Meow's Ultimate Spider-Man Bagley Style Build

Long overdue update to the first post and continued here...

Forming the shell. This was the most exciting part! I heated 1/8" thick ABS plastic I got from a local supplier. I now know that 1/8" is too thick and will probably go with 3/32" or 1/16" next time. The shell is slightly smaller than TJack's.
View attachment 394238 View attachment 394240 View attachment 394239

Next, what I thought was the hardest part, forming the lense.
I used boiling water, it wasn't hot enough. I used a lighter torch, I burned some parts of the lense. I finally gave in and used my heat gun. I set it to low (650F), and held it about 2 inches away and evenly heated the frames until they became moldable. I have magnets to attach the frames to the shell, but they are too small and not that powerful. I ordered new ones. They should be here by next week.
View attachment 394247 View attachment 394246 View attachment 394248

What do you people think about the angle of the frames? Does it look good?

I want one!!! Epic job in terms of the shape!!! Will you be selling face shells once you work out the thickness?

I want one!!! Epic job in terms of the shape!!! Will you be selling face shells once you work out the thickness?

Thanks. I spent weeks working on the pep file and days chiseling and sanding the hydrocal master.

I want to sell these as an alternative for those with small heads (20-21” circumference). With the local supplier, I can probably sell these at a really low price. But I feel like I would be putting a disservice to those who are already well known and respected for their work (TJack).

Besides, there are some flaws I want to work out with the master and the outcome of the forming. However, it would be awhile before I am satisfied with the results.

Thanks. I spent weeks working on the pep file and days chiseling and sanding the hydrocal master.

I want to sell these as an alternative for those with small heads (20-21” circumference). With the local supplier, I can probably sell these at a really low price. But I feel like I would be putting a disservice to those who are already well known and respected for their work (TJack).

Besides, there are some flaws I want to work out with the master and the outcome of the forming. However, it would be awhile before I am satisfied with the results.

Well I don't think it would be any harm if the price is low if its a comic faceshell and not a TASM 2 or Rami style faceshell. Can't wait to see the progress!

Finished the lense!! The magnets came early. It turns out my suit is a little too small for me. the beltline is a few inches above the waist and the mask gets really white when stretched with the ABS shell. It's fine since I plan to do a movie suit in the future. I'll probably go with the overdye route so I can at least make the suit more presentable.

The film has the crinkling going on which I'm okay with. The frames are also not completely flush with the shell due to the film hugging the shell.

IMG_20141025_174513.jpg IMG_20141025_174529.jpg

Anyone know any alternatives for the film? I know about using a splatter screen. Is there anything else?

Finished the lense!! The magnets came early. It turns out my suit is a little too small for me. the beltline is a few inches above the waist and the mask gets really white when stretched with the ABS shell. It's fine since I plan to do a movie suit in the future. I'll probably go with the overdye route so I can at least make the suit more presentable.

The film has the crinkling going on which I'm okay with. The frames are also not completely flush with the shell due to the film hugging the shell.

View attachment 394547 View attachment 394548

Anyone know any alternatives for the film? I know about using a splatter screen. Is there anything else?

White transparent spandex?

Hello everyone,

It's been two years since I had the urge to do it, but I finally started making my own Spider-Man costume! This thread will be updated really slowly since school just started. But I plan on having the suit finished before Halloween.

Info on my print:
  • Modified Ken's free ASM2 Pattern used
  • The New Blood's Bagley symbols and blue color used
  • Printed and assembled by ZentaiZone

Here's how the print looks.

View attachment 367177 View attachment 367178
I tried taking the pictures in natural light, but it turned out too bright.

Here's how the front looks with incandescent bulbs and after eating. :$

View attachment 367179 View attachment 367181
Here's a better picture in natural light. I really like how the bricks look. :D

Supplies I'm using right now.
  • High density furniture foam
  • Tjack's Faceshell and Lense
  • Pepakura cardboard faceshell.
View attachment 367188
I planned on using the foam for the faceshell since it's a little big for my head. But that idea was a bust. Tjack's faceshell is just too big for me. :(
So I made a cardboard faceshell using JFCustom's pep file. That faceshell didn't turn out the way I want either.

So I just made the regular Gimpee faceshell.
View attachment 367189
This turned out really well! I just need a way to strengthen it.

