Megaman build

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Azurial, May 16, 2012.

1. Azurial

Azurial Well-Known Member

Howdy all! It seems so long since I posted anything so here we are.

I've been working on this commission job for about a week or two now and I figure what better way to share than with something truly epic.

wolfboy1 contacted me not too long ago about building a Megaman costume for cons and such. I'm about to finish up the gauntlet, but here are some pics in progress.

I will be building this from scratch using cardboard scraps and such, building it up with paper mache, then using dry wall compound to smooth it all out. I plan on then cutting each part in two and then vacuforming them for sturdy peices.

2. The Ronin

The Ronin Well-Known Member

Nice, I'll be watching this. I have a Protoman that I'm slowly building.

3. PR85

PR85 New Member

All I want to know is will it have a fully functional hand cannon...

4. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

I really really want to do Mega Man X still, I'll be watching this.

5. Davence

Davence Guest

good luck on this project!

6. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

iiiiiiiiiii've got a question...
    what exactly do you need the windex for?

7. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My guess is it was probably used to show scale

8. Hyperballistik

Hyperballistik Member

Cool build hope to see more soon

9. Azurial

Thanks guys! The Windex bottle was for scaling. As it stands right now the guantlet is about 5-6 lbs so its pretty heavy. I'm about to finish it and get ready to start on the next part which is the helm.

I am planning something special for the blaster so keep an eye out!

10. Hotfix

Hotfix New Member

Good luck! As an avid megaman fan, I'm looking forward seeing you bring him alive :)

11. Azurial

Sorry I havent posted in a few days. I wont be getting back to work on this until Monday morning when I get home from work. But I just finished cutting the arm in two to get ready for the vacuforming table I plan to build toward the end of the week. I do plan on posting that build in this thread since it will be part of the build.

Yes, those are Monster Ceral boxes you see in the meshing.

I ordered 2 or three sets of this: Evergreen Black Styrene Sheets, .06x8x21" (2) EVG9116 | eBay

I'm hoping that these sheets will be fine for armor forming. Im guessing some peeps with Trooper experience can tell me if I wasted my coin.

Monday will see the start of the Helmet build. Something very special is planned for this build by request that you will go nuts for. Well, 2 things really. But stay tuned!

On a side note, any one know what microcontroller I'd need for a servo controller with sound/lights?

12. animefan

animefan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

if you got 8x21" I think thats going to be to small to vac form that arm?

13. Azurial

I am planning on cutting them in half-ish. But Im planning on guilding a table thats only about a foot by about 9or 10" wide. The guantlet is about 7 inches wide.

14. Azurial

Update time! Just got a set of templates printed up to scratch build the helmet which will be taking place tonight and tomorrow. I wanted to get it started yesterday but there were things I had to take care of and I couldn't get started on it.

Stupid distractions...

15. ZOSO1024

ZOSO1024 New Member

Finally, some Megaman action! I will definitely be following this thread... Keep up the great work! :)

16. MrNixon

MrNixon New Member

Can't wait to see how this turns out, never seen anyone attempt it. Great idea!

17. Azurial

Here's something excited about, MORE PICTURES!

Just finished the skeleton and meshing and will be starting the next step - paper mache - in the next hour or so. It took about 3 hours to cut out and shape the cardboard so I'm confident I can get this finished by tomorrow night. I may even have time to get the Boot buck started before the plastic and other supplies arrive :D

I am considering re-doing the buck for the guantlets, but we'll see how far I can get just this week alone.

Any one know where I can find Dragon Skin or some other type of silicone online?

18. Azurial

Updating again?!? I've just finished the paper mache and I think its looking pretty b*tchin' to be honest. I still have to make the 'ear' parts but thats going to be seperate simply because I want to try and hide some electronics in there.

19. Azurial

Last update for the night. Just finished assembling and attaching the ear pieces. Tomorrow, I start filling!

20. MTB

MTB Well-Known Member

Looking good, I always liked mega man games. I even wanted to build a suit for Halloween once as a kid, now I just might have too =)

21. Dozer3677

Dozer3677 Well-Known Member

Sub'ed. I want to see a Mega Man.

