

Beagle Bill Well-Known Member

That's one of the best jobs I've seen on a vinyl kit. She's always been one of my favorite robots. Hard to believe her design is 80 years old. You did an incredible job on her. :thumbsup If you don't mind my asking, what did you use to fill the belly seam?

Bill

16. Forbidden Zone

moffeaton...thanks for the kind words. Good job on the avatar change...I like your style. In honor of your change, I've changed mine. :D

<div class='quotetop'>(kevoris @ Jun 8 2006, 03:30 PM) [snapback]1258563[/snapback]</div>
    Bill, thanks a bunch. First, I filled the seam with Aves Apoxie Sculpt . After that dried, I used Bondo Glazing Putty to feather the seam out even more. A lot of wet sanding and primer...and it was a done deal.

17. mr.predicta

mr.predicta Well-Known Member

yeah I always hated that seam too.kept me from buying one for only 50 bucks. :cry
    now I wish I had taken the time to try and fill it.
    thanks for posting one of the best believable robots of the 20th century.

18. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Very nice, I think it looks much more interesting the way you have reworked it. :)

19. Forbidden Zone

Thanks Boba.

Just in case anyone has never seen this kit...this is what it looks like out of the box...

[​IMG]

20. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

In the photo in Post #19, you can see three dots along the front top of the base. Those are two upward-angled lights on either side and an on-off switch in the middle. They create a lovely cinematic effect in a darkened room. You can see the effect in the links below. These are two build-ups of the Maria kit, linked from the CultTVman site:

CultTVman: Scott Copeland's Maria

CultTVman: Frank P. DeCandia's Maria

Forbidden Zone, your Maria is stunning. The addition of a lighted base will be the icing on the cake. Bravo. :thumbsup

21. imaginager

imaginager Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Can't stop looking at FZ's buildup.

22. Forbidden Zone

<div class='quotetop'>(imaginager @ Jun 9 2006, 11:35 AM) [snapback]1259015[/snapback]</div>
    WOW...thanks...I'm glad you dig it.

Mike

23. TheRoman

TheRoman New Member

Now, I'm new to this board and I've seen several fullscale (and model) Marias in person (Replicas made for the movie studios in Babelsberg)
    but your model tops all of them.

I Had to save those images because I can't stop looking at them.

Awesome work B) :thumbsup

Please post more pics.

24. Forbidden Zone

<div class='quotetop'>(TheRoman @ Jun 22 2006, 09:13 AM) [snapback]1265803[/snapback]</div>

Wow...thanks. I'll definitely try to snap some additional pics and post them.

Mike

25. Vaderman

Vaderman Sr Member

Nice job.
    That's looks really great. I wish I had picked one of those up years ago when they were the "poor stepchild" of Robby and B-9 and you could get a deal on them at any convention.

I have an abomination of an "action figure" of her that was done with an embarrassingly huge chest. Tragically, it's the only representation of Maria I have.

I may start trolling eBay for that now seeing what a spectacular job you did with the kit.

Keep us updated on your progress please.

26. Forbidden Zone

<div class='quotetop'>(Vaderman @ Jun 23 2006, 12:45 AM) [snapback]1266415[/snapback]</div>
    Vaderman...thanks for the compliment. You can still find these on eBay every now and then. Also, check this out...Monsters In Motion is selling them apparently...

http://www.monstersinmotion.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=5958

I have been told by someone who bought from them that it's the real deal.

Mike

27. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i just picked one of these up on ebay for $60, cant wait to get it, your buildup is beautiful.

28. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Forbidden Zone @ Jun 27 2006, 05:52 AM) [snapback]1269137[/snapback]</div>
    Vaderman...thanks for the compliment. You can still find these on eBay every now and then. Also, check this out...Monsters In Motion is selling them apparently...

http://www.monstersinmotion.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=5958

I have been told by someone who bought from them that it's the real deal.

Mike
    [/b][/quote]

It is, I picked one up from them a few years ago.
    Great build up Mike, thanks for posting.

Max

29. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

just got my kit in, wow, that waist seam is definetly something to clean up, not even very even to each other, any more tips on working with that area? Otherwise beautiful kit... btw, what type of batteries are supposed to go in this base, lol

30. Rotwang

Rotwang Sr Member

The golden colour comes from the Sculptor who did an interview years after making the film. Said it was spraypainted a silvery-bronze colour (described in German as "weissmetall" which can be any brass/bronze colour.)

31. patrick

patrick Member

wow! great job you did there
    she looks great.

you can see were George Lucas as his designs from.
    for creating 3cpo

32. Rotwang

Rotwang Sr Member

33. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Wait so changing colors in photoshop is art now? I'm in the wrong line of work.