May I please see your vintage ray guns?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Kal-L, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Kal-L

Kal-L New Member

As an older fan/collector, I find that the concept of the 'ray gun', in any form, is one of my favorite sci-fi trappings. I like to keep a loose definition of 'ray gun'...

...whether it's the original Buck Rogers Daisy toy like mine below to the later art-deco pieces all the way down through Han Solo's blaster, the PKD, the Lawgiver, Pulse Rifle or Spooner's piece from I, ROBOT...

...I love ray guns. They can shoot rays, sure, or bullets, or explosions or whatever. I love them.

So, to get the ball rolling, here's one of my vintage pieces, at home on the baby's room wall....;)

[attachmentid=5586]

2. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

3. rudolpht

rudolpht Well-Known Member

Now you went and did it...

4. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

I don't have any, but I have a really good book on Vintage Ray Guns.

Check out THIS site. He has your Buck Rogers Gun in the Ray Gun Section. :p

FB

5. eaviii

eaviii Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is absolutely stunning- Any pics of it lighting up or the tricorder- Still need a helmet . . .

Doc

6. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I guess creeping up on 30 years makes it vintage.

My favorite and just completed. Working, CC/Brass and aluminum DS gun.

Rylo

7. Kal-L

Kal-L New Member

moffeaton, that ray gun is stunning. I haven't jumped over to your links yet, but I'm assuming it's all scratch built. Absolutely fantastic.

Rylo, that Logan's Run Sandmasn pistol is also a beauty - I'm actually searching for an inexpensive one for the wall. How long have you had that piece?

There's something special about holding an old ray gun...heck, even a new one.

Nobody can fight the urge to make the KAPING noise...:)

8. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Now I got tha drop on ya with MYYYYY dithintigratin' pithtol. And brother, when it dithintigrates, it DITHINTIGRATTHHHHH.

Well, whatta ya know... it dithintigrated. :D

The Buck Rogers XZ-31 Rocket Pistol, the Original ray gun. Stamped steel and dreams are what it's made of. :p

[​IMG]

The Buck Rogers XZ-35, "Wilma's Pistol". Little sister to the XZ-31.

[​IMG]

The pride of any collection: the The Buck Rogers XZ-38 Disintegrator. This is the apex of ray gun design.

[​IMG]

The 50s: Rock n Roll, bobby sox, fast cars and ... RAY GUNS. :D The Hubley Atomic Disintegrator. HEAVY cast metal cap gun, feels great in the hand. The "oven dial" control design is charming as hell, ain't it?

[​IMG]

The Hubley has the distinction of having been used as a prop in one of the worst film of all time: "Teenagers from Outer Space".

[​IMG]

Flash forward to the mid 60s... this handsome example is a derivative of the Remco Hamilton's Invaders cap gun, which you will recognize as the basis for the Year One Laser Pistol prop on Lost In Space. Ironically this version was released as a Star Trek tie-in. :lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This F703 Cap Gun is pretty classic looking, but I don't have a story to go with it. Smaller than it looks too. A tiny gem.

[​IMG]

Isher Artifacts. The name is instantly recognizable to anybody who read Starlog magazine in the 70s. Isher sold their light-up ray guns thru ads in Starlog, and at conventions. Amazingly isher is still around and making their distinctive weapons, but with the latest in LED technology. This is a recent acquisition.

[​IMG]

And finally we come full circle with a piece of fine art. This "art gun" by Gordon Smuder harks back to the Lost in Space pistol, and also to the earlier golden age of ray guns.

[​IMG]

- K

9. Krel

Krel Sr Member

The Buck Rogers XZ-31 Rocket Pistol was used as a ray gun in the Buck Rogers serial. Remco issued the Grenade Pistol in three lines that I know of. In olive green, and black as the Monkey Division Okinawa Grenade Pistol. This is the one I believe was used for the first season LIS laser pistol, they also used the Remco holster in a couple of episodes. In chrome and black as the Hamilton's Invaders Grenade Pistol, this is the one I had. This was used as a laser pistol in the movie "Cybor 2067" along with the Topper Multi-Pistol 09 as a stun gun. I also had one as a Star Trek pistol in blue and black.

This is probably the ultimate toy ray gun site: http://www.toyraygun.com/home.html

David.

10. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

About 2 hours...Just finished it. :)

11. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

This is an older pic, but here's my baby:

[image]http://members.cox.net/gytheran/solo_blaster_02.jpg[/image]

12. firstmark

firstmark Well-Known Member

I have thought about moving more into collecting toy ray guns myself. The older toy guns were just too cool. The only toy guns of this sort I have are like a Johnny Seven and some made from scratch wood ray guns. I have been looking for a british Space Outlaw gun on the cheap also. Its a beautiful design. Some of the serious solid metal water guns from the past are also way cool.
    But everytime I start thinking about toy ray guns I think of all the screen used pieces I could be giving up instead by putting resources into toys.

Often I do see screen used scifi guns based on toy ray guns of various sorts.
    The power rangers silver guaridian gun was based on a toy, the Assault on Dome 4 gun also is based on a toy gun or is very close as I own a toy gun that is very close to it.

13. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

OMG - I always wondered if anyone ever ordered those guns and what they looked like in real life... " YOU CAN BUILD A WORKING LASER PISTOL..."

14. eltee

eltee Sr Member

Couple of mine:

[​IMG]

15. eaviii

A few-

Commando Cody buildup from a sqirt gun- Still a little battle damamged from 60+ year old convention goer who said "Wow. that's great. Can I hold it?"
    [image]http://www.fotoheap.com/image.php?on=207&an=1851&in=28416&t=i[/image]

Sky Captain from RPF member(?)
    [image]http://www.fotoheap.com/image.php?on=207&an=1851&in=28420&t=i[/image]

Cyberman gun from the series
    [image]http://www.fotoheap.com/image.php?on=207&an=1851&in=28417&t=i[/image]

Playmates Commander Pike ($10 at the time and still one of my favorites)
    [image]http://www.fotoheap.com/image.php?on=207&an=1851&in=28419&t=i[/image]

Mars Attacks from Trendmasters
    [image]http://www.fotoheap.com/image.php?on=207&an=1851&in=28418&t=i[/image]

and a buildup- Source unknown- Paid very little for it and the eBay seller swore it was somehow connected to Lucasfilm (apocryphal)- Made of entirely of metal with wood grips, and really a joy to hold- If anyone knows anything, chime in-

[image]http://www.fotoheap.com/image.php?on=207&an=1851&in=28421&t=i[/image]
    [image]http://www.fotoheap.com/image.php?on=207&an=1851&in=28422&t=i[/image]
    [image]http://www.fotoheap.com/image.php?on=207&an=1851&in=28423&t=i[/image]

16. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

Well, it's not old but just something I thought I would try. This is my first attempt and I think it came out pretty good.

17. Lupus Yonderboy

Lupus Yonderboy Well-Known Member

I love them - all of them :)
    Did anyone ever attempt any of the Barbarella guns?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    (Cheers Wackychimp)

/Pontus

18. phase pistol

Thanks. I think. :lol

I dunno if Isher ever sold blueprints or kits... I think just finished guns. The attraction here is of course the machined plexi barrel. The whole thing lights up. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- k

19. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

Great Job. :)

20. Jet Beetle

I meant nothing but praise. It's a beautiful gun and very unique looking. It almost looks like it's made of glass.

I miss the old days when Starlog was all I had to worry about buying.

21. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Great guns guys. Love the vintage stuff.

22. phase pistol

Thanks Beetle. :D

I do wonder some times about those DIY "phaser pistols" and "laser guns" from plans you could buy... did anybody ever actually build one... :confused

Of course these days every kid has a "laser gun" on his keychain, to annoy movie patrons with...

- k

23. Kal-L

Kal-L New Member

That Sky Captain piece is wonderful...that was offered here? Probably before my arrival...;)

I too remember those STARLOG ads, but never had the gumption (or the cash as a tyke) to order one. What an error in judegment THAT was, eh?

And hey, eaviii...if you're ever looking to unload that mystery eBay ray gun, give me a holler. That's a piece that would wonderful in my living room....:)

This place is great.

24. phase pistol

eavii: Your Sky Cap gun is from Wilco Models I think.

kdawg: Your Sky Cap gun looks familiar... did you get it off of ebay? Or sell it on ebay?

I like the Sky Cap pistol, I have one of those Wilcos myself, but I don't the definitive prop-replica version has been done yet... Casting of screenused prop or perfect "re-creation" I mean.

I do have this neat "ornament" that came out awhile back which is pretty accurate to the prop, but it's only about 3" long. :(

[​IMG]

- k

25. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

26. rudolpht

Ok, limiting to vintage, including some modern "vintage" reinterpretations.

