Men in Black International (MIB)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Vivek, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

Disappointed, but not surprised. I didn't see the 3rd one, and don't feel bad about that.

3. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

3rd one was far greater then the second one.... im a huge MIB fan. im curious to see where this goes, heck they can always place it at the same time as will smith but base on 2 other agents

edge10 and harrisonp like this.
  4. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've always felt that they had many missed opportunities in the original three movies. If it were me writing these next movies I would do it Forrest Gump style, where interactions with aliens happened in conjunction with historical events but covered up due to the alien nature.

sztriki, Wes R, harrisonp and 2 others like this.
  5. batguy

batguy Sr Member

The 3rd one was surprisingly good. If they were smart they would have already sequel'd it.

But the studio probably looked at the weak BO draw and blamed #3. They should have realized that #3 was taking the financial punishment #2 left in its wake, and a decent 4th movie would have done much better.

Typical studio idiocy. Absolutely no thinking outside of this fiscal quarter, either before or after.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  6. Krull

Krull Sr Member

I saw three and I actually would like another film with Josh Brolin as an MIB agent.

edge10, Wes R and harrisonp like this.
  7. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

This is one of the few instances in rebooting of a franchise where I think the decision makes sense. Will Smith can't be in these movies without being...Will Smith: Hero and Center of Attention. He's not the guy who sits at the desk and gives out missions. Tommy Lee Jones could maybe do that, but I think he's probably about done with all of that. Josh Brolin, maybe.

Anyway, the concept is sound. It's perfect for doing different stories about multiple teams.

Just....y'know...learn from >ahem< other franchises and their decisions and make it part of the established continuity instead of a hard reboot.

Riceball likes this.
  8. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Knowing Hollywood it'll be WiB Women in Black, or really cutting edge TGiB TransGender in Black starring Bru...er Caitlyn Jenner.

Wes R and Riceball like this.
  9. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

And all of those things would be OK, because people are people are people.

jarvis likes this.
  10. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Riceball likes this.
  11. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Yes but my point is Hollywood is more interested in being trendy by itself with no backing of substance. It's the cotton candy effect. Oh it's all big and impressive at first, but can be squooshed back down to the teaspoon it came from.

Riceball and Wes R like this.
  12. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

That's really the problem, Hollywood is more concerned with promoting artificial controversy to get butts in seats than in just making good movies, for the sake of making good movies.

Wes R likes this.
  13. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

This is actually one case where having two women would make sense. Didn't they make Linda Fiorentino's character an agent at the end of MIB? Then they didn't follow through in the next movie. The only problem there is that in "real" MIB sightings it's always men.

14. AJTaliesen

AJTaliesen Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This one would make more sense as a tv series in my opinion.

15. halliwax

i could actually see a tv series though, you could do a xfiles kinda thing with different teams so u could involve multiple characters. i can even see a series like COPS, where they would have a camera man follow them around on investigations lol

Riceball likes this.
  16. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Rumor is that they want to do a 22 jump street cross over and may now make it more of a comedy / cop adventure genre film series.
    Which to me totally destroys the mythical feel of the Men in Black.

CT1138 likes this.
  17. halliwax

i have to agree with you on that...

18. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

That's what it is already, no, a buddy-cop-action comedy?

The MIB premise is so simple that it could be taken in numerous directions. Will Smith has a charming, funny screen persona, but the series easily can continue without him.

19. halliwax

what i mean is like watching a episode of COPS. having a camera guy sitting in the back of a crown vic and having MIB agents go on random calls and investigations. in high school i always tried talking my tv production class into doing a MIB skit like that. nothing ever came of it.. :(

20. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

http://deadline.com/2018/02/men-in-black-f-gary-gray-directing-sony-pictures-amblin-1202276051

21. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Still a viable concept even with out Will and Tommy Lee, hopefully they will not screw it up

Mr Webber likes this.
  22. SickleClaw

SickleClaw Active Member

Yeah I agree with this. Maybe take a page from Bright and have one of the aliens be an agent this time? After all the first film showed that if the aliens play by the rules etc they could be citizens. Also maybe play into the modern themes of immigration reflected in today's world.