=====================================================================================================

Did some testing using the wood glue method from the 405th forum. I used whatever I had laying around my garage: Loctite Wood Worx.
At first, I thought it didn't work because the cardstock would just become flimsy and not strong. I gave up and was looking for another method for hardening/strengthening, but when I checked on my test sheet and parts, it became pretty tough. It just needed extra time to dry.

Test part. I threw away my test cardstock since I broke it doing stress tests.
View attachment 369419

Here's my faceshell reinforced with an unnecessary amount of bamboo skewers. I didn't want to risk any warping since the glue is mixed with water. Water + Paper = BAD!!!
Supplies and prepping the glue.
View attachment 369420 View attachment 369421 View attachment 369422

After about 10-15 minutes, I finished the first coat for the.
View attachment 369424

I waited about 1.5 hours for the glue to settle. I then applied a slightly thicker second coat. I'm going to wait until sometime tomorrow to add the final layer and then let it dry for about a day. Then I'm going to remove the bamboo braces and do about 2 coats inside the faceshell.

===========================================================================================================

I finished up the coats of wood glue. It warped around the eyes a bit, but that's my fault for not gluing on the eye frame supports.
I also filled and smoothed it out with wood filler and primer/filler spray paint.
View attachment 373907
I didn't really bother with getting it perfectly smooth since it's pretty much unnecessary.

Here are some pictures my brother took of me wearing the faceshell. We didn't bother centering the mask since we were just testing.
View attachment 373911 View attachment 373909 View attachment 373910 View attachment 373908

You can see that in some angles you can see the faceshell.
My solution: Cast the shell and form it with plastic! :D

That will probably be a whiles away since I have to get casting/molding material. And on top of that, build a vacuum former...

=========================================================================================================

I finished the vacuum former earlier this week. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the outcome!
View attachment 378332

Here's a small test I did with a ball bearing toy. It takes the shape really well!
View attachment 378334

Now that I know it works, I need to buy some casting/molding material and some larger plastic sheets! :)

===============================================================================================

I covered the eyes on the shell and used drywall spackle to make it a little more round.
View attachment 394167

After I got the supplies, I created the mold and used hydrocal(plaster) to cast.
View attachment 394181 View attachment 394182 View attachment 394179 View attachment 394180

This thing weighs a ton!! I used a chisel and sand paper to lessen the size of the nose. I also made the head more round.
View attachment 394182

And I reached the image limit.... I should have made multiple posts...

Can you talk to zentai zentai about the pattern you made mixing my symbols with ken's tasm 2 file? They are taking your idea and claiming its their idea... All I want is them to credit it me like they do with ken.

Can you talk to zentai zentai about the pattern you made mixing my symbols with ken's tasm 2 file? They are taking your idea and claiming its their idea... All I want is them to credit it me like they do with ken.

Sure. I'll try contacting them now. I'll keep you posted.

I pretty much finished the suit. Minus not doing the soles of the feet.

I forgot about Free Comic Book Day, so I only had about a week to finish the suit. I built a new vacuum former in a couple of days. The pulls from this new one are much better compared to my previous one. There are still a few problems, but I think it's good enough. I attached the frames that I made using some neodymium magnets, drilled some breathing holes, and added some foam to the inside.

IMG_20150428_200529.jpg IMG_20150501_235602.jpg IMG_20150501_235616.jpg

After, I put the suit on with the shell underneath. I looked and measured where I would cut the holes on the suit. I sewed the cut edge to the inside to prevent fraying. I might use some kind of glue later as I only had a short time to finish the suit.

IMG_20150501_235642.jpg

And with that, the suit is finished. Here are some shots my sister took at 1AM, morning of FCBD...

IMG_20150502_002904.jpg IMG_20150502_003033.jpg

Here's a side shot of the face shell under the mask. If there's any interest for a cheap, small, universal face shell, I might consider doing a small run of these.

IMG_20150502_003146.jpg

Infamous tilted mirror shot.

IMG_20150503_151504.jpg

After wearing the suit for a few hours during FCBD, here are some minor things I'm going to change:
- Enlarge the eyes holes on the shell and suit
- More breathing holes
- Add more foam padding to the shell
- Finish putting the shoe soles in the suit.

I'll post some pictures from FCBD later.

**EDIT**

I just wanted to thank The New Blood for posting the Ultimate suit and the frames for people to use.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back