McQuarrie Vader WIP Scratch Build & Research (Studio 49)

I'm going to be taking delivery of a little something for this build this coming Saturday...

All will be revealed soon enough but lets just say it's one of those Holy Grail parts that I've been chasing for years now ;)

The helm? I feel kinda rude asking this, but if so, how much would you be letting your old one go for?

Close ;)

The helm? I feel kinda rude asking this, but if so, how much would you be letting your old one go for?
Indeed it is the helmet! And yes I would be looking to part with him as I now have a helmet that will work with my chest armour (which is why I changed buckets, need one that'll work nice for trooping)

You get first preference mate so once I reach holidays in under a weeks time I'll shoot you a PM with a quote and as bucket load of pics for you ;)
Hoes that sound mate?

Close ;)

Indeed it is the helmet! And yes I would be looking to part with him as I now have a helmet that will work with my chest armour (which is why I changed buckets, need one that'll work nice for trooping)

You get first preference mate so once I reach holidays in under a weeks time I'll shoot you a PM with a quote and as bucket load of pics for you ;)
Hoes that sound mate?

That sounds fantastic, but... I sort of went off on a bit of a fantasy,lol. To be honest, I'm only sixteen and don't have a job yet, so I really wouldn't be able to pay for it if it was over about $150. And I'm def not one of the crazy types that expects things to be that cheap. I definitely understand how much hard work (and money) has gone into a bucket like this, both by the original maker and yourself. So it looks like I'll have to pass this up :( Thanks for the offer though, and I hope you find a good home for it :)

That sounds fantastic, but... I sort of went off on a bit of a fantasy,lol. To be honest, I'm only sixteen and don't have a job yet, so I really wouldn't be able to pay for it if it was over about $150. And I'm def not one of the crazy types that expects things to be that cheap. I definitely understand how much hard work (and money) has gone into a bucket like this, both by the original maker and yourself. So it looks like I'll have to pass this up :( Thanks for the offer though, and I hope you find a good home for it :)

Ok then, no worries

After 2 years of searching I found my holy grail of McQuarrie Vader parts!

I present to you my McQuarrie Vader Stone Bucket and Chest Armor.
As many may know I've been wanting a set of these ever since I laid eyes on them and when a full set came up for sale in my state I knew I had to buy it there and then otherwise it was never going to happen

So here I am and I've just received these glorious parts today, now I just have to wait until University break to get cracking with sanding, painting and building these bad boys
Now of course, onwards with pictures!

1A_zpsljoz2kpw.jpg

1B_zpsjlfpruja.jpg

1C_zpsrbtd0y1o.jpg

1D_zpsz33rdoit.jpg

1E_zpss34qwdwj.jpg

1F_zpsakctbmda.jpg

1G_zps1arbizvh.jpg

1I_zpsthwvlkkb.jpg

1J_zpsgac1j02t.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So I did have a little spare time last night so I unscrewed the dome from the face of the bucket and then gave everything a once over with the brush/cloth followed by a wipe down with a wipe down with a wet cloth to get any remaining junk and dust off.

And too my surprise there really is very little filler or sanding need from me! Which as me very tempted to just throw on a coat of black to see what he looks like and so I can pick up areas I need to work on... ;)

2_zpsdnqhoyux.jpg

Re: McQuarrie Vader WIP Scratch Build & Research (Studio 49)

With having done a wipe down to find it was pretty much ready for paint the temptation was far too great! So in between painting my University Assignment stuff I went right ahead and did just that

So I didn't have any nice gloss around but I did have my really nice MTN Matte Black which I did a really quick coat of on each part and it came out stunning, I was blown away just how amazing this looked even after one coat! Sure there's some small imperfections but that's a single afternoon job there

Having painted him up in a really nice job, I'm getting the feeling that for the RMQ Vader a gloss black fish like for ESB/ROTJ just isn't an appropriate or accurate representation of the sketches Ralph drew. Gloss or Matte is something I'd been tossing up between for along time now and I do have some points for matte over gloss. First Matte lends itself more to the "drawn"type appearance and second and more importantly this was concept art for the ANH Vader, and if much he's not glossy, but dirtied down and weathered so to me and with research I've done I feel the matte is the way to go!

