McCoy medic tunic question

Frosteon

First off, let me say I'm working again finally, so I can start on a couple stuff I've been wanting to do for a while now. I still plan on one of the oriiginal series shirts, and I found a pattern online that might help. However, I've also taken an interest in the short sleeve medic shirt that McCoy wears on occasion. (I'm more a short sleeve shirt kind of guy anyway) I've checked here http://starfleet1701st.yuku.com/ , yet I didn't find any results. So my question is, is there any patterns for the short sleeve shirt? and what material is it? I know it's velour, yet what kind specifically? Let me know.
McCoy_medical_tunic.jpg

I'ts not Velour I have seen it in person.

Satin, some have said it is bridal satin

Some kind of shiny stuff. I got good pics at Worldcon 2006, let me see if I can dig up some tonight when I get home.

k

Well here's the tunic shown in the Jein collection at Worldcon 2006... right off the bat you see that it's not the same as the one DeForest is wearing in the pic up top. Note the seams, which are high "first-season" style in the screengrab.

I suppose it could have been made later in the series though, I have not tried to locate it in the show. But it could also be modern... Phase II? New Voyages? "Tribbleations"? "Mirror Darkly"? who knows.

As to pattern, I would guess that if you get ahold of the first season "high shoulder seams" tunic pattern, and just cut the sleeves short and add the wide collar, it should work.

DSC05099.jpg

DSC05183.jpg

DSC05225.jpg

Last edited:
I had a chance to buy the actual original McCoy short sleeve back around 1985-86 and it was made of a silky/satin type fabric.
I had it in my hands and the price was very affordable but just before I gave the guy the money for it a something inside me very louldy said not to purchase it. I wanted it so bad cause it was absolutely 100% the real (pardon my pun) McCoy.
Anyway, at the last minute I backed out and didn't buy it.
It would turn out not too much later that it was part of the huge lot of original classic Star Trek tunics & uniforms that were stolen by K.B.
A sting was set up and he was eventually caught with all the stuff he took from Paramount Studios.
I always wanted that McCoy tunic and had the chance to own it for next to nothing but I made the right choice by not buying it cause it was stolen.
I was able to take a couple photos and some video of it though and I do remember it being a slik fabric or some type of satin.
Hope that helps.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back