Meeting Biff

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Moviefreak, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Moviefreak

Moviefreak Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So through a friend, I have a chance to meet Tom Wilson tonight after a comedy club show.

I heard he doesn't sign anything BTTF related or even likes to talk about it... Is this true???

I wasn't sure if I should bring something like my Almanac or Biff Wins Again newspaper to try and get him to sign it?

Do you guys know if he is or isn't signing stuff? I wouldn't want to look like an * by bringing something :lol

2. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

Bring it, and be sincere.

If he's a jerk point to four hidden cameras and tell him he's been Punk'd.

3. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Sr Member

I would recommend you NOT bring anything BTTF or talk about it.

Part of his routine is letting people know that he basically wants nothing to do with BTTF.

4. Moviefreak

That is what I heard.... But...
    I am meeting BIFF :lol

I know I probably won't bring anything but the idea that I have the chance to get a BTTF prop signed by him is still on my mind :lol

5. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

ok good to know.:lol

6. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Yeah he hates the franchise for some reason. I wonder what he'd do if you brought any of the Wing Commander games he was in to sign.

7. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

It's not that he doesn't like the franchise, I think, it's just that he's annoyed that BTTF seems to be the only thing that people recognize him for. If you mention other projects, or his stand-up work (he is quite funny, after all, you'll enjoy the show), you should be fine.

8. Moviefreak

What if I keep calling him Biff, and no matter what he talks about or asks me, I'll act like I didn't hear what he said, and I just keep asking him about Hill Valley... Calvin Kline.... Wrecking his car.... Etc.....

:lol

9. Moviefreak

That probably the route I will go. He does have an extensive resume to refer too. Maybe I'll be upfront with him. I'll chat about some of the other stuff he has done... Then just be honest and say that "I know you don't like to discuss or sign BTTF stuff, but I would love for you to sign an item for me". Then have it hidden in my wife's purse. Maybe keeping all conversation away from BTTF until the last second, he might be cool with it.

10. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Only reason I even knew he did standup is he was on Bob and Tom one morning, aside from his voice work on a few cartoons and the Wing Commander games I have no clue what he was in lol.

11. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

12. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Or he might feel used and betrayed. But hey, you'll have given it a shot.

13. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

One of his stand-up specials is on Netflix (everybody go watch it, he really is funny!), and he opens with that song.. He says "Let's get this out of the way up front..." and pulls out the guitar. :)

He even talks about the nerds and geeks in the crowd that are just there to see "Biff".

14. Moviefreak

Ok, I am not going to ask him, lol.

I just watched the video and while he is making a joke of it, I think that is his way of getting it out there and letting it be known :lol

I'll just shake his hand and talk about his current work and leave it at that. Maybe just get a snap shot of us together.

15. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

16. The Dude

The Dude Sr Member

Well...that is all we know him for.

Biff...reality check.

Reality check...Biff.

17. Moviefreak

I think I will talk art with him:)

Being an artist myself, I think we will have much in common since he is such a renowned artist himself. Disney picked him up as one if their gallery artists after all.

18. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

bring it, ask him to sign it.
    What have you got to lose?
    If you don't you'll kick yourself later.

19. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've met Tom a few times. I've heard he's a jerk to some but he's always been awesome with me! First time I met him I told him that it was awesome to have him as my wingman in Wing Commander 3 and it was all gold from there on in.

He doesn't mind if you mention BTTF, just don't have that as the only thing you talk about (or the first thing). Mention his paintings, his stand up, any other work, then say something along the lines of "I know you must be pestered about it all the time but I'm a BTTF fan too, would you mind signing this?"

He'll do it and probably be nice about it. I think his problem is so many people see him as that one two dimensional character and nothing more. As opposed to feeling betrayed he'll probably appreciate that you made an effort to know something about him.

20. PepMaster

PepMaster Sr Member

I've gotten him to sign a couple things, one at a convention and the other item I got him to sign was my boxed unopened copy of WC3, he's pretty cool about it just don't bring up BTTF as your first subject.

21. Mockle

Mockle Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

this is your chance to cash in on that trade lmao... he might sign everything :)

22. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have met Tom I'm person at his last BTTF event and even then he wouldnt sign anything. That was about 6 years ago. He was very rude about it then. I got Bob Gale to sign some things as well as Claudia Wells.

So I heard he was doing a comedy show near ms and I emailed him through his site. I told him I was a fan of him, not only for BTTF but his comedy, when he was on the TV show "Ed" and even before when he was in a cult classic movie "April Fools Day". I told him that I was going to attend his show and that I would love to PAY him to autograph my OUTATIME plate that I had Chris Lloyd and Leia Thompson sign. I told him that I would pay him $100. He completely turned me down. He was polite about it but even after kissing his * AND asking to pay him 3 times what I paid Chris Lloyd, he said no.

Good luck.

23. Moviefreak

I think I will just get a photo together and call it a night. No sense in p*ssing him off :lol

24. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think that's the best idea. It would suck if you're chatting him up then spring "Would you sign my BTTF sawg?" on him thus creating what could possibly be the most awkward moment of your life. :confused

Besides, IMO, a photo op is much more valuable than a sig. Sig's can be forged and while a photo can as well, it would take a VERY good photoshop artist to do it. Besides, it's more personal.

25. Jedifyfe

Mention that you have a friend in LA that will drive to his house and pay him to sign my plate. I know where he lives...

