McQuarrie Vader WIP Scratch Build & Research (Studio 49)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Studio 49, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Studio 49

Studio 49 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So I have started this research/build thread over of the 501st Sith Lord Detachment and I figured I may as well post all of my progress here on the RPF as there may be people interested. I will be putting up a heap of posts of the next day or so, about 2ish so what you see in this first post may not be up to date. Thats enough of that, heres the thread:

So I have began taking an interest in Ralph McQuarrie, more specifically his original concepts for Darth Vader.
    As such have been exploring the possibility of building a McQuarrie Vader. At this stage it is still very early on and I am not committing to anything yet (primarily since I still have a normal Cannon Vader to finish :D) but I have just been doing quite a bit of research lately, collating images and information.

I'm not entirely sure where this may head and I know it likely will take a very long time will basically need to be a 100% custom build.
    But what I do know is that during the meantime I can use what I have learnt about 3D modelling over the last 2 years (and what I will learn more about to a much greater depth studying Industrial Design) to begin producing 3D models of specific parts and components at no cost.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Master_zpsl9ghqm0h.jpg

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I went through what ever photos I could find to try and collate a sort of parts list (some resources include the original art work, the Kotobukiya Statues, Sideshow Collectables and the costume made by a 501st Legion member, I'm sorry I don't actually know his name).
    After looking through what little I could find, this is the basic parts list I came up with and possible suppliers for anything that is actually being made.

Parts List - What I've Found So Far
    Hard Parts
    [Currently Restoring] --- Helmet --- JRX
    [planned] --- Chest Armor --- Could try and build myself or purchase from Darth Stone
    [planned] --- Elbow Guard --- I Would Scratch Build this Myself
    [3D Modelling Done] --- Chest box --- Modelling Currently
    [planned] --- Belt --- Fleet Farm? --- Assembled by me
    [planned] --- Belt Box and Pouch --- I Would Scratch Built this Myself
    [3D Modelling Done] --- Belt Buckle --- Modelling Currently
    [planned] --- Lightsaber Clasp (Hook) --- I Would Scratch Build this Myself
    [planned] --- Cod Piece --- I Would Try and 3D Model this Myself
    [planned] --- Shin Guards --- I Would Try and 3D Model this Myself
    [Purchased for ROTJ] --- Boots --- Dublin Universal Tall Boots
    [3D Modelling Done] --- Lightsaber --- Modelling Currently
    [planned] --- Blaster --- No idea

Soft Parts
    [Purchased for ROTJ] --- Balaclava --- Reused from
    [Purchasing for ROTJ] --- Bodysuit --- Custom Props 2 Piece OT Suit
    [planned] --- Cape --- Don’t know
    [Purchasing for ROTJ] --- Inner robe --- Custom Props Inner Robe
    [planned] --- Gloves --- Don’t know
    [planned] --- Blaster Holster/Pouch --- Don’t know

Ok so thats what I've got so far, there's no guarantee of this actually going very far, but I may as well have a crack at buying a helmet for a display next to my Ugly when it arrives and seeing where I can go from there, whether its 3D modelling/3D Printing or a complete scratch build.

Master_zpsl9ghqm0h.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  2. Studio 49

Re: McQuarrie Vader WIP Scratch Build & Research (Studio 49)

​The following few posts are a compilation of the best photos of "official" sources I can find (Original Drawings, Kotobukiya & Sideshow collectables)