But where the heck do you get Monster cereal anymore? I didn't think they sold anything but Count Chocula.

22. crull87

crull87 Member

are you using Pep files our are you doing this trial and error style ?

23. Azurial

I'm building this from scratch based on a 3D model concept I did for some one. I'll post images of the model later on if any one wants to see.

On another note I've just started the fist layer of filler and waiting for it to set up. Pictures to come soon!

EDIT: Moster cereal comes out every October now, as opposed to when I was a kid it was readily available all year round... How I miss those days... I picked these boxes up on clearance on Halloween last year at Target and had them laying around just for a project like this :D

EDIT 2: These will all be vacuform bucks and I may just do a run in the Junkyard if there is enough interest.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  24. Azurial

Making another update. Here are a few pics about halfway through the filler step.

25. outofcontrolreb

outofcontrolreb Member

The helmet looks pretty cool.

26. Azurial

Sorry about the lack of updates guys - works been pretty busy and I've also been working on a MK V breif case shell for an XBox 360 mod. You can find it here and I'm also posting the more techincal stuff here

27. Azurial

Alrighty. Just had some free time tonight and got the buck for the leg parts started. I'll be skinning and hardening them when I get some free time but it wont be this weekend sadly. Stupid work...

Any who, have some pictures!

28. vorta88

vorta88 New Member

Looking great! Can't wait for more updates

29. TelnetCarlos

TelnetCarlos Member

big fan of the old school mega man. can't wait to see the finish of this

30. The Ronin

Love the pants!

31. Azurial

Thanks guys! This is a really exciting project to be working on, and so much fun! I loved playing the original Megaman on the NES. Truth be told I never could beat it...

Thanks - Birthday gift from the folks. Came with a Voltron In The Third Dimension t-shirt as well as a set of Transformers Cufflinks. Now if only I could wear all three at once!

32. The Ronin

The first one was a serious pain in the *. 2 was brilliant, I used to do speed runs on that game before things like that were popular.

I really should post up the helmet build for my Protoman.

33. MTB

MTB Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't see any reason why you can't >.<

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

34. boomaster8

boomaster8 New Member

I love Mega Man and this is probably the best one I have seen to date. So, I have been starting to get the materials together and, I know this is a stupid question, but what did you use to mold the skeleton? I know it is cardboard, but where did you get it because the cardboard I have is from a box I got a package in and it's pretty thick.

35. Azurial

I used thicker corrugated stuff (like from packaging) for the outline of the shapes, and then I used cereal boxes to get the mesh/shape.

36. Azurial

Okay, I'm back. Had some CRAZY crappy work week, but I'm hoping (and thinking) that it's over so I can FINALLY get back on this thing. I have a deadline of mid-july to get it finished. With no real work done on it in the last few days, I managed to find some Fiberglass Resin JElly which, as I understand it based on its consistancy and finished texture, is alot like Rondo (Bondo/Resin mixed), and about half as fumy.

This stuff works great! Just get some mat down, slather this stuff on it, then spread it evenly. Now I only picked up a single tin of this stuff as I was unsure how it was going to come out, but I figured since the other stuff wasn't available, why not.

I have scrapped plans to do the vacforming, I just can't get the right frames or a good consistant heat so I'll have to build something a bit more elaborate.

Any who, here is a Work inprogress on the leg part. I just used the cardboard mesh with the resin jelly like I would with the filler/papermache.

37. Azurial

Alrighty folks. Sorry that I have yet to post in like 2 weeks, but I've been trying to get this stupid Arduino to work. I need to figure out how to output a single sound (about 15kb in size) to a speaker while lighting a single L.E.D. This is further frustrating since I haven't actaully programmed one before.

Any rate I started work on the other leg part and I'll be posting pictures of everything friday/saturday night. I may have to do some more work on the helmet and getting it looking perfect:D and I will be adding a door to the back of it since all of my vacuform plans have been stopped almost dead.

