Metal Gear Solid Movie

vetteboy1982

I know there has got to be Metal Gear Fans here on the RPF. I've been playing these games for 15 years or so and for the past 7-8 years there has been talk of a movie. There was even official news from the creator Hideo Kojima that the movie was in developement. The well known screenwriter/voice actor David Hayter(the voice of snake) has put in his treatment of the film but it was rejected, and he was not in the running to play snake in the movie either. Now it has gone silent for the last couple of years.This series of games would make an epic set of movies if only they would get off thier butts and GET IT DONE !!! Anyone have any new info, or thoughts?

The fact that they rejected Hayter's treatment means that the studio doesn't know what they're doing, and this may well suck royally if it ever sees the light of day.

That may be true, but every movie is a gamble, and you can't please everyone. I think given the fanbase, that the fans themselves should have input that the creator should take into consideration....after all, without us fans, there never would have been all these games. And lets not forget that Kojima is a pretty good storyteller. He is like George Lucas, in that, he has the say on everything from dialogue, to scenery, to music (which was EPIC on Snakeater). There are alot of things I want to see in the movie as a nod to us gamers that ultimately made a movie possible. simple little things that made me laugh at the game , such as " who's footprints are these?"...."huh...just a box !" the big exclamation point above thier heads when alerted. Of course I don't want this to go on and on but once in a while, subtle, would be funny.

The game itself actually makes reference to the fact that it's a game. I'm guessing you've played MGS4. Did you try the controller trick in the fight with Psycho Mantis' protege? Snake actually tells Otacon "I can't move!", and Otacon berates him for switching controller ports, right in the game! And of course the jab at Xbox about Blu-ray, that was funny too.

I'm playing Peacewalker right now part of the Metal Gear Solid HD edtion. And I downloaded Metal Gear Solid (ps1) that I'm also playing....fun stuff ! I think they should aproach the movies in chronoligical order, so that Snake Eater would be the first movie. If they jump around in time like they did with the games, non gamers might not know what the heck is going on.What do you think ?Any thoughts on a plot line ?

I doubt I'll be seeing this movie if it ever happens if Hayter has nothing to do with it. I mean he helped write one of the X-men movies and Watchmen so it's not like he is a hack, and he knows the material pretty well. In the end I think they should do it as a CGI movie and not live action, that way Hayter can at least get to voice snake and Kojima could have more control over the production than if it got handed over to the studios.

Thats a great thought Wes. The first CGI movie I saw was Final Fantasty( not related to the games) and it was quite good. The motion capture work they do now is fantastic, especially for the facial. Then as you said, David could continue his fine work as Snake and Hideo Kojima would retain full control. My only concern with that is that they make it as lifelike as possible...otherwise, it's just like a cutscene from the game.

Last edited:
MGS4 was technically an interactive movie, so CGI is not only an option, but a good one too. If they don't get Hayter ot do at least Snake's voice, I'll be disappointed.

_Atlas

There is a clip of Hayter as Snake in real life announcing a video game award. Yeah if they make any kind of movie without him or his voice i guarantee it won't do well, there are already tons of sites with petitions and threats of boycotts. Kojima's so protective of the franchise I think part of why the movie hasn't been made is he wants it to be perfect. I do wish he'd get someone to remake the original metal gear games using the new technology, I saw an interview that said he didn't have time to do it but wasn't against someone remaking them. I'm talking the japanese computer versions not the NES one and certainly not that stinking Snake's revenge.

That may be true, but every movie is a gamble, and you can't please everyone. I think given the fanbase, that the fans themselves should have input that the creator should take into consideration....after all, without us fans, there never would have been all these games. And lets not forget that Kojima is a pretty good storyteller. He is like George Lucas, in that, he has the say on everything from dialogue, to scenery, to music (which was EPIC on Snakeater). There are alot of things I want to see in the movie as a nod to us gamers that ultimately made a movie possible. simple little things that made me laugh at the game , such as " who's footprints are these?"...."huh...just a box !" the big exclamation point above thier heads when alerted. Of course I don't want this to go on and on but once in a while, subtle, would be funny.

The fanbase means absolutely nothing. Look at Alien, Terminator, Predator to name close favorites. Does the studio care about the main(all be it nerd base core) of the franchise. Absolutely not. Yet they still made all the ones that blew.(TSCC withstanding. Can't see why it's so hated) I would love a CGI movie with Hayter as the voice, expanding the story of Solid Snake. What we get is Shia Le'beefcake and crummy writing/CGI/fan wankery that the studio thinks the fans want cause they looked at four year old sales numbers.

I think the studios are still trying to push Christian Bale as Snake and that makes me want to see it even less.