Helmet:
    Master%202%20copy_zpsmzi5dt9w.jpg

Chest Armour
    1_zpsglucuhpw.jpg

Elbow Guard
    3_zpsjmtmjfq9.png

Chest box
    4A_zpshx0447hb.png
    4B_zpsohtzfu21.png

Belt Box + Pouch & Belt Buckle
    5_zpssfistkh5.png

- - - Updated - - -

Cod Piece
    6_zpswqa5sxjn.png

Shins and Boots
    7A_zpsbfqaqigp.png
    7B_zpsoagh6lzb.png

- - - Updated - - -

Lightsaber
    1%202_zpsznkaqgr9.jpg

Blaster + Pouch
    8A_zpsuohekx9r.png

- - - Updated - - -

Cape
    10_zpsenzzj4qx.png 10_zpsenzzj4qx.png

Inner Robes
    11A_zpsftf40vno.png
    11B_zpsivpfkm2x.png

Gloves
    12B_zpslgatb7ds.png
    12A_zpspmedemtj.png

ABE likes this.
  3. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

There's also a 3 3/4" action figure made . . . but I doubt how accurate it is when compared to that Kotobukiya statue :wacko

Chaim

4. Studio 49

Yeah I did see that but I don;t believe that it would be accurate enough for me to use as a source to get this Vader approved with the 501st Legion.
    I will be posting a truckload more pictures and updates tomorrow morning so stay tuned!

5. Studio 49

Update 1:
    This morning I decided to quickly whip up the first draft for a 3D model of the Lightsaber.
    Now I had to improvise for the centre portion of the hilt as I have found zero references of that area.
    Obviously I still have to model all the internals, the switch other minor things, Iv'e got the bulk of the external work done.

Anyway thats enough talking, here's a couple renders (just for fun I decided to try and make a blade reminiscent of the glowing in the original drawing)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very rough mock up, this was as close as I could get it with a blurry picture with perspective verses a orthographic render:
    [​IMG]

6. Studio 49

I just remembered that Sideshow released a Promo video for their McQuarrie statues so I had a look through and took screenshots of all the useful sketches and references and I looks like I found what they envisioned the hilt to look like as well.

Video Here:

Promo%201_zpstnh2ifd4.png

Promo%202_zpsj13fqhk0.png

Promo%203_zpswtnqjxjx.png

Promo%204_zpscbliydix.png

Promo%205_zpsbzri7r8n.png

Promo%206_zpsvrdvvter.png

Promo%207_zpsapuxdjx4.png

Promo%208_zpsoa1xwqb9.png

Promo%209_zpsp7rvrioj.png

Attached Files:

7. Studio 49

Update 2:
    I started doing up some rough plans for Belt Buckle and Chestbox.

Belt Buckle
    (Same height as ROTJ Belt Buckle)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chestbox
    (Same Height, Widith and Depth as ROTJ Chestbox at this stage)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lightsaber
    I have now inserted a switch on the hilt, however the inside is quite small so I need to find a switch that would work well there
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SofaKing01 likes this.
  8. ABE

ABE Active Member

love this vader :D

Studio 49 likes this.
  9. Studio 49

Update 3:
    The 3D modelling is coming along nicely and have almost finished the Chestbox, Belt Buckle and Lightsaber
    I have included dimensioned diagrams below in metric and imperial so anybody can read it easily

BELT BUCKLE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Studio 49

Compliment from a fellow member on the Sith Lord Detachment

11. Studio 49

Update 4:
    The 3D model for the lightsaber is now finished and ready for 3D printing, now I just need to wait until I have access to one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Studio 49

Ok so I've been doing some thinking about parts that I can use for my ROTJ Vader and the McQuarrie Vader and this is what I've come up with thus far.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

[Purchased for ROTJ] --- Balaclava --- Reused from ---- Obviously this will work, but i shall include it here anyway!

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

[Purchased for ROTJ] --- Boots --- Dublin Universal Tall Boots
    No I don't see why these wouldn't work so I'm going to say that I have the boots sorted
    7B_zpsoagh6lzb.png
    7A_zpsbfqaqigp.png

[I am Purchasing this for ROTJ anyway] --- Bodysuit --- Custom Props 2 Piece OT Suit
    From what I am able to see on the reference pictures that I have collated I don't see anything to suggest I can't use my CP Bodysuit when it arrives, please feel free to correct me if you see differentley
    9_zpsibflonmq.png

