Meeting Your Hollywood Heroes - What did you say?

There are a few folks I've met that'll do it. Michael Hogan (Tigh from RDM Battlestar) is absolutely nothing like Tigh (except for their shared love of whiskey), but if you ask him, he'll perform a few Tigh-isms.

Oh that's COOL! So then I should be happy that I got a grunt out of Lou!!

he totally ignored me!
didnt even bother to look at me and when i tried to make some kind of contact he just turned his head...
really pissed me off!!

anyone here who has met paxton? ive heard that he can be a bit weird?

he totally ignored me!
didnt even bother to look at me and when i tried to make some kind of contact he just turned his head...
really pissed me off!!

anyone here who has met paxton? ive heard that he can be a bit weird?

Let us not forget that the moment of meeting our esteemed heroes is a moment that's far more important to us as fans than them...and that some fans can be pretty weird too!!

A few years ago James Earl Jones was brought to Charleston, WV for some sort of Verizon promotional function. My best friend had some pull with some folks at Verizon and managed to get us passes to the VIP meeting and photo session. Needless to say this was one of the most anticipated moments in our long history of meeting celebs, normally at conventions, but this was much different. The VIP room was packed with people as you might expect. When Jones finally entered the room everyone quieted down...but when he SPOKE...his voice RESONATED through the entire room and everyone there, it is THAT powerful!!! "Hello, how do you do, I'm James Earl Jones." Everyone visibly got chills...and we were at the back of the room! A number of people there had been extras in the film "Matewan" so their comments to him centered around that but I desperately wanted to say something to him that didn't involve that. Luckily I had seen a film of his the previous night that I had not seen before and decided to remark on that. When Jones got to me he extended his hand (which is quite massive), smiled and said, "Were you in 'Matewan' too?" I smiled back and replied, "No Sir, I was not, but I saw an outstanding film of yours last night that I'd never seen before called 'Cry The Beloved Country' with Richard Harris." He perked up and said, "Oh, you saw that, did you?" I said, "It must have been quite something to have acted alongside Richard Harris." He replied, "Oh, yes, he was a delightful man, wonderful actor. Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it, it was a wonderful experience making that film." I said, "I'm sure it was." Then he moved on to the person next to me. Later they had a photo session where you could step up next to him, shake his hand and get a picture. So I stepped up, camera snapped, then stepped away...at which point the photograher said, "Oops, we didn't get that shot." The person behind me was already stepping up beside Jones but Jones paused and said, "What? You didn't get the shot? Oh, come here, we'll do it again." What a testament to the man's kindness, he called me back to retake the shot. Overall a wonderful, wonderful experience that I'll treasure for the rest of my living days. Here's the shot they took.

-Dale.

DaleJEJ.jpg

WOW!! That's outstanding Dale!! I can see how everyone would have gotten chills when he introduced himself. What a moment that must have been!! Thanks for sharing!!

Well, not someone I wanted to meet, but for Katie Holmes it was:

"Yeah, you're welcome!" in my most sarcastic tone. We were a the Cinerama Dome and I was going for the door and saw a couple ladies coming so I opened it and held it for them to come out 1st. I only realized who she was when she was inches away. Didn't even glance at me, just walked on through like I was hired help. She noticed me after I yelled it out to her though.

Clint Eastwood: "Hey Clint, where's that 50 bucks you owe me?" He smiled, raised his hand up and shot me. This was on the WB lot. I used to sneak onto it for lunch all the time. Really good cafeteria.

Steven Seagal: "Man, is that the only suit you own? Didn't you wear that suit yesterday?" This was after 3 days of seeing him sitting in his chair in between takes for "Under Seige 2" (also on the WB lot). He smirked and did his glare at me.

Kurt Russell: "Hey Kurt. WOW!" As he came out of his trailer dressed as Snake Plissken for EFLA. He just nodded as he went to his mark. I snuck onto the set at Universal. Lots more to this story.

More, but I'm out of time right now.

Met John Cena today (actor, WWE wrestler) at a local gym of all places!! I found out when I got home that the WWE is having a 'Super Show' in town tonight and I guess he just needed to get a little pumped before the show! LOL!!