Apollo likes this.
  23. Agent A

Agent A Active Member

Greetings MIB Agents, Bugs, Archillians, Civils, and Scum of the Universe...

The Men in Black will be returning!! To a big screen at a galaxy near you.

Chris-Hemsworth-Men-in-Black.jpg

The film was originally slated for release on May 17, 2019 but has since been pushed back to June 14, 2019. Columbia Pictures, owned by Sony, will be producing the film. Writers Matt Holloway and Art Marcum were enlisted to write the script. The writers are best known for their work on Jon Favreau's Iron Man and Michael Bay's Transformers: The Last Knight. The director F. Gary Gray, most recently known for Straight Outta Compton and The Fate of the Furious, has been chosen to direct the film.

While it had been leaked during that Sony hacks that they were considering a cross over film between MIB and 21 Jumpstreet, that idea has been scrapped in favor of a complete reboot, possibly spin off. The director worded it as a "Spinoff grounded in the original premise." It was also said that purpose is to relaunch the franchise with a new cast.

Steven Spielberg will be the executive producer once again. Producers Walter Parks and Laurie Macdonald have said the film will be reinvented as a trilogy. Chris Hemsworth is officially in negotiations with Sony to star as one of the MIB agents. The new MIB story will take place in London, England.

Sources below:

http://therealstanlee.com/men-in-black-spin-off-films-release-date-set-by-sony-pictures/

http://therealstanlee.com/men-in-black-spin-off-has-found-a-director-in-f-gary-gray/

http://therealstanlee.com/thor-actor-in-negotiations-to-play-in-sonys-men-in-black-spin-off/

Photo Credit: https://screenrant.com/men-in-black-reboot-filming-start-date/

Now, my personal thoughts...

I'm very excited for a new MIB film and even trilogy! That being said, I am very skeptical as it seems 90's movies are being rebooted and ruined left and right. I think the 21 Jumpstreet-MIB was horrendous and I'm very glad that was scrapped. I can only hope the new spinoff will be much better than that idea! ..But I will not hold my breath! I would much prefer to have a reboot than some spoofy spin off of an already comedic movie. I would love to see Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith return as MIB directors or senior agents! So, I am skeptical, but excited!

Now. Let me speculate or conspiracy theorize a little...
    After MIB 3, I have taken a love for the Kingsman movies for their uncanny resemblance to Men in black and the plethora of MIB references found in them; Such as the unlikely and maladjusted young man chosen to be an agent of a secret organization that polices and monitors the planet earth, the main character has a pug as his sidekick, is partnered up with a father figure senior agent, high-tech weaponry, memory erasers, memory un-erasers, etc, etc. Kingsman: The Secret Service appeared to me as an MIB spinoff in the first place, but set in England. Now, Kingsman: The Golden Circle brings the setting back to the United States. In fact I felt that Kingsman 2 uncannily mirrored the plot of MIB 2. Men in Black was set in New York, and now it's moving to... London, England? Why.. Just why? Anyway, the coincidences are far too many for me! So, I wonder...will we be seeing a MIB - Kingsman crossover instead? Sounds crazy.. but it's certainly not crazier than a 21 Jumpstreet-MIB crossover. And one connection to consider is that Channing Tatum starred as an agent in 21 Jumpstreet, but he also starred as an Agent in Kingsman:The Golden Circle. So, I do believe there is cause for speculation that we could be seeing a Men in Black crossover with Kingsman instead of 21 Jumpstreet. Food for thought!

I can totally see a MIB-Kingsman crossover working. Their worlds are very similar. That being said, I don't know how I would feel about such a cross-over. I feel like it would take away from the MIB franchise, but at the same time I really love the Kingsman movies too. Much like MIB, Kingsman has a perfect balance of seriousness and humor along with a strong dose of buttkicking. Atlas' I would much rather see a continuation of the MIB films with an MIB 4! If not, then I would much rather see a reboot of MIB minus the spinoff!

Feel free to add any MIB film release details as they arise or share your thoughts!

-A

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Riceball likes this.
  24. benhs1898

benhs1898 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I actually thought the 21 Jump Street mashup would have been good. MiB 2 and 3 were not as cool as the first and packed with forced humor. The 21JS movies were funny. At least the crossover would have been funnier than the last two MiB's.

