Men in Black Tri-Barrel Rifle WIP (New Pics 2-23-12)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Rusty85, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

I just recently got these from a buddy on here. I know that there aren't all that many pictures floating around of them so I thought I'd take some time and post a few. I'll try and get a few better ones a little later but this is the best I could get at the moment. Hope you guys enjoy them and a big thank you to the member who helped me finally get my dream props!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. Mxlplx

Mxlplx Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: MIB Pulsar Blaster and Tri-Barrel

SOOOOOOOOOO Jealous!

3. agliarept

agliarept Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey rusty!!! really really happy for you bud, very glad you were able to get them. those are def a beautiful sight to see. enjoy them!

4. ave4uevoli

ave4uevoli Sr Member

Nice!!!!!

(Also glad to see there are still Camel smokers in the world) :thumbsup

5. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice score!

Did'nt the worm guys smoke camels? ;)

6. Nicksdad

Nicksdad Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome pieces, congrats.

7. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Pretty psyched about these things, thanks for the comments!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  8. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Well, I hit the Tri-Barrel with some primer to check and see how much work it'll need. Its actually not too bad so I'm going to start doing some sanding tomorrow.

9. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Re: Men in Black Tri-Barre Rifle WIP

I'm wanting to fill this thing was something to make it a little more sturdy. Is there anything that I can do that with that won't weigh it down heavily? I know that foam usually expands and that might demolish it and resin is too heavy. What are my other options?

10. FakeBritishAccent

FakeBritishAccent Sr Member

Re: Men in Black Tri-Barrel Rifle WIP

Is that a hole that I see on the forward pump action slide? Perhaps you can use the hole to put a bit more resin in there and slush it around. You'll get the strength of a thicker resin body without the weight of solid resin.

11. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Where the front of the barrels would be is actually completely open so I could pour anything into it at this point. I think you're right though, resin will probably be the strongest thing.

12. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

New pictures! Did a lot of filling and sanding after some coats of primer, getting ready to spray on the next now to smooth some of the seems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Contec

Contec Master Member

Re: Men in Black Tri-Barrel Rifle WIP (New Pics 2-19-12)

are you going to plate it?

14. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Yes once I get it all smoothed out that's my plan.

15. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Here's where I hope to have it when its done, with all the dials and knobs painted of course. Jim told me where this one was plated so I'm going to go that route in the end.

[​IMG]

16. agliarept

very very very cool! it's going to look so sweet when you finish that puppy!!

17. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Wow, that's soooo cool. Wish you'd cast it!!! :lol

18. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Great score man. Those are some of the coolest props in movie history IMHO.

19. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Here's the newest batch of photo's, I got some good shots outside finally. Still working on the back of the gun and top of the scope. I've also did some dremeling and work on the mold lines on the clip. The line going up the back of the gun where it was originally able to come apart was too jagged so I just filled it in. The bottom panel was supposed to come off where the clip is to allow to see the inside electronics but on this cast its molded all as one part. I wonder if it'd be possible to remove it to get inside to do some lights without cracking the main body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Can any Dremel experts tell me if I'd be able to chop off the bottom panel on this thing without cracking the main body? It looks as though most of the inside has been coated thickly with resin. You can see the part, its flat with screws on the sides that the clip goes into.

21. FakeBritishAccent

FakeBritishAccent Sr Member

An EZ-Lock metal cutting disc should slice through it like butter, but just to be safe, I would drill a small hole into the flat area and use a Keyhole Saw to slowly slice in your cavity. But still, don't be afraid of cracking! Everything can be fixed AND made more secure afterwards! Why do you need to chop open the bottom panel?

22. Rikarus

Rikarus Well-Known Member

Have you considered filling it with that spray in expanding insulating foam from the HOme Depot stores and the like, it's reasonably light, hardens well and would strangthen up the cast and give it that solid ....weapony...feel.

NIce work can't wait to see it finished!!!

23. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Sorry guys I didn't even notice anyone had replied. I've pretty much got the bottom panel off now along with the clip which I want to scratch build as the back portion is slightly uneven where it was put together.

Here's a picture to show the bottom rectangle panel. I wanted to remove it to allow for the electronics and to put a new clip. As you can see when the two halves of the gun were joined together the panel was completely uneven and had miscast corners. I'm going to just get a new one machined out of metal that I can take on and off to allow me to get inside easier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll try and post a few more pictures tonight of how it looks without it. Also should have the front pump smoothed out by tonight.

24. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Would there be any interest in one of these? Its a stunt casting so unfortunately some details were lost but I'm thinking about selling a few casts to make some extra money to pay some bills. This isn't an interest thread though so if enough people respond I'll start one over in the JY.

25. agliarept

Hey Rusty, ....... nope. lol kidding, I'm in. lol

26. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

No BS i would sell a * for one of these.

27. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

By the way, PLEASE do not try to use expanding foam on this piece. I promise you, it will destroy it. As was suggested earlier, your best bet is to slush some resin around inside.

Trust me on this. Expanding foam will kill this piece.

28. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

I felt the same way Bowelrock, I wanted a good one of these for a long time now. I didn't actually end up filling it with anything as of yet, I'm trying to figure out how to handle the front barrels as they're hollow. The original prop has some intricate work that looks as though it can only be machined. I'm waiting for Jim to find a good reference photo he has, but until then I've just been patching and sanding as much as possible and can't seem to find any really detailed reference photos to use. If anyone has anything, please go ahead and post it.

29. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

Expanding foam will not hurt anything..... Just so long as you dont try and fill it in one shot do multiple small batches and monitor the foams progress. Wait till it stops moving then pour your next batch, also have a decent hole hole for the foam to vent from. 1.5" is usually more than enough. I have done it plenty of times with my own projects with no issue.......

30. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

I have to echo the spray foam idea as a no-no. Steer far, far away. You should definitely give it a resin slushy.

As for those detailed bits . . .i recall Rick saying they were mostly Radio Shack bits and the like . . .but it's been a while since I read that thread.

Looking forward to updates!

31. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

Spray foam like "Great stuff " Is garbage. U need a good rigid foam like 20-16 from MPK. It will cause no issues so long as you go in small batches.

32. MrSinistar

MrSinistar Well-Known Member

I trust Matt on this: no foam.

33. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

Foam is the best bet i disagree.

34. Volpin

Volpin Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Tossing in another anti-foam vote. Even with keeping a close eye on things, it can all go horribly wrong. If you had the mold for this piece and could pull a replacement, I don't think it would be as much of a concern. Since its a unique one-off, I'd exercise caution.

35. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

The heat caused by resin could cause issues as well Like warping and delamination from the inside.. TOMATO tomato........

Do what you want Rusty. In the end i still am going to want a casting of this awesome gun when and if they are offered.

36. Jediguy

Jediguy Well-Known Member

sorry for the necro post but * I'd kill for this!

37. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

Any update on these Rusty?

38. Agent A

Agent A Active Member

:OOOOO~~~~~~~ Me wants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!