[planned] --- Cape --- Don’t know
    Now, this is a tough one for me. At this stage I just don't see it as being feasible to use the CP cape since the McQuarrie Cape looks to be mounted through the front of the armour in 2 separate spots and not by a chain
    Master_zpsl9ghqm0h.jpg

[I am Purchasing this for ROTJ anyway] --- Inner robe --- Custom Props Inner Robe
    The Inner aRobe also looks like It could be simulated with my CP ROTJ Robes when I get them, it looks to have the same kind of pleating as well.
    11B_zpsivpfkm2x.png

[planned] --- Blaster Holster/Pouch --- Don’t know
    So these are the parts that I have absolutely no idea about.
    I have no clue on what the blaster is or even if it is a real blaster design used in the movies.
    But I think I might have a bit of an idea on what to do about the holster.
    To me it looks to be a bit like the Leather Pouch used by TK's. Would any Stormtroopers like to chime in since I am no expert in that area.
    Kinda like this one over on the FISD: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/16744-leather-e-11-holsters-35/
    8A_zpsuohekx9r.png

7B_zpsoagh6lzb.png

7A_zpsbfqaqigp.png

9_zpsibflonmq.png

Master_zpsl9ghqm0h.jpg

11B_zpsivpfkm2x.png

8A_zpsuohekx9r.png

13. Studio 49

Then some feedback on my question in the previous post:

14. Studio 49

Update 5:
    Well well well did I receive a surprise in the mail today!
    ​I have just received my JRX Helmet!
    It actually looks to be in even better condition than the photos suggested, a simple sand, fill and paint is all that's required.
    I'm looking forward to getting down and dirty with this one and put my own stamp on it! dance.gif dance.gif dance.gif
    1A_zpssytzfngi.jpg

1C_zpspj1xefg9.jpg

1D_zpsopkyleg2.jpg

1E_zpshbfw1hw9.jpg

1F_zpsycltgpdn.jpg

1G_zpshnziobxu.jpg

1H_zpsueilsloa.jpg

1I_zpsmpbxykpk.jpg

1J_zpsnza1z1hr.jpg

1K_zpskqalbvwj.jpg

dance.gif

dance.gif

dance.gif

1A_zpssytzfngi.jpg

1C_zpspj1xefg9.jpg

1D_zpsopkyleg2.jpg

1E_zpshbfw1hw9.jpg

1F_zpsycltgpdn.jpg

1G_zpshnziobxu.jpg

1H_zpsueilsloa.jpg

1I_zpsmpbxykpk.jpg

1J_zpsnza1z1hr.jpg

1K_zpskqalbvwj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    Epona_Rhi, SofaKing01 and Sym-Cha like this.
  15. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

I see . . . you could not resist to try it on immediately after arrival ... now could you? :lol

Chaim

Epona_Rhi likes this.
  16. Studio 49

Of course! What more would you expect from a Vader lovin guy!
    It was a tad difficult seeing as there was no padding or hard liner in there, that's why I'm holding it up (and looking like the least threatening Vader ever in the process)!

Update 6:
    So even before the end of the day I have made some progress on the Helmet. First of all I did a quick sand of the Lid and applied 2 coats of primer, this way I can see the imperfections more easily. The back of the lid is also a considerably asymmetrical. I should be able fix that though with filling and sanding in strategic areas. If in the end it is still a tad noticeable I will just say that "the OT helmet weren't symmetrical so why wouldn't this one be!" [​IMG]
    So the next stage for the lid is plenty of filling, sanding and painting.
    [​IMG]

I have also just prepped the face for sanding and priming by removing the eyes, velcro and knurled stud inside the nose.
    So I have a question now regarding the eye for the helmet experts. The lenses that came with the helmet are lightly scratched and very difficult to see through (that is not from my breath fogging them, they are just very smudged and cannot be wiped to fix it) so I am going to buy a new set. The set that it came with installed were an amber colour and I will be installing black smoked lenses since they are more suitable and accurate to the reference material.
    [​IMG]

SkyloRen and Sym-Cha like this.
  17. Studio 49

Update 7:

So today I was able to give a quick sand to the face and spray a coat of primer. No I can see all the areas I need to work on. In sense much filling and sanding in my future.