51ZQc5pSYxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Posted my blurb about it in the 'fit club' thread here:

http://www.therpf.com/f12/rpf-fit-club-108111/index63.html

(Scroll down towards the bottom)

Since I was at the gym working out, it seemed logical to post it there!!

Well, not really Hollywood, but back when I was growing up, my grandparents lived next to an older couple from Hong Kong.. Use to spend a fair bit at my grandparents and I saw the old guy working on a wooden dummy.. Was fascinated and kept watching.. Watched for weeks, finally he asked if I wanted to learn.. Said yes, and start training.. Then he said his son was coming to see them and his son will give me some training.. This was great, trained hard etc, then a year later I was watching a martial art movie and point out an actor and said that's who was training me etc.. Ended up being Jackie Chan.. :lol So we said a lot..

And when I was doing St John Ambulance, I was at a Michael Jackson concert at the side of the stage and he actually stopped as he came off the stage one time and said to me " Thank you for everything you do," and went into wardrobe change.. What did I say?? Nothing, I was speechless that Michael Jackson not only spoke to me, but thanked me..

Furlong looked hungover and grumpy at mine too.

Say what you want about Margot Kidder, but it was awesome meeting her. Superman is my favorite film since I was little. She had no line so we got to talk for a bit. I asked her opinion about a chest Reeve emblem I had brought with me that I bought off ebay and she said it was possible that it was real. But now, I know it's a fake. I guess time had caught up to her. I accidently deleted the pic of us together.

I don't buy auto's anymore though. It's funny to see some of them sit there grumpy, perhaps they're embarrassed to be there since they have only one claim to fame. Not that I judge.

S
I've purchased a group picture with the cast of TNG who I've wanted to meet for nearly 25 years but have NO CLUE what to say to them when I meet them for the first time. I've got no problem with the other people, but I don't want to seem like some blubbering idiot when it's my turn!!

So this got me thinking - what did you guys say to your heroes the first time you met them??

I did too. for some reason i felt the need to give awkward thumbs up to the photographer when the photo was taken. ugh. cringe worthy, although i'm sure they forgot about it as soon as it happened ;o)

Conventions are NOT a great place to meet stars, unless it's a small, more comfortable con.

I remember talking to jeremy bulloch, boba fett. for some reason british comedians came up, and I mentioned Mr.Bean was one of my favorites. his response was 'oh yeah, quite good'.
;o)

you know, it's odd. youhave tons of things you want to say to these people, but the minute you get up there, you freeze for fear of making yourself look like a total blubbering dope. which, most of the time tends to happen anyway ;o). ugh.

please lord, if I go to retro con, PLEASE let me not make abig ass out of myself with alan oppenheimer, cam clark and pat fraley ;o)

They're just people. Treat them like people. Don't act like a fanboy. I know a ton of celebrities and universally, what they hate more than anything are crazy fanboys. They get tired of being treated like idols. Almost anything you say about their work, they've heard before a million times. Just treat them like everyone else.

"Thanks."

I've been fortunate enough to meet some celebrities in non-convention contexts. If they are not busy and seem approachable, I usually just tell them my name, and thank them for their work. That's about it. :cool

Honestly, you can't really meet anyone at a convention these days. Back in the old days, the 70s and 80s, celebrities would just be walking the convention floor, hanging out at tables, etc. No bodyguards, just people hanging out and you could go hang out with them. That's how I went out to lunch with DeForest Kelley one day as he was hanging out at a convention. And the old-time pro lounges actually were restricted to actual professionals, unlike today, and you'd actually have celebrities going in there to rest. If you had access, as I did, you got to spend a lot of time with them. And so long as you didn't treat them like idols, most were just genuinely nice people that I made friends with. But that's been years. The last time I actually got to hang out with anyone at a con was a good decade or so ago, when John Barrowman was at a booth at a con. We had met a couple of times before and he just invited me behind the table so we could chat between fans. And, of course, I had an annual "date" with Ray Bradbury at a particular place on the floor at SDCC, where we just bumped into each other every single year, totally by accident, and we just stopped and talked for a couple of minutes.

Today, you just can't actually make friends with celebrities at conventions.

