Well this was a bit of a pain and way more work then i expected. Not all the slots are perfectly even but looking at my reference it seems the props barrel end didnt have the slots even either. My tribarrel casting shows the same uneven grooves on its barrels so it seems to be a pattern. Its not perfect but its about as good as i can with with current equipment.... ignore the very ends. Im going to redo the front end as the angle should be steeper and the groove isnt supposed to be as deep and the rear with all the locating holes gets cut off. I'll probably make the tip seperate. I think thats how the original was done.
Rear plate is coming along. Taking forever with this midget mill though. I did the perimeter outline with a 1/16" end mill and then a 3/16 to clean out the center but its taking alot of passes due the fragility of the 1/16 and then motor not liking to turn a 3/16 bit. I still need to do another 4-5 passes at least to get to the right depth. Then go back with the 1/16 to clean up the perimeter edge and the corners. I was hoping to get it finished tomorrow but it looks like the gov is shutting down NC for 30 days so i need to go to my house tomorrow instead and finish the barrel parts because i wont be able to touch my lathe for 30 days. Really stinks. Im contemplating attempting to make the plate with all the holes but im not sure i can get that many holes to line up.....lol
Barrel is starting to look pretty damn good if i say so myself.....lol I did end up removing the first tip and remade a seperate one to match the prop. Still have to file the grooves into the tip and slots on the end of the main tube. I did thread and tap and screw this together since these pics were taken so if the end looks crooked to the barrel that is why. I bored alot of the material out of the barrel to lighten it a bit. Even so i have to make it go into the shells quite a bit otherwise it would have been easy to bust the shells if bumped. Its all held together with one allen screw in the middle of the tip or barrel bore. I also made a hanger for the corregated hose to hang on. Big difference between the printed barrel and the way it should look.
Got the rear shelf done. Still has some scratches but like i said in the other posts everything will get a final sanding and repolish. Use to be able to buy aluminum and it would have a smooth finish but lately it seems to be rough with grooves from being drawn during manufacturing. Takes alot of sanding to get a nice smooth finish.
At this point i guess ill attempt to make the little plate with all the holes in aluminum too.
Small update, this is the ugly part..lol. I extended the rear swoop because it was way too short compared to the prop, over 1/2" too short . Still have to do some final sanding, filling and smoothing out. Also got the rear section glued on and screwed on, same filling and sanding to do but at least its roughed in and located properly with the rear shelf mounted. Lastly did a bit of filling on the front tube locating slots that are not necessary and fitted the top tube so its mostly good to go, just minimal putty needed at this point. All in all its looking good although it looks rough. I have alot of sanding and cleanup now and have to figure out some mounting for the top tube and side tubes. Also need to cut a hole in the bottom of the grip for a battery box and make a mount for the magazine baseplate and some spacers to hold the shells together.
Got a little more done today and yesterday. Alot of sanding, primering and sanding again. I went ahead and coated most of the interior with epoxy resin to try and strengthen the shells a bit because this 3d print is crap, not quite as fragile as the tribarrel rusty got but not far off either. I ended up turning the barrel down a bit because it was too long. Its much better now. Also made a spacer piece to go behind it. I will use it to run some screws up into the top tube to secure it. Finally i also couldnt stand the little blades on the small tubes. They were too thin and not what i wanted them to look like. I machined them off and drill some holes in the ends of the tubes and made some seperate blades out of flat stock. I will end up epoxying the blades in. They look 100 times better now.
First assembly, not perfect but that is expected. I need to do some barrel clearancing, shorten the little screws on the small tubes and epoxy the blades in, more clean up and filling. I made the magazine base plate mount. The battery box will sit under it. Also need to make spacers to hold the shells together. I am going to add one under the big top tanks to hold that upper rear section together. It also has a gap in front but thats mostly from adding epoxy on the surface where the barrel goes in. Lots to do but i wanted to see what came up once all the parts were screwed on. I seemed to have lost the rear side aluminum doodadds...lol . Probably sitting on my lathe at home. If not ill make new ones next time i go there. I also need to do some modding to the front grip (not shown) . Something just seems off. It sits too low, is too wide height wise and should be thicker width wise. Im leaving that project for last. All in all she looks pretty with all that aluminum !