measuring from movies

Yeager Chillax

Hey Guys,
Im new to the forum and the Hobby and i got a question.
I have never build from movie screenshots.
Now how do i measure from movies because i dont have anything else, I know how tall the Actors are but how do i measure and transfer it to say a weapon or a house?
Hope someone can Help and thanks in advance =)

Greetings

If you have a point of reference, like an actor's height, you take the image with the prop and point of reference into an image editing software like Photoshop, separate the prop and put it up against the point of reference and count how many of the prop equals to the point of reference. However, this will generally only give you one dimension, although you can rotate the image of the prop to get another dimension.

One thing to keep into consideration is perspective. This means that for accurate measurements you need to make sure that in your reference image that both the prop and your point of reference are on the same plane as each other. This means that the one can't be in front of the other, this will throw things off since whatever is closer to the camera will appear larger than it actually is.

If you have a point of reference, like an actor's height, you take the image with the prop and point of reference into an image editing software like Photoshop, separate the prop and put it up against the point of reference and count how many of the prop equals to the point of reference. However, this will generally only give you one dimension, although you can rotate the image of the prop to get another dimension.

One thing to keep into consideration is perspective. This means that for accurate measurements you need to make sure that in your reference image that both the prop and your point of reference are on the same plane as each other. This means that the one can't be in front of the other, this will throw things off since whatever is closer to the camera will appear larger than it actually is.
Wow thanks so much for the reply :)

Hopefully im gonna do it right.

You also need to consider that actors "stats" are often exaggerated.
Hehe
In this case its actually even more complicated because the ship I wanna build is from an animated movie but they used motion capture for the whole film so it should apply i checked how tall the actors are and if it matched the movie and it did so i hope it works

Wow thanks so much for the reply :)

Hopefully I'm gonna do it right.
You're welcome. It's not hard to do really, unless you have no skills in something like Photoshop. The main thing is you need to a solid point of reference, something you know the dimensions, and that both the prop and point of reference are on the same plane in your reference image. It also goes without saying that the prop and the point of reference are in the same image together and not pulled from separate images/scenes.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back