MEN IN BLACK — SERIES 4 DEATOMIZER — FINISHED W/ VIDEO!!!

Re: Men in Black- Series 4 Deatomizer Update 4/21/17

Pat just go to ebay and search 1/4" reinforced tubing. The stuff with 2mm wall is pretty much 7/16 OD

Re: Men in Black- Series 4 Deatomizer Update 4/21/17

Well, I had ordered a few parts from Shapeways and they came in today. I was doing another dry run and didn't have enough of the screws to attach everything. I'll be going by Sunday to pickup the rest. Just like Joatrash said there have been a number of issues that have come up because of the main body being printed in ABS and then the smaller parts being done in resin. The original RPF member I got my parts from has said they are going to replace all the parts that were poor quality so I'm waiting to hear from them still. Here are a few photos of what's attached as of now. The rear plate now fits but one of the edges wouldn't clear when it was being tightened and a small crack happened. That edge will need to be sanded to make clearance easier. The resin grips also did not fit the body and have been resized by Skylu3d to fit the ABS body. The difference was about 3mm or so. The bottom magazine piece also needs to be sanded as well for the bottom handle of the grip to close all the way. While there has been some setbacks it's still moving along!

IMG_9818.jpeg

IMG_9820.jpeg

....and now here we are. Pat sent the gun back because it wasnt really going together as well as he wanted. The 3D printing was pretty bad and some errors in the design didnt allow certain parts to fit and to be honest most every part were just wrong. Of coarse one thing led to another and before you know it im pretty much remaking everything....sometimes a couple times...lol Rusty agreed we post some of the progress that has been made.

The shells had a tongue and groove system to hold them together but the printing didnt allow for it to fit so they were removed, here they are after they were removed and the shells trued up.

NDX71A7.jpg

TRdnm1P.jpg

pmBF4N6.jpg

vc8JZkN.jpg

The top tube was never going to work right so i decided to just make one along with the piece that goes on the side and an end ring. I also found the correct knob that was on the original prop but it ONLY took 2 years to actually find some for sale.

JwsCPWN.jpg

0fwuP2d.jpg

Couple of side doodads made.

KQAuQbk.jpg

Here is one of the cylinders i remade....couple times. The right is the original resin, center is the first one i made to replace it but after relooking at the reference i realized its not even close, the one on the left is what its actually supposed to look like. Pretty much the same as the fronts but shorter. I remade the front to use the original resin ends but i will be remaking them since the detail spacings are a bit off.

vz83ijw.jpg

3D9e2oR.jpg

BpbrenC.jpg

Here it is with the blade cut into the end..wish i had a mill to do this but i had to make due with a file..lol

QE0QzzH.jpg

GDbecAZ.jpg

Last edited:
I remade these hose holding doodads but the hose is too big, We found the right stuff and its on the way to me now. I also made one of the side tanks but i messed up trying to figure it out so all these parts will be remade.....

wbwL1HB.jpg

jevQl3G.jpg

Here is the side knob base plate cut out of the tube and the mounting holes drilled. Also cut out the old tube, still need to fit it here.

RGNgHz3.jpg

Heeesw2.jpg

Found a better lower switch that was completly black and remade the magazine base plate because the original was way off. First go at it was too big and not shaped right.

GTKIH6R.jpg

pWHAQ5N.jpg

Here it is trimmed down and a few areas corrected.

KyUjA7E.jpg

0oR7UkK.jpg

Here is the tube fitted, only a couple tiny spots to fill due to an over jealous file operator......also need to fill in those slot below the top tube,they were supposed to hold the front little cylinders but they dont even come close to them....besides they are supposed to be held on by screws which is how the prop was and how these will be.

JNdWu2N.jpg

TMXtx7p.jpg

And by some miraculous luck, with the top saw tooth part in the center of the tube and the tube fitted the knob base plate fit perfectly in between !!

6CD5iqP.jpg

3EvaqFt.jpg

I guess Rustys liking it, he started out asking if it was repairable to wanting electronics....haha

kYAXXnX.jpg

Thats where it sits. More aluminum and hose is coming. I still need to remake the trigger in aluminum, attempt to make the barrel, remake the front cylinders and big tanks, an end cap for the top tube, and Pat went all out and ordered some corregated hose to replace that stuff as well. Should be a decent little prop when done......as long as i can figure out the finish.....

Last edited:
A little more done this weekend.
Top tube is done. Although it will all come apart towards the end for a re polish. I used a potentiometer on the knob for a smooth knob turning experience...lol

FnyXrWM.jpg

s1roUHI.jpg

New small tube holders are done and shells opened up to fit them. A little filling needs to be done..

WdL2hb9.jpg

RqFW0gl.jpg

New small tubes compared to first try. Not 100% happy with the ends so i will try to do something else for the little blades.

OR04Mp1.jpg

QDZeTdq.jpg

Polished up the magazine base and trigger which exposed some fine marks so they will get cleaned up at the end when i re polish everything. I put the top lever on the trigger so if Rusty decides to add some electronics later the lever can activate a microswitch.

zOmPEhM.jpg

5BbQpPj.jpg

I ended up cutting off the rear section. It was designed too high so it just didnt look right. It also prevents the proper 1/4" thick shelf that goes on top of it from fitting and got in the way of the back of the big tanks that go on the side. Also had to increase the slot size as they were too small.

1izfHJy.jpg

9UFo4Rs.jpg

Next project is the barrel assembly, the one that came with it is way too small and shaped completely wrong and it really needs to be aluminum at this point. Also need to make the big tanks. Just a couple more parts and this puppy will be ready to get some sort of finish , unfortunately the last few parts are going to be a PITA...lol

I redid the side tanks. They came out right this time. Also started the barrel and made the jig to machine the grooves. Still have a few things to do to make that happen like drill some set screws to hold it in place while grooving it and making a piece to hold the jig to my Unimat.

i7tYR0n.jpg

0EuUpeB.jpg

jfiySkA.jpg

u8ruIlB.jpg

9gq5Lrq.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back