26. patsmear

patsmear Sr Member

Have him sign an index card, that you can frame with you "April fools day" poster......

27. T2SF

T2SF Well-Known Member

Be sure to ask him to say "I hate manure" and then follow it up with "was it real manure?" And then turn the video camera on and record him and it will appear he just goes ape crazy and kicks your * :)

28. T2SF

T2SF Well-Known Member

Oor have him sign a non BTTF headshot and then while the ink is still wet smack it on your favorite BTTF prop/pic. Carbon paper might work for this too ;)

29. terryr

terryr Sr Member

He was in town to do stand-up and did a slightly different version on the radio. Wish I taped it. It was something like this.

Tom Wilson (Biff) performs The Question Song on WEBN - YouTube

"how's the Delorean?
    It's a a piece of junk,
    Stop asking me the question."

He may not care for BTTF but he brings it up with the song. I think he's just tired of the geeks over- enthusiasm.

30. HAL9000

HAL9000 Sr Member

Poor guy. He obviously feels kind of restricted by his envolvement in BTTF.

The best way I could offer as a way into his situation
    Is to imagine a really crazy week you had at work 5 years ago.

Then imagine almost every person bringing up
    That week continually. Over and over, wherever
    You went. It would put most people over the edge.

I realise he has fame and wealth through this
    But you have to appreciate that it takes a certain
    Mind to deal with macro fascination.

31. Jedifyfe

Moviefreak. I had a great idea. Take your hottie wife, dress her as Loraine and then when Tom is distracted ask him to autograph something... ;)

32. Moviefreak

I asked to get a picture and he said "only if I can get a picture with your wife." :lol

He was totally cool and very nice and respectful as he said he won't sign BTTF items.

33. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

The rather funny part is the angry characters he voiced in spongebob all sound like Biff even if you didn't know it was him doing them.

34. Michael Bergeron

Glad he was nice to you. :)

But I used to have a few BTTF items signed by him from the times we met... Granted, it's been about 7 years since I last saw him.

If I knew that they were such rare items I wouldn't have given them away! :lol

35. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

If you know that he doesn't like to identify with BTTF, Then PLEASE don't think it would be funny or cool to bring it up, like the 10,000 other nerds before you.

Go on the premise of "You only get 1 chance at a fist impression" and compliment him on his comedy (that you just heard), or compliment him on his artwork, he's a painter.

Actors hate to be pigeon hole'd, but love compliments.

36. Moviefreak

I actually met him at a Hotel bar for drinks before his shows. I didn't get to see his act. My friend set up the meeting for me. We had a nice conversation about acting, travel and his art career. He really enjoyed the art talk. Right at the end, I took a few photos and just asked if signing anything remotely close to BTTF was out of the question, and he smiled and just said, "I gave up signing anything BTTF long ago, sorry".
    How could I not respect that.
    I would have loved to see his show, but didn't get tickets in time :(

37. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

So you ask a guy, who you know hates it, the question you know he hates.

...and didn't even go to his show.

And you wonder why he's that way?

38. Moviefreak

The show was sold out. I tried to get tickets, but no luck.
    I told him I would definitely catch his show next year, and definitely a gallery show for his art.

39. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Master Member

Have him sign an "X" for Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen... See? Not Biff... :lol

40. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would have just asked for on autograph on a blank index card and left the BTTF stuff at home. Then you could display it next to anything you wanted. Not as good as what you were hoping for but at least you would have gotten his signature.

41. Jayn

Jayn Sr Member

I once work with Tom on a show ( not BTTF) . Very nice guy! I was a dresser to him & a few other guys. One morning I got his undershirt mixed up with our young boy's and instead of swapping out, as a joke, he squeezed his huge frame into that little tiny shirt & came back to show us that he had the wrong one. I wish to heck I had a pic of that moment *L

42. Trooper_trent

Trooper_trent Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I messaged him on his youtube channel after watching his netflix stand-up show, just to tell him how hard my wife and I laughed, and to tell him we really appreciated what he's doing and that we enjoyed his youtube videos. I also snuck in there that my son's favorite thing to call me when we're ribbing each other is a "gutless yella *". He replied with a very nice personal email saying thanks for taking the time to write him and that it means a lot that his work is appreciated.

43. Michael Bergeron

I'm glad to hear some nice stories about Tom. I hear a lot of hate out there but he's a nice guy.

44. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Here's what you do. Go up to him, tell him your name is Sy Phler, make note of the PH. Than tell him you haven't seen a yellow gremlin, but you HAVE seen a couple of little blue pixies, follow that with a wink. He will be so shocked that you remember him from Camp Nowhere that he will be happy to sign an autograph!

45. patsmear

patsmear Sr Member

You don't have to tell me that!;)

46. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

The dude's not even meeting him now so suggestions are pointless.

47. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

Oops, I just noticed my mis-spelling. But its funnier that way...

48. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I wonder how he feels about signing Blood In Blood Out stuff?

49. Deric

Deric Sr Member

Just tell him you really liked him in Turner and Hooch the series.

50. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

getting beat up by Biff is more fun than a sig anyway ;o)..

personally, I hate actors that do that. Most people take FOREVER to get noted. If they can't get anything AS big as that, it's not the movies fault. Embrace that people loved even one role you did and don't be a jerk about it..