Let's start with a real modern one, MenInBlack Pawnbroker blaster. This is big & cool.
    [​IMG]

Here are Howard's fantasmagorical Victorian blasters, simply AMAZING:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New, but Captain Proton's blaster from Star Trek (one of the few ST weapons I like) is intentionally, vintage looking:
    [​IMG]

Here's a full size Sky Captain:
    [​IMG]

Can't forget Forbidden Planet:
    [​IMG]

And here's a Kropserkel Vic Blaster interpretation. Also way cool:
    [​IMG]

There are also the Buck Rogers (TV) which look pseudo-vintage, but most folks know what they look like.

Tim

27. Kal-L

Kal-L New Member

I am stunned by those ray guns.

Just...stunned.

I'm going to need some time to digest that.

28. Howard

Howard Sr Member

Hey Tim, Vic #1 seems a little damaged - I'll repair her for you - pm sent.

Great thread.

Howard.

29. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

One of my favorites too. ;)

30. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

HERE is what the book I have looks like.

At Half Priced Books it's $7.98

FB

31. phase pistol

That's a good book... here's another one

[​IMG]

And for the complete ray gun, robot, and space toy experience, you have to have

[​IMG]

B)

32. Blaxmyth

Blaxmyth Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm pretty sure the pieces with the radial grooves stamped in are old-style bicycle saddle clamps - there used to be four per saddle, with a square bar going through them. Nice use of found parts.

What a beautiful blaster - looks like it'd have a good heft.

33. racprops

racprops Sr Member

34. eaviii

Thanks man- I had not realized where they were from but I think you're right- Also correct on it being heavy-

Doc

35. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here's two quick shots of my revamped raygun - changed the barrel and paint a little.... and added fresh batteries.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

36. phase pistol

Oooo. I like it even better, Jason. :D

Reminds me... I had picked up one of those solder guns and a vaccum tube, I was gonna make a simpler, "prototype cage laser" gun out of it...

[​IMG]

- k

37. rudolpht

Richard,

You 'da man as always.
    Tim

38. jp529

jp529 New Member

all of the ray guns are outstanding. just want you to know this thread was appreciated by me thanks guys. :thumbsup

39. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

this is a modern squirt gun, but im in the process of retroing it up.

[​IMG]

40. Kal-L

Kal-L New Member

I've noticed a lot of the modern squirt guns have that retro ray gun vibe. Gotta keep my eyes open come summertime.

;)

41. Jet Beetle

Ahhhhh - Whenever I see these pics it takes me back to the good old days - when conventions were filled with people who LOVED what they delt. You could have your ear talked off about some sci-fi show you'd never even heard of and it would make you want to see it.

Same with comics.

Modern conventions suck.

42. Jediwannabe

Jediwannabe Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have an interesting Ray Gun. I produced a music video for the film animated sci fi film Titan AE and I have a blaster that was made for the live action scenes based on the blasters in the film. It is very cool but made of styrofoam. I'll have to pull it out of storage and take some pics

43. wtac

wtac Well-Known Member

This was given to me by a mate who found it in a junk shop, it is a cap pistol.
    [​IMG]

44. airhead

airhead Well-Known Member

I haven't finished it yet, but am working on an LED-fitted former glue gun-based ray gun for my daughter. Lots of more-or-less pistol shaped things out there for starting points. If you haven't looked at Clayton Bailey's site, it always am impressed - http://www.claytonbailey.com/galleryrayguns.htm.

David

45. RShanko

RShanko Well-Known Member

This is a fun thread, I never knew ray guns were so cool, being primarily involved with collecting and building phasers..
    it's really cool to see these fantastic guns.
    Thanks

Ron

46. thedap

thedap New Member

here's one I made from one of those radio shack soldering irons.

not much of a pic, sorry.....I gave the gun away without ever getting a good picture.

was planning on puting three holes in the scope fin for that art deco look.
    [​IMG]

all in all, one of my better efforts.

47. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

not so much of a vintage ray gun, but i just got this really unique revolver like toy gun. Not sure who made it, just says Hong Kong adn patent pending, but its one of those old style capguns that smokes and pops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

48. Zev

Zev Well-Known Member

I had one of those when I was a kid. (late 80s) I loved the fact that the red bit came off like some kind of power cell. It had a really nice chunky feel to it, iirc.

49. Chairman Kaga

Chairman Kaga Active Member

I had one of those as well. In the rear of the flip up red section you would put one of those six shooter revolver type caps not the paper roll types. I wonder what ever became of mine.

50. redshirt

redshirt Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well my genuine Galaxy Quest laser gun movie props aren't too old (1999), but they have that classic look of the rest of them shown here.

First Up the aluminum Thermian Nebulizer (hero) prop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up the TV Series (hero) Nebulizer prop (missing top knob)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have some other authentic Galaxy Quest props too.

Tom