Merry Grinchmas!

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by WazzaSmithy, Sep 5, 2015.

1. WazzaSmithy

WazzaSmithy Jr Member

I was inspired to change up the classic Christmas lights and display to something more interactive, here in Australia, or at least in my neighborhood, people put up such elaborate displays it looks like a mall set-up.

Last year I dressed up in a costume I had from eBay to be The Grinch and greet passing cars, being only the age of 14, this was a lot of fun and now I want to do it again with a more professional set-up.

I will create a display involving lights, curtains, signs and cut-outs in my front yard, like a sign that says "Grinchmas" and "Whoville" houses.

I'm going to take the costume I already have and tweak it to a more professional look, while trying to spend as little as possible.

Here's the current costume:

How-the-Grinch-Stole-Christmas!---The-Grinch-Deluxe-Adult-Costume--Elope-BSEL-802009-One-Size-Re.jpg

I hope to change it up by, for one thing, removing the green tights and replacing them with fur pants to match the gloves such as the Universal Studios costume features here:

grinch__oPt.jpg

I also hope to get some red curly elf shoes to go with it such as this:

grinchshoes.jpg

If able too I will change the Santa coat to be more accurate to the movie but if not, the current one will do just fine.

I'll keep you posted throughout my Grinchmas journey.

This year will be a step up from last, I'm sure.

-WazzaSmithy

2. WazzaSmithy

WazzaSmithy Jr Member

This is the logo for the event, going to go on social media pages, flyers and signage at the event. Thoughts??

Grinchmas 2015.png

3. PotionMistress

PotionMistress Sr Member

LOVE the Grinch! What a great running project this will be! Even if you can only accomplish each bit one at a time, you will soon have a wonderful complete costume. If you are only 15, just think what you can do in the years ahead. Good luck with it all. I hope you keep us updated on your progress. I'm sure you will have loads of fun thinking of creative ways to tweek everything. Fantastic logo also!!
    :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  4. WazzaSmithy

WazzaSmithy Jr Member

Thanks, I'm actually 14, born in January so it gets confusing haha.

- - - Updated - - -

After school, going to check Amazon for the shoes, if I can't find anything I might have to visit some discount stores in November/December.

I'll keep you posted.

-WazzaSmithy

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  5. WazzaSmithy

WazzaSmithy Jr Member

The poster is done, I did it up in photoshop last night, I had to blank out the address as its hosted in my front yard(of my house) and the Facebook page is currently unpublished(for these edits) and only available to New Zealand & Australia(when published) since they're the only places with access to the event. None the less, enjoy this poster in the mean time as I search for costume add-ons and then I will share!

onlineposter.png

-WazzaSmithy

Grimwood likes this.
  6. Miker

Miker Well-Known Member

Looks like you are planning a good time! Good luck with the event and your costume. If you can't find red elf shoes easily, you could consider making some. I made mine out of an old pair of shoes, some craft stuffing, red felt and a strong glue. It may be a less expensive way to get what you are after. ;)

7. WazzaSmithy

WazzaSmithy Jr Member

That's actually a really good idea, do you have any photos of the result??

8. Miker

Miker Well-Known Member

Pm incoming.

9. WazzaSmithy

WazzaSmithy Jr Member

10. WazzaSmithy

WazzaSmithy Jr Member

In the stages of looking for some fur pants that match this photo:

grinch__oPt.jpg

If you have any suggestions, please let me know :)

-WazzaSmithy

JLeezy23 likes this.
  11. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

This looks like it'll be very fun to build! I think what you're looking for is "olive green mongolian fur" it looks just like those pants, Etsy sells it, but most of them are small portions and not by the yard. Here's a link for by the yard: https://www.fabric.com/buy/0317408/faux-fur-mongolian-olive

12. WazzaSmithy

WazzaSmithy Jr Member

Thanks! The Mongolian fur is to be ordered next month when my parents are able to (again, I am just 14) and then we will get it sewed.

51lABQk8kGL.jpg

The design will either be elastic pants or pants held up by suspenders.

green-legs1b.jpg green-legs.jpg

In the mean time, I found some base red rubber-like shoes to turn into red elf shoes as pictured, we will need to add white trim(fur) and a sleigh bell on the end of each toe/foot.

grinchshoes.jpg

-WazzaSmithy

13. WazzaSmithy

WazzaSmithy Jr Member

Fabric ordered to make the pants, got 3 yards for 80 bucks, shipping included, not a bad deal.

-WazzaSmithy

14. WazzaSmithy

WazzaSmithy Jr Member

Red elf shoes have arrived, no modifications yet, I will photograph in the next hour or so. They are current just the shoes, no trim or bells on the end.

-WazzaSmithy

15. WazzaSmithy

WazzaSmithy Jr Member

16. WazzaSmithy

WazzaSmithy Jr Member

The fabric has arrived!! I will be sewing them into pants with an elastic waist as well as elastic ankles, so the shoes stay perfectly visible.

12081514_932479770177952_2008349723_n.jpg

More updates to come soon!

-WazzaSmithy

JLeezy23 likes this.
  17. PotionMistress

PotionMistress Sr Member

LOVE the shoes!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  18. WazzaSmithy

WazzaSmithy Jr Member

After running ads, Grinchmas on Facebook got 200+ likes, so I'm running a Halloween competition on the page, winner getting a signed photo(of Grinch).

Going to get thread tonight for sewing, the fabric is already here and the white fur trim just arrived!

Can't wait til' this costume is complete!!

-WazzaSmithy

19. WazzaSmithy

WazzaSmithy Jr Member

Not much progress to document right now except for my aunty is now sewing together the fabric to make the pants for me :)

-WazzaSmithy

20. WazzaSmithy

WazzaSmithy Jr Member

Funnily enough, my Aunt just sent me this photo on Facebook, what do you guys think?

12188847_985503408138904_1084812024_n.jpg

-WazzaSmithy

21. WazzaSmithy

WazzaSmithy Jr Member

Costume: COMPLETE.

12244654_770134916446403_1768800775428167764_o.png

-WazzaSmithy

JLeezy23 likes this.
  22. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

Nice! It came out pretty awesome!