Regardless of my opinions, all I really care about is another possible chance that someone will replicate the MiB 1 neuralyzer with the digital year display.

25. Apollo

Meh not feeling it

26. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

They've invented time travel?

Riceball likes this.
  27. MrSouthpaw

MrSouthpaw Sr Member

I just don't see the need for more of these.

I mean, what would they do? Yet another alien or alien species threatening Earth? They pretty much used that up during the first three movies.

Apollo likes this.
  28. halliwax

Love MIB! Second one was horrible, but 3 was nice seeing it on screen.

I thought they could have always focused on different agents in the same time line

Something to look forward to! I’m excited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. Agent A

Agent A Active Member

Haha, whoops! Correction: "The film was originally slated for release on May 17, 2019 but has since been pushed back to June 14, 2019." However, they -did- invent time travel in MIB3!

Riceball likes this.
  30. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

MIB spin-off Men in Black International also stars Emma Thompson as Agent O as seen in Men in Black 3, so this movie is set in the previous MIB universe.

@chrishemsworth: " #FBF shooting MIB with my partner in galaxy protection @TessaThompson_x when we were ripping aliens a new one. From memory, this shot was taken in between set ups when we noticed some criminal activity on the streets in London. #MIBInternational @MenInBlack "

Dt0iRVXVYAAMZ5y.jpg MIB_International.png

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Larry T and Strikerkc like this.
  31. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

Well, it certainly looks like MIB. We'll see about the rest of it.

32. Strikerkc

Strikerkc Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Now that, looks like fun.

33. halliwax

i cant wait, im a huge fan of MIB!

34. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would love to see a cameo by Wiil Smith or Tommy Lee Jones.

Riceball likes this.
  35. Apollo

Getting a bad vibe about this one

36. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

I've never really been a huge MIB fan, so this will need to have an amazing trailer to get me to the theater to see it.

Gonna need a lot more than a Thor and Valkyrie reunion.

37. CT1138

CT1138 Sr Member

Love MIB, and I'll probably see this one.

The only thing I don't get is... international? Considering the MIB's MO is rehabilitating alien life forms to Earth society and defending Earth from the bad ones, hasn't that always been something of an international gig? I mean, lets face it, I'd assume there's MIB offices all over the world. NYC can't be the only place on the planet aliens are visiting.

Rusty85 likes this.
  38. The Searcher

The Searcher Well-Known Member

Now I’m not a misogynist or against women or anything like that, but aren’t these movies called MEN in Black?
    It’s fine casting a female for a lead role in the film, but someone’s got to at least change the title to reflect that, or else it’s just weird.

39. Strikerkc

eh, no they don't. it's an org with no real honest to god official name, because they "don't exist", and they'd adopted the moniker that conspiracy theorists called them back in the day when they first showed up and happened to be all men.

You need them to go rename the X-Men too?

40. edge10

edge10 Sr Member

How about: PWIANSIB (People Who Identify as Narcoleptic Sloths in Black).

Riceball likes this.
  41. Strikerkc

As long as you put a 'Q' at the end for people that may be some of those things, but not all of them. I'll allow the PWIANSIB-Q to police the fragile balance between alien refugees and the ignorant public.

Riceball likes this.
  42. The Searcher

The Searcher Well-Known Member

My reasoning behind it was that the entire franchise was based on the urban legends/possibly real incidents of Men in Black questioning supposed UFO/unexplained phenomena witnesses. I don’t recall any of the cases studied involving a woman who wasn’t the witness.

43. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

That's because of the neuralizer. Duh...

Riceball and Strikerkc like this.
  44. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Trailer is out:

THAT looks rather promising, I dare to say.

Riceball and Nopal like this.
  45. Nopal

Nopal Active Member

So many new weapons and props!! New neuralyzer! I'm in.

46. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

That looks like a lot of fun.

47. Strikerkc

I like the portrait of J and K.

48. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

I really like the look of this. Just as excited about this as when I saw the first MIB. It looks like a fun movie!

49. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The aliens certainly seem a bit towned down.

50. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yup, I think the Worm Guys quit smoking, right?