Metal Gear Rex - Kotobukiya model

JediMichael

Master Member
After playing through Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4 again, I decided I wanted to try and find a Rex model.
So I found this off Big Bad Toys for $80, so not too bad.
(Amazon was over $100)
I got home from work, and there it was....box not hidden or anything. Glad I've not had any issues with stealing sround here...theif would be like, what is this???
20221014_170009.jpg

Nice box.
20221014_170310.jpg

20221014_204944.jpg

Taking my time. Want to make it look good.
Also plan to prime and paint it, but with all the moving joints, will try and find the best way to go about it.
20221014_215623.jpg

Last edited:
So I decided the best way to tackle this, although making it much slower, would be to put some parts together, but prime things as I go, and then make sure they still connect and moving parts move.
But, want to make sure everything is fully dry before moving on.

So for these parts, took apart the areas where it moves.
20221016_133939.jpg

And while I'm priming/painting, figured I'd paint this firework mortar rack I bought for next year. Also have another, but different style. Both will be Red, White and Blue.
20221016_133932.jpg

I'll be watching this thread. Looking forward to seeing your progress!
I think after putting some of the primed stuff together, that maybe it will be easier to just put together, then lightly prime little at a time. After 2 days, it is tricky to get the parts together and makes the joints feel a bit sticky.
By the time I'm finished, I'll have figured it out.....I hope.

As for an actual update, got this part of the leg done. After those few days of drying, it does a little better, but I think Ill still do the priming afterwards.
And its pretty amazing how well this leg stands on its own. The ankle pivots and everything. They really put a lot of work into this little kit.

20221018_233211.jpg

Are you doing multiple light coats or one heavy coat of primer? There's so many variables to how paint will dry and react it's hard to pin down why it's taking multiple days for your pieces to dry.

Are you doing multiple light coats or one heavy coat of primer? There's so many variables to how paint will dry and react it's hard to pin down why it's taking multiple days for your pieces to dry.
Light coats, but within the hour, coated twice.

When pressing the parts together, at least it didn't leave finger prints or marks. Was a bit worried about that.

Glad I got some time tonight to get a little more together.
Definitely easier to put together not primed. And most everything that I did prime ended up most getting covered by other parts anyways.

These look like some robotical high heels.
20221023_223155.jpg

I do like that parts can move so you can pose it however you like, but they are tight enough to not be too loose.
So far, theres only two small parts that I did glue together.
20221023_223428.jpg

I use a small disposable nail file on my projects to clean up the sprue points. It's not very aggressive a few swipes and it gives the piece a nice finish.

I use a small disposable nail file on my projects to clean up the sprue points. It's not very aggressive a few swipes and it gives the piece a nice finish.
The parts on the "ankles", are actually sanded and pretty smooth, I just think the flash makes it look much worst than it is.
I'll still probably go over noticeable stuff again just incase, then primer will really show how it looks.

Little more done over last few days, but waited to have enough to show for.
Painted the tiny Liquid Snake.
1000001693.jpg

The whole thing is pretty tiny.
1000001694.jpg

Its kinda nice, after 10 pages in the book JUST putting the legs together, to actually be putting other stuff together. Only 7 pages left and its finished....and then figure out the painting.
1000001695.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back