Metallica new project with Lou Reed

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok so I got the Metallica newsletter and it said they recorded an album with Lou Reed from Velvet Underground. I can't ever recall hearing any of that group's songs. So is this good or bad? I don't really like the idea of an entire album with someone else singing on it. A song or two, yes, but not an entire album.

I've been following this for since news broke of it last week. I'm a die hard Metallica fan, etc. Kirk mentioned a project in the works a few months ago and this became known as the "secret project" - there was a ton of debate and speculation about it and it ended up being a project with Lou Reed.

...and frankly, it's quite the left turn from the band. Completely unexpected and ever so curiously interesting.

I appreciate Lou and VU's music, but it's never really been quite my thing. I find Lou's vocals a bit monotone and dry. That said, Sweet Jane, White Light White Heat, Wild Side are all amazing songs and classics in their own right.

Rolling Stone described it with "crunching march... speed-metal gear... free-fall sections... relentless staccato riff played at manic velocity." And also stated: "The record, not yet titled, features 10 songs composed by Reed with significant arrangement contributions by the band that suggest a raging union of his 1973 noir classic, Berlin, and Metallica's '86 crusher, Master of Puppets."

Rolling Stone

This project was spurred on at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Concerts last year where Metallica played a few songs with other inductees. Ozzy was probably the only 'no brainer,' as Ray Davies and Lou Reed where the other's to play with Metallica.

Metallica and Lou did Sweet Jane and White Light, White Heat with Lou.

Metallica with Lou Reed: Sweet Jane White Light, White Heat

This is a song from LuLu, the project that Metallica and Lou Reed adapted into this project.

I think it's a tough spot to be in... this isn't a Metallica album. It doesn't take more than one listen to The View to figure out this is Lou Reed with Metallica and it's uncharted territory for Metallica - and if you're not a fan of Lou Reed, this isn't the project for you.

It's funny, though. the Metallica fans are bitching about Lou and the general direction of the song. The Lou Reed fans are bitching about the 'angry man' ruining a (somewhat heavier) Lou Reed songs by screaming.

This is an art project more than an album.

...and frankly, I find the riff repetitive. The production more worthy of a demo than a finished work. ...and Lou Reed's vocal don't fit the music at all. I love James' vocal work and I hope we hear more of that on a full Metallica project.

^ I'll be the first to put a gun to my head should that ever happen.
John Foggerty has had to work hard enough to recoup losses from the record industry in his life, the last thing I'd wish on him is a collaboration with Metallica (who in my opinion have not been relevant or any good creatively in at least twenty years).

I think it's a tough spot to be in... this isn't a Metallica album. It doesn't take more than one listen to The View to figure out this is Lou Reed with Metallica and it's uncharted territory for Metallica - and if you're not a fan of Lou Reed, this isn't the project for you.

It's funny, though. the Metallica fans are bitching about Lou and the general direction of the song. The Lou Reed fans are bitching about the 'angry man' ruining a (somewhat heavier) Lou Reed songs by screaming.

This is an art project more than an album.

...and frankly, I find the riff repetitive. The production more worthy of a demo than a finished work. ...and Lou Reed's vocal don't fit the music at all. I love James' vocal work and I hope we hear more of that on a full Metallica project.
After REALLY enjoying Death Magnetic, I find this another weird turn for Metallica. I won't be picking this up because not even Metallica can help Lou Reed...ugh.

I'd rather this production style than the Death Magnetic catastrophe. Hetfield's voice sounded properly aggressive as well. That said, I won't be picking it up, though it has its place as an item of interest.

While I LOVE Metallica. This was just painful vocally. Lou Reed sounds like my grandfather who trips over his words when trying to talk.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back