And of course I take some pictures of him in all his glory
wink.gif

With having used this nice Matte it still does an amazing job of reflecting light across the bucket and it looks unbelievably nice in person

3A_zpsqjlvd4gs.jpg

3B_zpszrp24mrp.jpg

3C_zps9svhtqjy.jpg

3D_zpsrv1tfwlr.jpg

3E_zpsv85aruqi.jpg

3F_zpsaeybxt6i.jpg

3G_zpsqtv2qwvu.jpg

3H_zpsjnzsnrb0.jpg

3I_zps7ofqvvfa.jpg

And some nice detail shots of the bucket
(I plan to pain the inside of the dome black so the yellow fibreglass isn't noticeable)

4A_zpsi7kj0jvw.jpg

4B_zpsyoojoieb.jpg

4C_zps64avcrrs.jpg

4D_zpswzgym4v9.jpg

So I did a small experimental suit up this arvo...
I couldn't help but see what I could do with the RMQ Parts I had so far

Now I know it's way out of line positioning wise, like not being able to see half the chest box but to put in in perspective the shoulder bells were sticky taped on for these photos haha, and there's no lenese in the bucket yet so I just colour it in with black

Once I fit proper hinges to the bells then I can really start to progress
Either way progress is progress and I'm chuffed I was able to jerry-rig it enough to do semi sort of suit up no matter how dodgy!
peace.gif
[

35259848970_3da3772c1f_o.png

35646765875_0fe5563c51_o.png

35607098726_a2317845e3_o.jpg

35646761405_56933b62cd_o.png

35646757695_f36db8bb6f_o.png

34837684683_29aefe4c1a_o.png

35646750275_7bee2b20ff_o.png

It's been a nightmare trying to find boots for this project since as it turns out they go over the knees (have a look at the reference pic below, that area above the knee must flex and not be part of the shin otherwise I'd not be able to bend my knee)

With that said I think I finally found the closest thing to the Chippewa Boots/or any typical boot used for the other Vader's. I'll probably by them in etc coming weeks and they should hopefully do the job and be my size. I'm surprised I was even able to find something as close as these actually

35498539952_d6f4d78f4d_o.jpg

35498540532_c45766184a_b.jpg

35498539842_c943975904_b.jpg
\

35498539452_ce2bcef5d6_b.jpg

Last edited:
It really is coming together! I must admit thoufh that I do not think tje boots will work. I think that probably an ankle high boot like a Jodhpur plus a stretchy tube material with an e.g. leather or cast urethane "crown" would probably work better. Or, bare with me... a atretchy boot cover from an exotic dancer or costuming supplier. There are suppliers of cosplay superhero overknee boots, iirc. The gummi boots my probably not flex enough or not in the right areas.

I need this... you know, for 'reference material'
wink.gif

In all seriousness though in a couple pay days time after I've paid for University related expenses I'm hoping to be able to have enough to pre-order him. He'll be perfect as a solid basis for referencing for the remainder of my build (when I find the time that is)

wink.gif

I may still be a week out from my month and a half mid year Uni break... but it doesn't mean I can't set the workshop up early

I don't have money for any more R2 parts at the moment and I can't do much else on R2 until my frame is cut so I figured it was high time my RMQ Vader project got some love! ;)

35630631546_a81978f82a_b.jpg

35630631296_d0b45bce0d_b.jpg

34829226734_110e5b69c3_b.jpg

35630630546_a921d7f9a9_b.jpg

35539918571_1d5798be15_b.jpg

Last edited:
I was finally able to be quite productive today ;)
Now I'll be the first to admit when it comes to sculpting stuff I know absolutely nothing haha, so I'm usually making this up as I go along. Now my bucks at present don't look particularly attractive, but that will change in due course as I'm able to work on this stuff more.

Long story short I wasn't happy with how the shins were and felt that since I plan to use them as bucks for Vac Forming I wasn't confident they'd be strong enough to deal with the vac forming.

So I decided to start the body work process again first layering on a nice thick layer of two part builders bog. This builders bog helps with the rigidity and to all bulk out the over all size a bit which also helps me with my worries that it may not have been big enough to fit around a boot.

35240255990_d250638510_b.jpg

35240255380_c7a180c03a_b.jpg

Next up I gave it a quick light sand to knock up the rougher areas
35240254700_e9ec583eea_b.jpg

Following which I gave it another finer coat of the two part builders bog and then a really in depth sand with some nice rough sand paper. I went for the rougher grit paper simply because the builders bog is harder to sand than your typical filler. After which I got my finer normal filler out and coated both halves in a coat which is the start for getting it smoother and beginning some detailing.
34785809564_52da1c3ceb_b.jpg

34785808944_e017355fde_b.jpg

35240252300_92fcc15052_b.jpg

34785807774_8d0a5d531a_b.jpg

After applying the normal filler and letting it dry I got a sponge and whilst it was wet I gave both halves a once over to just smooth out the filler a bit.
Now the lighting in the pictures below makes the bucks look WAY rougher and worse than that really are so I can assure they do look better in person haha
So next on the list is to continue to smooth the bucks out and to detail it such that it would be ready for vac forming whenever that may occur.
Stay stunned for more updates hopefully not to far into the future as I try learning sculpting as I go along
default_rolleyes.gif

35240250530_2d3b655c4e_b.jpg

34818140873_42b8c868b4_b.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back