Metal Materials for Armor/Weaponry

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

HunterJhon

So I once had an account here, forgot the name and password, so I made a brand new account for my idea. I was putting some thought into building my own suit of armor, not for the Yautja Form, but for a Human form, much like Machiko's armor. But knowing myself, I tend to be a bit...clumsy with things, so I would need a material that can hold up to me bumping into things. Hence, metal.

Steel, is already out, though I can easily get to a supply of it (Welding Workshop classes) but my thought went towards Aluminium, but then depending on much of it I need, price would become an issue.
Blueprints and armor design pieces would also be a problem, have to figure out if I want to design my own or use another template made by another forum user.

The ENTIRE armor would be made of the material chosen, as to create a 'battle' ready set.

Any ideas would be great help so I can start thinking and planning this out, and fundraising for the materials. Hell, even someone to work with (I live in the Los Angeles) area would be great

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Elkman

You might want to think about cold metal casting. It's a technique where you cast your piece in a two-part urethane plastic, much like other armor processes on here, but you add a metal powder to the resin before you cast it. After the casting is complete, then you can polish the metal much like you'd polish something made of solid metal. Smooth-On has an excellent tutorial on their site. Hez made three biohelmets using this technique, and they came out great.

Hunts With Man

Aluminum tends to be more reflective than steel, for ceremonial armour, this might not be a problem, but it doesn't look like something that's ever been fought in. For weight concerns, as well as toughness, hard plastic is a good choice. If you can get your hands on a food grate 55 gallon barrel, the thing will withstand a good beating. Only issue is, they're a hideous blue and need to be painted. The stuff can be riveted or laced together, depending on the look you want. For forming curves, you can heat sheets of it in an oven on low temp and mold it around a form. You won't be able to get all the dished curves and hard angles you could with hammered steel.

Kydex can be bought in sheets, virtually the same construction methods for this as the HDPE blue barrels, it tends to be a bit stronger for the same thickness. It will become brittle if it's left in the cold though.

The super cheap alternative is to go buy a plastic trash barrel and treat it the same way as the food grade HDPE.

When cutting out the pattern pieces, you'll have to sand or grind the edges, and probably apply just a little heat from a butane torch to smooth out the remaining frayed edges. Just enough heat that the worked edge begins to glisten a little, let it cool naturally. Unless it catches fire, then drop that bitch in a water bucket and save yourself the burns. ;>

Cathat

So I once had an account here, forgot the name and password, so I made a brand new account for my idea. I was putting some thought into building my own suit of armor, not for the Yautja Form, but for a Human form, much like Machiko's armor. But knowing myself, I tend to be a bit...clumsy with things, so I would need a material that can hold up to me bumping into things. Hence, metal.

Steel, is already out, though I can easily get to a supply of it (Welding Workshop classes) but my thought went towards Aluminium, but then depending on much of it I need, price would become an issue.
Blueprints and armor design pieces would also be a problem, have to figure out if I want to design my own or use another template made by another forum user.

The ENTIRE armor would be made of the material chosen, as to create a 'battle' ready set.

Any ideas would be great help so I can start thinking and planning this out, and fundraising for the materials. Hell, even someone to work with (I live in the Los Angeles) area would be great

"bumping into things" -that is the exact reason to not use metal.

Fiberglass and thick closed cell foam is plenty strong - plus it has the advantage that it won't hurt anyone should you clumsily bump into anyone who's getting too close to you or in crowds.

Flexible fiberglass can take a real beating and close cell foam can be squished and it bounces right back not much worse for wear. Most folks won't be hurt gettnig a shoulder full of that.

One last note - quite a few conventions and organizations here in the USA won't let more aggressive armor be metal - ( ie no spikes or cool pointy bits) because of the formentioned safety issues. I've done foam that looked to all inspecting it that it was metal - they had to touch it to be satisfied and let me pass.

I tend to aggree about the safety factor since all suited up - even I a nimble and agile guy - have bumped into things - walls, doorways, telephone poles on sidewalks forgetting I'm a lot bulker in my suit. Luckily I've brained no kids or bumped into the moms or anything - heh.

Cathat