Means of attaching EVA foam to aluminum frame?

Marthony

Hello,

I plan to build a stilted G1 Transformers Devastator costume, and for the torso I plan to build a suspender & hip belt supported 3/4" square aluminum tubing frame. I plan to make the detail of the costume with EVA foam, but would like options for rigging the foam to the frame.

Picture reference: http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1tysoxul.jpg

Vertical proportion: http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/...psn2rgljtk.jpg (minus 3" on the risers)

Initial torso diagram: http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/...pst7zdz0ou.jpg My groin to 1" above my head is within the torso.

I can drill holes for bolts anywhere in the square tubing. For +1 layers for foam I know I could bolt the foam to the frame & hot glue layers to that...

How might you approach it?

Thanks!

never tried anything large scale but If you rough the surface of the aluminum and rough the other side of the foam and use contact cement the foam should stick, try some test pieces, its worth a try :unsure

never tried anything large scale but If you rough the surface of the aluminum and rough the other side of the foam and use contact cement the foam should stick, try some test pieces, its worth a try :unsure

This is exactly the advice I was going to give. Contact cement is amazing for what it'll hold. Roughed-up metal holds beautifully and the bond it makes with foam is stronger than the foam itself. Great stuff.

Interesting! I wouldn't have thought of this.

I certainly have options for roughing it up; once with heavy sandpaper and then some cross-hatching with a Dremel tool...

I might be tempted to reinforce the most important contacts with nylon straps for example, just to feel more secure about it. I'll give this a try.

Any particular brand of contact cement you'd recommend?

Thanks!

No prob i do the same attaching plastic to foam i sand the surface then cross hatch it. your probably better cross hatching with an exacto/craft knife, dremmels are great but hard to control for fine work. also your using aluminum its going to be hard to join plastic box sections are light and you can join them easier with angle joints or glue the joints. good luck with the project look forward to the postings :)

Interesting! I wouldn't have thought of this.

I certainly have options for roughing it up; once with heavy sandpaper and then some cross-hatching with a Dremel tool...

I might be tempted to reinforce the most important contacts with nylon straps for example, just to feel more secure about it. I'll give this a try.

Any particular brand of contact cement you'd recommend?

Thanks!

sorry didnt see the question about the glue, i use EVO-STICK contact cement you can buy it in tins or in tubes, the best is supposed to be BARGE contact cement but its not easy to find outside of the U.S.A

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back