Meet Colin Cantwell - Star Wars Prototype Model Creator - Tomorrow in Beverly Hills

jdebord

Sr Member
Colin Cantwell, who created the original prototype models for Star Wars: A New Hope back in 1974/1975, will be having his first ever meet and greet at Julien's Auctions in Beverly Hills.

As many here know, he developed the first realizations for the X-Wing Fighter, the Y-Wing Fighter, the Tie Fighter, the Star Destroyer, the Death Star, the Landspeeder, the Sandcrawler, and the Millennium Falcon, as well as the T-16 Skyhopper. What was just discovered over the Summer was that he also did some concept artwork prior to constructing the models. This is on public display for the first (and probably last) time over the next few days, so a rare opportunity to come check it out if you are in the L.A. area. Colin will also be doing a meet and greet tomorrow from 1:30 to 3:00 at Julien's in Beverly Hills - full details here: http://www.originalprop.com/blog/?p=38747

Here is a photo I took of Colin Cantwell - now 82 years old - at the VIP reception at Julien's last night, surrounded by his artwork and other memorabilia.

Colin-Cantwell.jpg

I know a number of collectors have been replicating his models and have questions about specific parts and what not, so if you have any questions you would like me to ask about and report back, let me know and I'll ask on your behalf.

Thanks,

Jason

Re: Meet Colin Cantwell - Star Wars Prototype Model Creator - Tomorrow in Beverly Hil

Anyone else think that image of Colin looks a lot like a prop. :eek

Re: Meet Colin Cantwell - Star Wars Prototype Model Creator - Tomorrow in Beverly Hil

I have a question : 'After all the hours that went into designing and creating those prototypes ... how did he ultimately feel about the final models being used on screen?'

Thanks in advance,

Chaim

Wow what a privilege, though that is not far for me at all I won't be able to make it, if you could take a picture of the sand crawler and post it it would be great. Many thanks, Robert

Jason, will he be willing to accept contact from his fans going forward? I'd love to show him the Skyhopper when it's done.

Also - I finally verified/secured a vintage 5dram pill bottle, and I'd love to know his inspiration for using so many of those in his builds. Did he buy them in bulk?

Does he still build and/or draw? Would he ever accept a commission?

I have a question : 'After all the hours that went into designing and creating those prototypes ... how did he ultimately feel about the final models being used on screen?'

Thanks in advance,

Chaim

I had Colin answer on video today... if this doesn't work, I'll point you to my Facebook page (tons going on so easiest way to be timely)...

Okay, that didn't work - go to https://www.facebook.com/originalpropblog

Thanks!

Jason

- - - Updated - - -

Jason, there is one for you too...

https://www.facebook.com/originalpropblog

Thanks Jason for asking ;) ... quite an elaborate answer by Colin ... excellent!

Chaim

Thanks, J!
So I assume he was very happy with the prices realized for his work? What a wonderful event.

What did the pieces end up going for? I would have loved to own a few of them. Very cool vids thanks for making them available!

Last edited:

The artwork (paintings) all went for north of $5K each. The X-wing pastel went for over $10K. The sketches went in the neighborhood of $1,200 - $3,000. The one annotated sketch (which was probably mis-ID'd because it looks like Lucas' handwriting, not Colin's) would be a steal at $10K if it is Lucas' sketch. A couple of people got into a bidding war over the BUCK ROGERS tactical display art and drove that up to nearly $5,000. But oddly enough, there were some interesting bargains in there, too. A lot of stuff went for the first or second bid. $1,250 for a complete, functional Mitchell rack-over is a really good deal. The guys from Pawn Stars saw some stuff go for really cheap - will have to watch old episodes to see what they paid for the stuff.

Gene

Busy week, but managed to get up some photos and thoughts...

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/?p=38803

Also, one of the pages from his 1974-era archive of sketches and notes was actually from George Lucas! Historic stuff. Also, another fan at the meet and greet managed to ID the artist on the cover art of the rare old screenplay ("borrowed", not commission/original)...

Jason

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back