38. Azurial

So I have just finished another leg part. I took the liberty of doing this one a bit differently I built it up using the same method as above, then went a head and coated in filler. Once it set up, I covered that in aluminum foil and slatered some Fiberglass jelly on. After letting it sit 2 days to completely harden and get rid of the fumes I should be able to go out and sand it later on today. Of course I will need to join the two halves, but thank the stars for various bonding implements - Now I just have to choose which one I'll use. I'm looking at finishing up and shipping this off RIGHT on deadline day simply because of my day job getting in my way.

So enjoy the imagry! I will be doing a bit more building up on the helmet later tonight to hammer out some imperfections, and hopefully, getting foil and jelly on the other leg part sometime this evening. Good thing I have some vaction time coming up this week, otherwise I'll never get this done.

I will also be adding a door to the back of the helmet so that it can actually be put on.

39. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

good to see megaman making a come back. cant believe someone is still doing paper mache.
    good job so far

40. Azurial

Thanks Grave! I find papermache to be increadbly cost effective and pretty durable when you know what your doing. Considering that a bag of flour costs about 2 bucks, auto-shopper/apartment-finder magazines are free, and water is basically free, you can come up with a great skeleton for working on. Of course the filler is what makes it all come together, but I'm sure that you could just slather some resin on and call it a day.

41. Azurial

Wow... I've been a way a while haven't I? Sorry bout that guys, I wound up getting sick and was bed ridden for a while but here are some further progress pics.

The final layer of filler has been added and I started work on resin coating to protect the armor from dings and such. Here are images of the helmet after the protective layers have been added and the blaster, guantlet, and one of the boot parts. The other boot part needs a quick sand and a bit of filler. The client has requested a hardened cod piece but I think I"m going to do one in silicone if I can get a good sculpt going.

But at any rate, the helmet is why you want to becareful of how much dry wall compound you use as it will crack. The cracks are easy enough to fill but take a while to do so.

Paint scheme will be blue and gold and if any one has an Arduino Sketch for a simple sound/light on trigger event, please feel free to share. I have the speakers and the switches, and the SD sheild so thats not an issue, just having a hard time wrapping my head around the programming lol.

42. Azurial

Got a new update for ya guys. I started cutting away the cardboard and left just the shells!

At this point I'm ready to paint the parts shown after just a bit of filler in a few small spots, sand the edges down flush and then add a bit of foam to each part to prevent flapping around and such. That is the only way I can see the parts sitting still. I think I should be able to get this done by months end as I'm already 2 weeks over project deadline, but my client seems to be fine with it as long as it comes out looking decent.

By the way, that is not a shine coming off of the leg part. I kind of missed a spot with the primer.

43. Azurial

Time for some news! Sanded down about a quater of my Robocop Helmet, and got some primer down on the Megaman arm cannon. Next: Add a dome at the end of the cannon and paint it blue. Helmet is partially painted and in place of the boring yellow, I've opted for gold to give it a bit more realism. Still need to:

*Re-do the door for the back of the helmet
    *Finish shingaurd #2
    *Build waist part
    *Add padding to all parts
    *Add "detail grooves" to the top part of the helmet to make the solar collectors seem like a different piece
    *Add magnets and hinge for back of helmet to swing shut and stay that way.

Hotdamn its a beautiful day out today!

44. Azurial

Time for a bit of visual stimulation. I had a chance to hammer out paint on the top most part of the helmet. I know I kinda made the seam a bit uneven but that is pretty much for the sake of functionality - i.e. the helmet is 3 parts: The one top piece and then the bottom part will be split in the center, hinge upward to wear, then swing close to rest atop the wearer's head. Plus the seams give it a true-to-life "Hmm... This is where his brain goes" look.

Not Pictured: Opposite leg part, bottom parts of the helmet.

45. Azurial

D`Oh! I forgot to post this! my next project that I might be doing a VERY limited run of in the Junkyard - Once finished it will have the laser etching in it from Robocop 2 - Ya' know, the big fight between him and RoboCain.