I know the studios could care less about the gamers, but I believe Hideo Kojima does,and if George Lucas was able to keep complete control of Star Wars, I don't see why Kojima can't do the same with Metal Gear. I agree that without David Hayter, the movie would suffer. He is Snake.And I would see it live action or CGI...I only hope that if it is CGI, that they improve the graphics WAY beyond the game...it can look better !

Last edited:
The only full CGI movie I would really like to see happen is one based off , The Old Republic trailers. Those were amazing. And if it was in 3D I would definatly see it. Now as for MGS I have'nt played any of the game series, but with the new MGS coming out later 2012 I've become tempted to try out the series and see if it's to my liking.

Lucas is a veteran director with many awards and he knows people. Kojima is a guy that makes video games. Granted he does pretty much the same thing I don't think studios take that into consideration because it's not the same medium. They want somebody they know can get them money back.

If I'm not mistaken David Hayter also played snake in the PS3 "Michael" commercial. IMO David is the only one who could play Snake, anything else just wouldn't be right, and it would be a slap in the face to the fans of the series.

Lucas is a veteran director with many awards and he knows people. Kojima is a guy that makes video games. Granted he does pretty much the same thing I don't think studios take that into consideration because it's not the same medium. They want somebody they know can get them money back.
Lucas was a newbie when the original Star Wars was made, in fact he had to put up his own money to get it made.And I'm not comparing the two, I'm just saying that Kojima should retain full control, so some smack#$$ producer/director does'nt screw it up.Live action or CGI...it will make money.It just has to be good enough that the sequels will sell, becuse you can't tell this story in one movie !

Lucas was a newbie when the original Star Wars was made, in fact he had to put up his own money to get it made.And I'm not comparing the two, I'm just saying that Kojima should retain full control, so some smack#$$ producer/director does'nt screw it up.Live action or CGI...it will make money.It just has to be good enough that the sequels will sell, becuse you can't tell this story in one movie !

I don't know about newbie, I'm sure THX-1138 and American Graffiti (the latter having the largest budget to return ratio for quite some years) honed his skills a bit. As far as I know, 20th Century Fox funded STAR WARS and it wasn't until Empire did the movies start being funded entirely by Lucasfilm.

But back to the topic at hand, I'd love to see an adaptation of Snake Eater. Whether a sequel or the first of a franchise doesn't matter to me, I just want to hear and see that intro on the Big Screen. When I played Snake Eater the first time, I thought this was the James Bond movie that should've been made (I understand Kojima sees his Snake series as his 'James Bond' but, boy, did Snake Eater drive it home). The only other time I've felt that was recently with the beginning to X-Men: First Class.

I don't know about newbie, I'm sure THX-1138 and American Graffiti (the latter having the largest budget to return ratio for quite some years) honed his skills a bit. As far as I know, 20th Century Fox funded STAR WARS and it wasn't until Empire did the movies start being funded entirely by Lucasfilm.

But back to the topic at hand, I'd love to see an adaptation of Snake Eater. Whether a sequel or the first of a franchise doesn't matter to me, I just want to hear and see that intro on the Big Screen. When I played Snake Eater the first time, I thought this was the James Bond movie that should've been made (I understand Kojima sees his Snake series as his 'James Bond' but, boy, did Snake Eater drive it home). The only other time I've felt that was recently with the beginning to X-Men: First Class.
Agreed, he wasn't exactly a newbie, but he wasn't the force that he is now,and he didn't fund it persay but he did give up his pay for merchandising rights.But as you said, back to the subject at hand. You hit the nail right on the head. When you hear that Snake Eater theme...it brings chills down your spine. I believe that should be the first movie. It is the first part chronologically in time, and would make it easier to follow for the non gaming audience. I think the opening of the movie should show the Boss sitting back in a chair , drifting off to the beginning of a bond movie, and as she falls asleep, she dreams of Snake in that bond intro, stealthily taking bond out from behind, and then the Snake Eater theme starts. Of course it would be her in an evening gown singing to Snake while the opening credits rolled.The words make it quite obvious that it IS the Boss singing to Snake so why not show it ? Goes along with the James Bond theme. I would like to hear everyone else's idea's for this movie series.

My wish list: Metal Gear Solid Film

-Solid Snake: Hugh Jackman/Tom Hardy
-Colonel Cambell: Kurt Russell/Tom Berenger
-Liquid Snake: Sean Bean
-Revolver: Gary Oldman/Daniel Day Lewis
-Octacon: Adrien Brody
-Raven: The Rock (if done right and not over the top)
-Sniper Wolf: Umna Thurman
-Mantis: Tom Hiddleston
-Meryl: Milla Jovoich
-Grey Fox: Karl Urban
-Naomi Hunter: Emily Blunt

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back