Mercury Capsule set for short film 'Infinity 7'

Brett Williams

Hey folks, for the last year or so I designed and built a replica interior set of a Mercury capsule for a short film I've been working on. We didn't have a huge budget so everything was handmade (using a lot of the techniques I've learned on the RPF actually!). It was a lot of work but a TON of fun to make.

Part 1: The Control Panels

All the control panels were built in my apartment in the Bay Area, so I didn't have a lot of room to work. With all the great reference material that exists from NASA, I was able to trace up the control panels pretty quickly and get them laser cut and painted.

IMG_0154.jpg

There were a few dozen breakers, indicator light covers and switch sockets, all of which I designed, 3D printed, then molded and casted.

IMG_0153.jpg
IMG_0797.jpg
IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

The indicator lights were all wired up with LEDs and connected to an Arduino so we could have things go bad for our astronaut in the film.

IMG_0029.jpg

I also had to make a few pull handles. They were 3d printed and smoothed with XTC3D. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how they came out.

IMG_0621.jpg
IMG_0760.jpg
IMG_0776.jpg

All of the gauges were drawn up in Illustrator and printed on gloss paper at FedEx.

IMG_1678.jpg

Lots and lots of breakers....

IMG_1655.jpg

First completed panel!

IMG_3165.jpg

Test fitting everything. This was definitely a "what did I get myself into???" moment!

IMG_1690.jpg

Finally complete!!

IMG_1767.jpg

Packed for shipping to Texas for filming! (So terrifying! A year's worth of work in one box!!)

IMG_1713.jpg

I'll cover building the actual set and installing all the panels in Part 2!

Part 2: The Cockpit

We started building up the base of the set using wood and marked out the size for the interior wall. We framed out the shell of the cockpit and started painting the interior.

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

At this point it started looking like.... something....

IMG_1741.jpg

The seat was a cheap plastic racing seat we painted the right color. We cut a hole for the window and added a few basic odds and ends to get started.

IMG_1762.jpg

After this point, we were able to start mounting in the control panels into the cockpit. A lot of the miscellaneous hardware in the rest of the cockpit came from scrap air conditioners. Our star/producer's friend owns an air condition repair company and he let us pilfer his scrap to for a lot of the larger components. The rest is misc stuff from Home Depot, wiring from old Alfa Romeos, etc. Not 100% accurate but good enough for a film set!

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

By the end of it the outside still didn't really look like much.

IMG_1865.jpg

But the inside turned out great!

IMG_1856.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

And here's a shot from the final film:

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 5.22.46 PM.jpg

If you're interested in checking out the teaser trailer, it's available here:

Thanks!

I liked it, I wish you coulda added alittle special effect of the helmet floating when he pull's it off. and just wondering why the original short trailer said "coming fall 2018"? :unsure:

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back