Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials (Post-release)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Vivek, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Having seen the first movie and read all 3 books I'm looking forward to seeing this movie, even if it seems to be deviating a bit from the book. But as long as it doesn't deviate in the overall plot I can overlook some changes in the details.

3. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I read the title too quickly, thought it said "Scotch Trials," and was sorely disappointed to learn that the film will not, in fact, be about seeing who can maintain the most discerning palate while also staying upright during an epic tasting event.

Riceball likes this.
  4. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I love the look of the ruined city. I'm not a fan of teenager movies even though I was surprised by City of Ember.

5. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

I watched the first one solely because I was bored and saw Dylan O'Brien was in it. (Any Teen Wolf fans in here? :) ) I wasn't expecting the movie to be as much fun as it was. It had many problems but as a fun "teen" movie, it hit the mark with some cool post apocalyptic survivor undertones.

The second movie (this one) was very much the same. Cool running/action scenes and post apocalyptic vibes, albeit toned down for a "teen" audience. It again is not a movie without flaws, but I think it's highs much outweigh the lows.

I can't say I've read the books so I have no clue how the movie stacked up sadly. It certainly didn't take away from my enjoyment of the film though. I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

6. harrisonp

harrisonp Well-Known Member

Saw this last night, aside from the obvious book series "villain gets away" tropes, I thought it was great, even having not seen the first one. The zombie things were cool, and had my family on the edge of their seats, and I thought the effects and production design were pretty awesome too. I really appreciated that in this post apocalyptic world they kept the technology pretty believable, unlike other YA adaptations like Hunger Games and The Giver. I really want one of those face masks/helmets the WICKED troops were wearing!

7. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

I got to see this over the weekend and I though that it wasn't too bad. My main complaint is how far they deviated from the book with this one, the first one was pretty faithful but they really changed things with this one. The base plot points are more or less the same but the details behind them changed and that really changes the nature of the story and who WCKD is.

As far as the tech goes, the tech is actually supposed to be much higher in the books. Not Star Trek/Star Wars level but much higher than it was in the movie. In the books WCKD actually has a limited form of teleportation technology where they essentially open a window or door to another area and you step through and you're there. But this was limited to just WCKD and wasn't all over the place and may not have even been that common before the Flare.

harrisonp likes this.
  8. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member