Last year I made the trip to Salt Lake Comic Con because they had brought out nearly the entire cast of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, namely Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan, Hayley Atwell and, most importantly, Chris Evans. Being a huge Cap fan I couldn't miss this opportunity so I spent a ridiculous amount of money on photo ops and autograph tickets for all of them. As can be expected the con sold a ton of tickets for these stars and the process boiled down to waiting in line forever for them to get set up then get fed through the line as fast as possible to clear it out, which obviously didn't give anyone much time to be personable. So, my interaction more or less consisted of shaking their hand and thanking them for coming out. They were all as nice as can be though, I had them all sign my shield and they complimented me on it and my costume. When it came time for my photo op with Chris Evans I asked if he would hold my shield for the photo and he said "Of course, I'd love to". After the photo he gave it a once over, gave an approving nod and said "Nice work!", which meant a lot as I had assembled and painted it myself. I was really happy that he took the time to make such a quick moment memorable and worth the effort.

IMG_2038-vi.jpg

IMG_2063-vi.jpg

Honestly, you can't really meet anyone at a convention these days. Back in the old days, the 70s and 80s, celebrities would just be walking the convention floor, hanging out at tables, etc. No bodyguards, just people hanging out and you could go hang out with them. That's how I went out to lunch with DeForest Kelley one day as he was hanging out at a convention. And the old-time pro lounges actually were restricted to actual professionals, unlike today, and you'd actually have celebrities going in there to rest. If you had access, as I did, you got to spend a lot of time with them. And so long as you didn't treat them like idols, most were just genuinely nice people that I made friends with. But that's been years. The last time I actually got to hang out with anyone at a con was a good decade or so ago, when John Barrowman was at a booth at a con. We had met a couple of times before and he just invited me behind the table so we could chat between fans. And, of course, I had an annual "date" with Ray Bradbury at a particular place on the floor at SDCC, where we just bumped into each other every single year, totally by accident, and we just stopped and talked for a couple of minutes.

Today, you just can't actually make friends with celebrities at conventions.

You CAN, but it helps to actually be working at the convention. I met Aaron Douglas via Emerald City Comicon when he and several castmates from BSG were here in 2009. My husband and I are still in contact with him and he's even contributed stories to a couple anthologies I helped put together.

Another friend of mine from ECCC was handler for Michael Rooker when he was out here several years ago, and she is still in contact with him as well.

You CAN, but it helps to actually be working at the convention. I met Aaron Douglas via Emerald City Comicon when he and several castmates from BSG were here in 2009. My husband and I are still in contact with him and he's even contributed stories to a couple anthologies I helped put together.

Another friend of mine from ECCC was handler for Michael Rooker when he was out here several years ago, and she is still in contact with him as well.

Absolutely. I've done lots of work for conventions, that's how I got to really know Mercedes Lackey, as her con liaison, although I already knew her through her husband.

I said:

"Yeah, of course?" After he asked me for a pic. And then; "would you like to sign the tongue?" which he loved doing. [Ok, more was said, but the first thing I said was 'yeah']

8nCD3Os.jpg

The funny thing about Michael Beihn is hes actually a terrific guy. Like many iconic role actors weve grown up with, he gets the exact same questions and such day in and day out. I can barely hold back on fan boys when talking about past work projects. Cant imagine living that daily.

As for Eddy Furlong, sadly he's in a constant state of "hung over". He can pull it together for work when focused but its always hit and miss with that focus. Even then, as a comparison, its like he's on a three day fast then downed a couple super size energy drinks, shakes, jitters, mumbles...

As a kid my grandpa used to take grandma to Vegas all the time to see Elvis shows. He used to park the RV behind Circus Circus as there was a semi utilized rear entrance. One day grandma and I were going inside and a small group of people were approaching. My grandma stopped in her tracks and the group encircled her, in the middle was Elvis. He introduced himself, gave her a kiss and a hug, he messed up my hair said a few words then the group made their way out the rear door. Out of all the Elvis concerts and appearances she attended from the 50's to the 70's thats the only time she met him. Fast forward to 2011 and seems I may have become friends with one of his private security that semi recalls that moment. Id known the guy for a couple years before Elvis came up. He was the LA Sheriff that used to roll around with Elvis in the passenger seat during the early AM hours of the night. Small world.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back