Memory: The Origins of Alien

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

JoeG

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Has anyone heard of this doc? I just saw the trailer over on Film Threat's YouTube channel. Looks pretty cool.

Memory: The Origins of Alien unearths the largely untold origin story behind Ridley Scott's cinematic masterpiece, and reveals a treasure trove of never-before-seen materials from the archives of Alien creators Dan O'Bannon and H.R. Giger - including original story notes, rejected designs and storyboards, exclusive behind-the-scenes footage, and O’Bannon’s original 29 page script from 1971, titled Memory.

Featuring Veronica Cartwright, Roger Christian, Tom Skerritt, Ronald Shusett, Roger Corman. Directed by Alexandre O Philippe.

Memory: The Origins of Alien will be released in theaters and on VOD on October 4, 2019.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

laellee

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just got an early-release copy on the way, I will review here ASAP.... I've been told I will really enjoy it, hope it is everything it should be!

sztriki

Sr Member
This was showing in a cult cinema in London recently but I couldn’t make it. I’m curious as to what new it can bring to the table, the making of featurette that was on the DVD was pretty exhaustive and thorough I thought.

laellee

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yep, watched it this evening. Definitely not a show you can watch (for me anyways) while trying to do something else; it really delves into the ideas and inspiration that culminated with the film, including (as Jaitea mentioned) a ton of background on O'Bannon and his development of the story. Also really goes into the mythology going into the movie, a lot of stuff on Giger, and even how the current hot buttons of the time (Vietnam, Watergate, heck even serial killers) really helped shape the success of the film. It's not for everyone, but a lot of good stuff (once you get past the first 3 minutes of WTF lol)

Best part for me: They're talking about the misogyny of some of the characters in Alien, and the lady giving the interview finally just blurts out in frustration "ASH IS SUCH A D#*!K!" You kinda have to see it, but hilarious.

sztriki

Sr Member
Kinda agree with Clutch, I mean yes, Giger’s work is highly sexual and the while rape/birth thing I get but it’s a slasher in space and a bloody good one that. I’ll prob watch it because I’m interested in O’Bannon...seems like he was a total nutcase, I remember when I first saw the BTS interviews on the Alien DVD I was thinking “I’m pretty sure this guy has some mental disorder”, he seemed really bitter and petty about a lot of things during Alien, about John Carpenter and some really weird stuff during the production of Return of the Living Dead...I think he had like a breakdown after Jodorowsky’s Dune fell through? His creativity and talent cannot be disputed though, so I find him an interesting person.

Clutch

Master Member
He had the seed of a good idea but the treatment he wrote was garbage. The big wigs took over and rewrote it and he got bent out of shape.

sztriki

Sr Member
He had the seed of a good idea but the treatment he wrote was garbage. The big wigs took over and rewrote it and he got bent out of shape.
That’s pretty much my impression as well, he wanted to take it to Roger Corman and whatnot, and everyone around him seemed to want to take it to another level...