Sanded and ready for paint:
    [​IMG]

Example of the pock marks that I will be filling once primer is dry, easy fix for a nice finish
    [​IMG]

Applying Primer to face
    [​IMG]

Looks a bit familiar if you ask me!
    [​IMG]

​First Primer coat freshly applied
    [​IMG]

jkno and ABE like this.
  18. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Looks like Vader has a 'mohawk' hairdo ... if you don't mind me saying so :wacko

Chaim

19. 1stage

1stage Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What's your preferred filler these days, 2-part Bondo or something more exotic?

20. ABE

ABE Active Member

amazing project, I really need one of those helmets

21. Studio 49

Thank you so much for the compliment, but unfortunately JRX has not been producing props for some time and I was bald to to pick it up on the cheap over on the Junkyard.
    So keep an eye out, you never now.

My filler really isn't all that fancy, but it is the best and most affordable stuff I have used thus far
    $6 AUD for a quite a large tub and has lasted me daily 6-9 months over the course of multiple projects.
    http://www.bunnings.com.au/uni-pro-500g-multi-purpose-filler_p1210281
    [​IMG]

ABE likes this.
  22. 1stage

1stage Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So it's an air-curing putty rather than a two-part?

23. Studio 49

Yep that is correct

24. THXBOY

THXBOY Active Member

I'll be watching this thread with great interest....

Studio 49 likes this.
  25. Studio 49

Thank you for the compliment!
    I am looking forward to putting my skills to the test and hopefully learning some new skills as I try to catch build this awesome Vader!

I know that you probably are aware of these threads THXBOY but I figured I would post them for any members that may want to see some more in-depth info, progress and pictures I have a bunch of very detailed threads I have put together over on the Sith Lord Detachment:

McQuarrie Vader - WIP & Research

http://forum.501stsithlords.com/index.php?showtopic=9571

McQuarrie Vader - Reference Materials Thread (PIC HEAVY)

http://forum.501stsithlords.com/index.php?showtopic=9659

McQuarrie Vader - CRL Draft Thread

http://forum.501stsithlords.com/index.php?showtopic=9652

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  26. Studio 49

Update 9:
    So I went down to the local Hardware store and picked a $7 hard hat with removable liner, figured I couldn't go wrong for that price.
    I did a test dry fit and if fits perfectly in the dome. I will probably hot glue it in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Studio 49

Update 10:
    A minor update of sorts, I have purchased 2 fans to install in the RMQ Helmet of mine, which is coming along nicely. The dome is receiving the last few coats of nice black but the face is taking a tad longer since I had some issues painting in the recessed front grill area, but that is almost fixes and ready for and and black.

However, more importantly I was in the University workshop today doing model making for Industrial Design and went up to look in detail at the Vac-former. I knew they had one but didn't realise this guy is a beast of machine and could easily vac form shins (1 half at a time). Heck It could do stormtrooper armour!
    So hopefully they will help me out when the time comes if I have my own material :D If not I may have to see if any local members can help me out.
    ​Anyway here is a pic of the beast:

[​IMG]

THXBOY likes this.
  28. Studio 49

So I have been doing some initial research into potential gloves I could use for the RMQ Vader and I figured I may as well post them here:

Custom Props - X-Wing Pilot /Tie Pilot / AT-ST Driver - Leather Gloves
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Star-War...oves-Custom-/171892837731?hash=item28059c8d63
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Custom Props - Shadow Guard Leather Gloves
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Star-War...35362280?hash=item2a1aa0a5e8&autorefresh=true
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tough Gloves Men's Ultra Enforcer Leather Gauntlets
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LYSEM2?redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_p193_d2_i1
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  29. Studio 49

For refernce I am using the Koto Statue and from that it seems the gloves are relative;y simple in design and have a hand guard on top.
    So at this stage I am leaning toward the Tough Gloves Men's Ultra Enforcer Leather Gauntlets from amazon. They are the simply design that I think might work at I could then somehow attach the hand guards (probably 3D printed) on top.

