Metal lathe buying advice

Cervelo R3sl

I'm new to the forum and just getting into building and I've realized quickly that I need a metal lathe. Can some members that have lathes give me some advice on brands, sizes etc., that work well for them. Thanks!

no chinese new. better to buy a good brand used. most of times used lathes come with quite some tools too. and its easier to do small parts on a big lathe than bigger parts on a small lathe.

curious why you say no chinese? my chinese lathe is about 5 years old now and still good as new, at a tiny fraction of the cost of a name brand one.

The three things you need to consider are:

1) How much room do you have?
2) How expensive is tooling going to cost?
3) How big a piece do I really need to turn?

For a medium size lathe at reasonable cost some of the Chinese lathes can work well once you get them dialed in. They're never going to compete with a nice Schaublin or Hardinge lathe but they cost a whole heck of a lot less. You can find older good quality Myford and Southbend lathes but you really need to know what you're looking at before you purchase one.

For a small garage workshop benchtop lathe I always recommend Taig lathes as they're pretty hard to beat for the price and the accessories are very inexpensive. Lots of people have them so there's a good support group for them too. You would be surprised what you can make with a Taig lathe.

I have a grizzly 13 x 40. Bought it new in 1997 along with a grizzly mill. Pretty big machines, but they can do anything that I need for props and other stuff.

I had a Chinese (Harbor Freight) lathe. Worked well enough, though 7x10 turned out to be a bit shorter than ideal - I was turning aluminum saber hilts, mainly. Something went wonky with the circuitry after a couple of years of sporadic use. I still have it, and may try to get it repaired, but I won't spend a lot of money doing so. If/when I want to do more turning, I'll at least look at just replacing it with something better.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back