Interest Metal Jedi Knight Holodisc - Dark Forces II - Stainless Steel - Functioning prop

zenix

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Jedi Knight is special to me. Everyone loved the game, but it is because of this game that I am where I am today. It shifted the direction of my life because I learned 3D modeling for this game to make add-on levels. I created several multiplayer maps in the mid 90s, and eventually went on to focus on digital fabrication using the skills I first learned for these. I've been on a kick lately, making the other data storage devices from Star Wars, including the aluminum/gold plated Death Star Plans Data Card, the metal Map to Luke Skywalker device from TFA, and I've made holocrons in the past. I really want to do this prop justice, and make a holodisc where the wheel is real metal, and the housing is cold-cast bronze or something similar.
side 8t88.pngHolodisc (1).jpg8L5pC2h.jpg

As a placeholder, I've made this quick prototype just to have something to work from. This is not what the final piece will look like. This is just painted plastic. The real one will have a stainless steel disc, and a much nicer bronze cold-cast housing, better details too, and the disc will spin. I also intend for this replica to actually function, and when you place it near a phone, it'll load the scene from Jedi Knight where Morgan Katarn tells kyle about Master Qu Rahn's light saber and the Valley of the Jedi. Again, here's the prototype non-accurate non-production stand-in prop:

IMG_20171204_161211_1.jpgIMG_20171204_164903.jpg
IMG_20171204_161336.jpgIMG_20171204_164820.jpg

Again, the above images are the prototype, and not what it will look like during production. You can follow along the build progress over at this thread.

Price will depend on number of y'all who are interested, but I'm expecting in the $150 ballpark if we get a some of interest, or $200 if it's only 5 or so people. This will be a limited run because I need to outsource the metal fabrication, and I need to know the number of those to make ahead of time.

I can of course make a cheaper kit version like the laser-cut one seen above, but that's not the point of this project, and I'd much prefer to make more of the nicer ones instead of cheap plastic ones, but do understand that many folks aren't able to shell out a lot of cash and still might want this piece for around $50

A neat thing about this project... I reached out to Jason Court, the actor who played Kyle Katarn in the cut-scenes, and asked if he'd like one. He's thrilled about it and will add it to his collection, so funding this run will get our Kyle a holodisc of his own!

To reserve a spot, please paypal $10 to payments@custom3dstuff.com just so I know you're interested. I'll update a list here:
1. Jason "Kyle Katarn" Court
2. me!
3. Kureigu
4. gboy6
5. PeterJC
6. Ataru72ita
7. Protoss
8. ApostleofColor

Probably interested:
hydin

Attachments

• IMG_20171204_164858.jpg
    IMG_20171204_164858.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
Jedi Knight stuff, count me in :D
Out of curiosity, were you part of the other run that didn't happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Knight stuff, count me in :D
Out of curiosity, were you part of the other run that didn't happen?

Nope, haven't touched it before. I've had sketches for ages but never got around to it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Awesome idea, I love it. Do you have a rough timescale for completion? Also, what about overseas shipping? If you can answer these, I'm in :D

One slight nitpick, on the physical prop Kyle is holding, it looks like the holes and cut curves go a lot closer to the edge of the disc than on your prototype.

wow, very awesome! i loved the Dark Forces games growing up, *especially* Jedi Knight. i also spent hours upon hours playing one-on-one lightsaber duels online in Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. lots of fond memories. (i thought Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy was garbage, unfortunately...)

wonderful work, this turned out great! and that's really cool that Jason Court was so interested in one! congrats!

Awesome idea, I love it. Do you have a rough timescale for completion? Also, what about overseas shipping? If you can answer these, I'm in :D

Overseas shipping is not an issue. I'm not sure on the timeline but the next couple of months we'll see some serious progress. It depends on how busy I get with new starwars stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

One slight nitpick, on the physical prop Kyle is holding, it looks like the holes and cut curves go a lot closer to the edge of the disc than on your prototype.
Yes, this is something we have to decide. The layout and spacing and dimensions of the metal wheel. There's obviously different versions because the disc was both a digital and a physical prop, so some blending or choices have to happen. There's several other differences I've noticed with the digital vs physical ones.

Looking cool! I always thought those little sections on the side were just square, never occurred to me they could be triangles.

Once you get the pricing worked out, I'll see if I can hop on, It'll go well with the other one in the collection :)

Have you given thought to aluminum for the wheel? Might be easier/cheaper than stainless. I think the original was made out of painted wood, so it's not like there's a need to use identical materials.

Can't wait!
Chris

Yep, triangles!

I'm able to produce the metal wheel in steel easier than I can do aluminum. It'll come out like my Han in Carbonite grill piece seen in the pic below. I could laser-cut thin wood and paint it but I don't want that effect, and always imagined it as thin metal.
IMG_20171204_161336.jpg

I've received the $10 "I'm actually going to buy one" deposit from Kureigu and updated the first post to reflect that.

Last edited by a moderator:
So is this run happening?
Is the deposit refundable, in the event the run doesn’t happen?

Ok, the metal discs are on order and will be here in about a week. I had to do a minimum of 20, so we're going to have plenty if it's just the handful of us, but that does cap the run at 20. Fair warning!

Ok, the metal discs are on order and will be here in about a week. I had to do a minimum of 20, so we're going to have plenty if it's just the handful of us, but that does cap the run at 20. Fair warning!

Thanks for the update. Anyone here would be interested in a small display base so the disc can be shown better? It seems like a natural addition and it's probably something that wouldn't be too complicated to make for Mr Zenix.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back