For reference here is the reference that support the simple design and they are the Kotobukiya Statue, Original Art and the Gentle Giant Bust.

Original Ralph McQuarrie Concept Art
    R1_zpsglsscszl.jpg

Kotobukiya Statue
    K3_zpsj6txtxs7.jpg

K4_zps5aqg0py9.jpg

K5_zpsiceubj0y.jpg

Gentle Giant Bust:
    G2_zpsdk028rpr.jpg

On the contrary the Sideshow collectable suggests otherwise... At this moment In time will go with the references provided above as a sort of majority rules 3 vs 1 reference. Nonetheless I would love some feedback. smile.png
    Sideshow Collectables
    S1_zpsxw9eqle9.png

R1_zpsglsscszl.jpg

K3_zpsj6txtxs7.jpg

K4_zps5aqg0py9.jpg

K5_zpsiceubj0y.jpg

G2_zpsdk028rpr.jpg

smile.png

S1_zpsxw9eqle9.png

30. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Super excited about this build. Congrats on your progress thus far.

If you wind up doing a run of the sabers, I'd be interested.

Studio 49 likes this.
  31. Studio 49

Than you so much for the compliment Panaflex!
    As for the doing a run I don;t know what may happen there, "Always in motion the future is" ;-)
    If anything, it will likely be available on my Shapeways Store. If and when I do make it available there I shall make a post to notify you and any others.

Panaflex likes this.
  32. Studio 49

Update 11:

After a setback with a faulty can of Dulux, grrr... I was able to get a Brish Paint Sparay Can that is far better and final get some decent coats of black on!!!
    For context it was either the nozzle that was fault or the paint since it was only spraying in a singular concentrated circle with overspray and drips being flung every where else.... Og well that is fixed now.

​I also received the fans in the mail today and I am having a look at where to install them, I was thinking the forehead but the helmet sits lower than I thought and then when wearing it with the Hard hat Liner the fans would be right up against my fore head and I figure thats not ideal... So I am thinking of either having a single fan i the grill or 1 installed on each cheek.

Any way here some pics of a freshly applied black coat, there is still a few more coats to go but it's looking good!

8A_zpsg4gglank.jpg

8B_zps9qinb7su.jpg

8C_zpsnivktu8o.jpg

8A_zpsg4gglank.jpg

8B_zps9qinb7su.jpg

8C_zpsnivktu8o.jpg

SofaKing01 likes this.
  33. Studio 49

So since there are no suppliers for any of these parts I will have to make everything from scratch. Some I can Laser cut, some I can 3D print but the shins are a different story. Since I am using this project to learn new skills I have decided that I am going to have a go at sculpting the shins then vac-forming them, much like the calves used for Clone armour.

So that leads me to my questions:

Has anybody here tried sculpting amour before? My thinking at this stage is to get some high density foam, insert it into a cardboard skeleton, sand it to the sahape of my leg then build on top of that, cut it in half and Vac-form each half. Does this seem like a sound way to go about this?

In terms of what to use for sculpting I am thinking of using my 'fine filler' and plaster of paris from Bunnings. Now I have no experience with the plate roof Paris so I was wonering if anybody could let me know what to expect.

34. Studio 49

Update 12:

Today I began working on building the Fan system. I have decided to mount the 2 side by side on an angle to each other and then I will hot glue it into the grill area with it slightly directed up.

So here's where it's at now:

Marking out angle to match that of the interior of the grill
    9A_zpsqf66vcdq.jpg

9B_zpsu6zsagxd.jpg

Next I cut up a small angle of timber to sit in that angle and allow me to initially mount the fans
    9C_zpsnzre3ws9.jpg

9D_zpskk3g1cpb.jpg

Painting the timber wedge

9E_zpsnmwzfcgh.jpg

The fans hot glued onto the wedge
    9F_zpsi7dksi61.jpg

Next up is to buy a connector for the 9V battery, wire the switch and remaining electronics then finally glue it into place.
    Any feedback would be great!

