Metal Bio Helmet?

MasterAnubis

Sr Member
Are all Bio Helmet cast resin? Are any vacuformed?
I was wanting to make one and what I would use is steel or aluminum. Given my skill level and resources metal would be much easier for me right now. I read Uratz excellent tutorial on sculpting one and I have done some small parts casting so I know if I made a metal helmet the I could eventuall reproduce it. Basically, I just wanted to know if anyone has had good results or even tried metal.

I know I'm might have scaling issues and I just read a thread Josh M. asking for help on size.
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=14704

Still, should I get a Bio Helmet to ensure correct propotions and size? I'm starting out with nothing but pictures. Not to say I won't be close, but if I'm going to put the effort in I might as wll be able to fit over good masks, right?

I don't want to go askin' stupid questions on one of my first posts, so any help is appriciated.

Thanks,
Shawn

my personal opinion is , what works for you , i think that most people sculpt because it applys to there skill and its lite and confortable i think if you are skilled in metal working then i think u should at least try it out it would turn out awesome but it would have to be a light metal like alluimas not to pull your latex mask down also since your a metal worker you should try your hand on some gautlet blade people would jump on them too

Yesterday I found a site where they were selling Bios where they combined somekind of aluminium or metal to the resine, making the touch cold and metalic. I don't remember the name of the site...
A bio made of steal might be heavy and not good to be wear. And it will probably damage the mask after a while I guess...

Thanks for the responces.
If a steel Bio is too heavy I could end up using it as a positive for a mold and still have a display peice. Keeping in mind that I will use thin sheet metal to hammerform. The compound curves will make the mask really sturdy even with thinner metal. I don't have the capability to weld aluminum. It will have to be about 8 separate pieces welded together. I was thinking about using a piece of stainless for the forhead and polishing that part. That may not be real pred like. Maybe for 'formal' hunts. I think it will be a great look.

I have cast car emblems in resin before and I've seen the powder additive they use to get a silver or bronzing tone. The place I got my supplys from does car emblems and some small reproductions of museum pieces. So those additives turn out really good.

The Gauntlet was somthing I was looking at doing too. One step at a time. I have a lot going on and I end up with incomplete projects too often.

Here's my case mod I built last year:
http://www.appetitefortech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5054
(I like showing it off)

Yesterday I found a site where they were selling Bios where they combined somekind of aluminium or metal to the resine, making the touch cold and metalic. I don't remember the name of the site...
A bio made of steal might be heavy and not good to be wear. And it will probably damage the mask after a while I guess...
That sounds like an idea and it would be as heavy but, it would look and sound like metal because of all the fragments coming together.

That was probably me. I've done that several times using aluminum, bronze and copper powders. It can be polished to a pretty decent shine, and if you find the right patina acids to weather it, paint need never touch it and it will still look amazing. Here's some pics of ones I've done with aluminum:
http://xad.xanga.com/535f4212d3133254239493/b202088607.jpg
http://xe3.xanga.com/6f3f47e375c32254239474/b202088595.jpg
http://xba.xanga.com/e6ff301776231254239500/b202088613.jpg

I would say go for it, see how it turns out. If you don't think it looks right, then maybe look at picking one up as a reference. I'd definitely like to see how it turns out.

Depends on materials. Mine are usually 2lbs or so. If you go with fiberglass you can get a lot lighter. With the metal powder they usually end up around 3lbs, which is still manageable.

b202088607.jpg
I think this is just awesome I want to learn how to do this. The more realistic the better!!!

b202088607.jpg

I think this is just awesome I want to learn how to do this. The more realistic the better!!!
Once I get going on it you'd be more than welcome to come check out my progress. As of yet, I haven't committed to it and with Christmas coming up I should really work on some of my gifts first. Make no mistake, it'll be laborious. Symitry is not one of my strong points. Making compound curves that mirror each other is something I have little practice at. Once I commit, I'll start a worklog(Huntorial) for it.

I've decided to buy a Bio(maybe even a mask) first, for size and proposional reference. I've drawn out a few ideas for my Bio. After I decide that I can figure out how many pieces will make it up based on shape and my forming capabilities.

I'm going to start another thread asking about Bio and mask size comparison.

Of course I think this might be different for everyone because if you are going to wear it on top of a mask the proportions will be slightly different because of a person's height and dimensions, but I still can't wait to see what you are able to come up with though.

Once I get going on it you'd be more than welcome to come check out my progress. As of yet, I haven't committed to it and with Christmas coming up I should really work on some of my gifts first. Make no mistake, it'll be laborious. Symitry is not one of my strong points. Making compound curves that mirror each other is something I have little practice at. Once I commit, I'll start a worklog(Huntorial) for it.

I've decided to buy a Bio(maybe even a mask) first, for size and proposional reference. I've drawn out a few ideas for my Bio. After I decide that I can figure out how many pieces will make it up based on shape and my forming capabilities.

hi im goin 2 hav a go at makin P1 armor out of .07 metal as im a welder and hav everything at work.might as well as its all there.

hi im goin 2 hav a go at makin P1 armor out of .07 metal as im a welder and hav everything at work.might as well as its all there.

I was thinking the same thing. I was also consitering 1/8" to 1/4" foam for some of it. I'm not sure what type of foam I saw but it would work really good for sitting on and being in a car.

I wouldn't worry too much about symmetry. Trust me, the P1 bio is quite a long way from perfectly symmetrical.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back