Medical Frigate part ID help

Yes they added a lot of parts on it for ROTJ !

Sorry if this is a stupid question but can someone please explain why they would modify an existing filming model? Add extra greeblies, panels, etc. would it have been for instances where they've had to cover added extra lighting and wiring? I've probably answered my own question but to start adding tiny little bits like tank wheels and tracks when it will hardly be seen seems a bit daft? Perhaps a new member of the props crew has decided to leave his/her mark? If that's the case I'd probably have done the same hehe

Because it is far cheaper than building a new one, and the production doesn't see filming miniatures as historical assets most of the time. For Star Trek Generations, the original plan was to modify the Excelsior for the Enterprise B, and the designs (by John Eaves, as I recall) reflect that intention. At some point, it was decided to create an entirely new miniature, and we now have 2 separate ships to appreciate. And each of those ships were modified for the various Star Trek TV shows in production during that time.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but can someone please explain why they would modify an existing filming model? Add extra greeblies, panels, etc. would it have been for instances where they've had to cover added extra lighting and wiring? I've probably answered my own question but to start adding tiny little bits like tank wheels and tracks when it will hardly be seen seems a bit daft? Perhaps a new member of the props crew has decided to leave his/her mark? If that's the case I'd probably have done the same hehe

For several reasons.

It may be because the model has been damaged.

It may be because they wanted to shot more close ups le the model

It may be because the model had a detailed side (hero) and a less detailed or blank side because this side was not going to be shot on the first movie.

Several models have been upgraded/finished/modified :

The ANH ISD
The ESB One
The Med Frigate
The Blockade Runner
The MoM Y-Wing
Red 5
One of the AT-AT

Etc

Jayroth, the Excelsior was turned into the Enterprise-B. They are not two separate miniatures, unfortunately.

Not to derail from medical frigates, but there are 2 minis now: Greg Jein made a new, smaller Excelsior for the Voyager episode, "Flashback", in which it appeared. He did this because the smaller model was easier to film, and the original Excelsior had been modified to the 1701-B.

Ok, ROTJ modification. Gotcha

(I never quite understood why they needed to tinker with them either, but that's another discussion)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back