9A_zpsqf66vcdq.jpg

9B_zpsu6zsagxd.jpg

9C_zpsnzre3ws9.jpg

9D_zpskk3g1cpb.jpg

9E_zpsnmwzfcgh.jpg

9F_zpsi7dksi61.jpg

35. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking good! Love the paint.

36. Studio 49

Thanks man! Appreciate it!

37. Studio 49

Update 13:

So today I fitted the helmet liner with a hot glue gun and 5 Chicago screws.
    It seems to be quite sturdy, however the quick test fit had it leaning forward to much and I think that the liner might not be strong enough... When the paint isn't so green I will post some pictures where it it but of now I have some photos of it as it stands now. Any suggestions on a much stronger liner that I can buy? Ideally one that is self supporting?
    Maybe I could put some padding above the liner behind the forehead to stop the tilting, now I think about it, yeah that could also work. If I were to do padding what should I use?

Oh and just ignore the messy exposed hot glue, I promise it is much cleaner inside and that i will be cleaning it up soonish.
    10A_zpsglpnwkmi.jpg

126231c5-2396-4848-adbb-f319c0c23366_zpshesqvjqc.jpg

93e4c0d1-9d41-4fa6-86ce-c390adcd69a3_zpsxvsonoq7.jpg

10D_zps8nvibrj2.jpg

10E_zpsirddr1t4.jpg

10F_zpseujnaqqp.jpg

ABE likes this.
  38. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I saw a JRX vader helmet and mask quite some time ago at a buddy's place. Sine Jesper had modelled it onto a casting of a DP Vader it seemed to be quite large, just as Darth stones armor did. The concept Vader is quite a lot sleeker in appearance than the movie Vader. May I recommend building a mannequin to your size for proportional reference?

Studio 49 likes this.
  39. Studio 49

Thanks for the advice Naboo. It does seem a little on the large side but I'm fine with that because I reckon once I get the bodysuit and cheats armour going it'll fill out the look.
    I also just answered my own question, I was able to make some modifications after having a another person video what was happening when wearing the helmet, photos and details to come in a minute!

40. Studio 49

Update 14:

So as I said in the previous post i was able to enlist the help of a nerd by Imperial citizen who filmed me wearing the helmet which helped me workout what was flexing.

So after watching the video it turned out it was the unsecured rear parts that were flexing, so I was able to fix them into position by using some Chicago screws that wound up being to long for use on the belt to secure the loose parts to each other and tighten up the whole rig.

It does seem a little on the large side but I'm fine with that because I reckon once I get the bodysuit and chest armour going it'll fill out the look.

So the next thing on the list is to fix the height issue, at this stage I find it's riding a bit low (although an onlooker would never known and I can still see fine and you would never know if the lenses were fitted). So I thinking I'm going to use that foam/insulation tape that some use to pad their shins, can't remember the name at the moment but I'm sure you know. That should lift it a a tad and allow me to see easier.

Also 'warning' for weird disembodied eyes. I look pretty weird with the bucket on and with my eye line sitting that tad higher. rolleyes.gif
    One more thing, I will still be cleaning up the rear a bit so it's not so ugly, I know that no one will ever see it but that kind of thing matters to me!

First some pictures of the new set up:

11A_zpssx12or9z.jpg

11B_zpswbwtxzho.jpg

11C_zpssmtexqsp.jpg

11D_zpsrhiq2k5k.jpg

And now some quick pics with the Bucket on. Beware the scary eyes!!! (mind you I could have posted a much scarier photo that had the flash going and I had my eyes closed, that was was an instant delete thats for sure!)

I'm also in the middle of redoing the front of the dome since with the combination of painting layers from me and the previous owner the lines in running across the centre axis of the front to the back had lost their detail. A bit more sanding an it'll be ready to go again.

