Metalic Waxes/rub On Bios

Hippie

Hi guys.

I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction on which makes of Metalic wax/metal rub is the best to use on a bio please?
What are the pros and cons? Best way to apply and so on....

I have a raw bio on the way and was considering this option instead of paint.
Also if there are any pics of metal waxed bios that would be great.

Thanks.
Christian.

I've used Rub 'n Buff silver on a blade to see how it would work. I used it just like they say and I was not liking the results. I don't have a pic of it right now but I wasn't able to get the affects that I got with the Aluminum color paint highlighted with other colors. Also, being a wax, I wouldn't be able to paint it to highlight it.

I don't know if anyone has done a bio but I have seen YouTube tutorials on other costume armor.

I use rub-n buff in some of my resin hammers and they work fine-- you have to blend the tones somewhat to get the effects you want. I use the pewter and the silver leaf combined with some of the many gold tones that are offered and it seems to work fine. But as you said, as it is a wax base, hard to paint over.

have to agree with Clay. I have also used rub-n buff to outstanding results(better than spray paint) and I also have done highlights and battle damage with shoepolish(the ink not the cream) on top of the rub and buff with no problem. It takes time but it's worth it.
The celtic bio on my profile pic was done with rubnbuff

Well, I guess like other medias that if you had a bigger pallet you'd have a more potential. I like the shoe polish tip that may have worked well on my blade

there are many other wax types that can be used on coloring a bio ..Hez used wax all the time ( and not rub and buff ..that is used to simulate antiquing ..only meant for highlights ) here is a thread shoing a completed Tusky bio that paul did using colored waxes.

http://www.thehunterslair.com/topic/18846-tusky-tracker-bio/page__hl__tracker__fromsearch__1

I use Rub and Buff on all my armor and bios as the last step.

• Primer in black Plastii dip. Let dry
• Coat in Gloss Black Spray Paint then go directly to next step - do not let dry
• While the Gloss Black is still wet apply a thick coat of Silver Rustoleum Hammered Metal spray paint - Really pits up nice this way - let dry
• Wash with gloss latex enamel paint with a brush and blot with a paper towel to remove from the surfaces to weather.
The gloss enamel remains and looks like oil and age in all the recesses.
• lightly rub the higher surfaces with silver Rub and Buff paste to add dimension to the pitted texture

Man you guys are so much help. I thank you.

Now I definately need to have a bash with metalic wax. Trying something I havent done before is always fun.
George. Think I'll practice on my Scar before I go and wreck my P1 Stunt eh!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back