11E_zpslo2fmygk.jpg

11F_zpsajbqgd6r.jpg

11H_zpsl1ikt4d2.jpg

rolleyes.gif

11A_zpssx12or9z.jpg

11B_zpswbwtxzho.jpg

11C_zpssmtexqsp.jpg

11D_zpsrhiq2k5k.jpg

11E_zpslo2fmygk.jpg

11F_zpsajbqgd6r.jpg

11H_zpsl1ikt4d2.jpg

Mollins likes this.
  41. Studio 49

I just received some excellent feedback over on the RMQ Concept Crew Forum in regards to sculpting and wanted to post it here as well

42. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Niiiiice! :)

43. Studio 49

Thanks man!

44. Studio 49

So I have been doing some more research, this time to see if there are any ready made items that could work for parts on the RMQ Vader, specifically the belt region.

BELT BOX
    So first of is the Belt box. I'm just going to get a hammond box, easy, quick and accurate.

HOLSTER
    So I have been looking at existing leather holsters I could get and I think that I may have found some that would work, however I am no expert on firearms or holsters and the like so if there is something out there more accurate and better or more affordable, please let me know.

Left Hip Civil War Holster
    http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-16457-left-hip-civil-war-holster.aspx
    1A_zpsusuyrg7l.png

Left Side Leather Holster
    http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-20359-left-side-leather-holster.aspx
    1B_zpsu9onk7lm.png

BELT POUCH
    Not 100% but could work. Who knows, maybe I could try and do some leather work?

Turtleback HTC One M8 Genuine Leather Holster Case Pouch with Metal Belt Clip with Magnetic Closure - Made in USA
    http://www.amazon.com/Turtleback-Genuine-Leather-Holster-Magnetic/dp/B00K2DMBXE
    1A_zpslgnoiwng.png

1B_zpsasq99rhh.png

1C_zpsgyqmkssq.png

1A_zpsusuyrg7l.png

1A_zpsusuyrg7l.png

1B_zpsu9onk7lm.png

1B_zpsu9onk7lm.png

1A_zpslgnoiwng.png

1A_zpslgnoiwng.png

1B_zpsasq99rhh.png

1B_zpsasq99rhh.png

1C_zpsgyqmkssq.png

1C_zpsgyqmkssq.png

45. Studio 49

And here are some reference pictures to compare the previous post to:

R1_zpsdk4fw9q5.jpg

K2_zpszzkdyqtm.jpg

K4_zpsks3mtjcw.jpg

K6_zps85e91m3r.jpg

K4_zpsaapliutd.jpg

K5_zpsqwvhjsrk.jpg

R1_zpsdk4fw9q5.jpg

K2_zpszzkdyqtm.jpg

K4_zpsks3mtjcw.jpg

K6_zps85e91m3r.jpg

K4_zpsaapliutd.jpg

K5_zpsqwvhjsrk.jpg

MCM likes this.
  46. Studio 49

Update 15:
    So I was able to first the fan cooling system today.
    I had to do a bit of fiddling to get it right, but I have gotten it perfect now and I am very happy with it.
    So due to the different shape and set out of the face I wasn't able to fit a 9V battery inside without it being annoying Also have heard stories of batteries leaking on cosplays heads during use, so with those 2 things in mind I have tried something a little different. I have mount the battery externally on top of the face behind the mounting area for the dome. Since it is behind the mounting area it is hidden from view, very easy to get to and also protects me from any potential leakage. The fans were attached with hot glue in the grill area and point up at an angle to cool down my face easily and a couple wires have just been stuck down with a tad of hot glue so it is still easy enough to remove if need be.

12A_zpstkagkttz.jpg

12B_zpse7uwjndb.jpg

12D_zpswslvrh7q.jpg

12E_zpsw0nncbza.jpg

So that the battery can connect to the switch and fans I drilled a small hole in the top of the face (also invisible with the dome attached) and thread it through. So now you may be thinking, "But Jonah what are you going to do if you need to remove the wiring for the battery?" and this is where I say that I have used connectors (like JST Quick Disconnects) that allows me to undo a small screw and remove different parts of the wires!
    This is certainly the best wiring I have ever done and I am very happy with it!

12C_zpsllwk5yyh.jpg

12F_zpsagloyip1.jpg

12A_zpstkagkttz.jpg

12B_zpse7uwjndb.jpg

12D_zpswslvrh7q.jpg

12E_zpsw0nncbza.jpg

12C_zpsllwk5yyh.jpg

12F_zpsagloyip1.jpg

Mollins likes this.
  47. Studio 49

So I was doing some research into how I could sculpt the shins and then came across some progress pics from Kevin at KW Designs sculpting is thigh parts for the EP 3 Clone.
    He had 2 techniques, one with a canned foam as a base and one with foam as a base. They look the most promising and look like something I could do.

So I figured I would post them here so it's easier for you guys to see:

Method 1: Spray Can Foam
    1_zpsfyw0mic7.jpg

2_zpsfcoujpxk.jpg

3_zpstimxsozs.jpg

4_zpsb2oog4gh.jpg

5_zpsbfgjdrjs.jpg

6_zpsl6pb47m9.jpg

7_zps5ubvayud.jpg

8_zpsvvqhdmz4.jpg

9_zpso8rohbzq.jpg

These are some of pictures he took specific to sculpting the back half of the shins
    10_zpsr2ocaczy.jpg

11_zpst8bkrqqi.jpg

12_zpsgumc6631.jpg

1_zpsfyw0mic7.jpg

2_zpsfcoujpxk.jpg

3_zpstimxsozs.jpg

4_zpsb2oog4gh.jpg

5_zpsbfgjdrjs.jpg

6_zpsl6pb47m9.jpg

7_zps5ubvayud.jpg

8_zpsvvqhdmz4.jpg

9_zpso8rohbzq.jpg

10_zpsr2ocaczy.jpg

11_zpst8bkrqqi.jpg

12_zpsgumc6631.jpg

48. Studio 49

Method 2: Foam Block and Filler
    1_zpskjitcnss.jpg

3_zpslg4mrcnz.jpg

4_zpsttjgp2bg.jpg

5_zpssfhs1jpw.jpg

6_zps9vxylzck.jpg

7_zps67b6vvrq.jpg

8_zpsmnw3zm6p.jpg

1_zpskjitcnss.jpg

3_zpslg4mrcnz.jpg

4_zpsttjgp2bg.jpg

5_zpssfhs1jpw.jpg

6_zps9vxylzck.jpg

7_zps67b6vvrq.jpg

8_zpsmnw3zm6p.jpg

49. Studio 49

Update 16:
    So in preparation for having a crack at sculpting then vac forming the shins, I was able to acquire a heap of high density foam for free from the University Workshop that will serve as the basis for my sculpt, you can never be too prepared I say!
    2_zpsh46fzvw5.jpg

2_zpsh46fzvw5.jpg

ABE likes this.
  50. Studio 49

I do have some experience with vac forming from school where we made things like 40cm solar powered boats that we created by building the timber base and then vac forming, so the process shouldn't be any harder than that. The biggest challenge I can see is the sculpting side of things, I'm sure it'll be challenging but I'm really looking forward to it and I hope I can learn some new skills in the process! (also just to be clear since it's not too obvious the sculpt pics above aren't mine, although that is what I'm striving to achieve)

So guess all thats left to do before I get is too find the time to get started! Once I do get some time, probably in a few weeks time, the first thing I'm going to do is print out some life size versions of reference material for the shins I can refer to them and maybe trace as well. I figure I'm going to need some sort of filler stuff for the detail work. At this stage I'm thinking either the 'fine filler' I've used for my dome or maybe try out 'builders bog...' Time to go do some research! Or of course if anybody has some suggestions for me I would love to here it, as after all I am here to learn for you guys as a go as well!