may have to abort on mission: Predator

vgfett

I was so psyched when I found out that Amazon.com had a great price on a Rubies "Deluxe" Predator costume. I ordered it and, as many of you have seen from my various posts, started researching and working to find parts and materials so that when it arrived in the mail, I could jump right in and get to work. My plan was to have it ready to wear for this Saturday, 7/10.....

The package arrived on Friday, and just by looking at the unopened package I could tell something was wrong. I couldn't understand how the Rubies mask would fit in such a flat package.. Well, upon opening it up, I noticed that even though this is supposedly the "deluxe" costume, the mask that came with it does not look at all like the one on the site OR on the actual Rubies packaging.. It looks like someone pulled a cheap ass mask out of a "creature from the black lagoon" bag, and threw it in the Predator bag. The "hands" also look like they are from El Cheapo.

I tried looking up some of the local costume shops to see if they would have the actual Rubies mask in stock here in MD, and none appear to have one. I wrote an eBay seller in FL on Saturday to see if they could have a mask to me by Thurs so I could put my backer rod dreds in it, and they totally blew me off.

So, my dream of being able to have a Predator suit is quickly fading. :) I have written the seller to indicate my disappointment to them, and also to get details on how to return the suit, and even they haven't replied.

"This deal's getting worse all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!" - Lando Calrissian, ESB

I also believe that the rubies mask & hands are the ones that are sold individually, so I would have bought the suit and then spent the extra money getting the other stuff, but I hope that everything works in your favor man sorry that it didn't pan out like you planned.

could you put up pics of the mask...then maybe someone will be able tell you if it's how it's meant to be.

I won't be able to post pics until later this evening, but the mask that came with the suit looks nothing like the one on the packaging. The mask on the packaging is the one that is shown here in the Rubies mask mod (the one that shows how to affix the backer rods etc), and looks like it has partial dreds on it. The one that came with my suit is a flimsy POS with an elastic band on the back to hold it over your head, no bio mask, and the mask doesn't even have the partial dreds on it.

I also believe that the rubies mask & hands are the ones that are sold individually, so I would have bought the suit and then spent the extra money getting the other stuff, but I hope that everything works in your favor man sorry that it didn't pan out like you planned.

I saw the ones you are talking about, however when I saw "deluxe" on the costume title, and saw that specific mask and the gloves in the pic, I thought they were all inclusive. The link below shows the costume as advertised, and you can see the Rubies mask that one of the guys here at THL tells how to upgrade (and it looks awesome to boot after the upgrade).

http://www.amazon.com/Alien-Predator-Delux...7282&sr=8-1

I saw the ones you are talking about, however when I saw "deluxe" on the costume title, and saw that specific mask and the gloves in the pic, I thought they were all inclusive. The link below shows the costume as advertised, and you can see the Rubies mask that one of the guys here at THL tells how to upgrade (and it looks awesome to boot after the upgrade).

http://www.amazon.com/Alien-Predator-Delux...7282&sr=8-1
Yeah, but no I always know when it comes to shopping that they do that to show you what it could look like when you are done buying all the other accessories along with the skin.

Yeah, but no I always know when it comes to shopping that they do that to show you what it could look like when you are done buying all the other accessories along with the skin.

I totally understand that, but usually someplace it says something like "mask and gloves shown are sold separately- you bought the ghetto version" or something to that effect..

This case is not limited to Rubies. Almost 99% of all of these masks, props etc. you buy from these site post prototype pics with pro airbrushing etc.
When u get it the mask looks like its been painted by chimpanzee. I got one of those demon scythe axe thing and on the pic its the actual master model painted all nice with no
seam lines, then the one I got look like it was shat out of a gorillaz butthole. Excuse my language. I paid like $100 bucks in shipping also.

So don't trust what you see.

Ok, I have some good news for you. It can be saved. A few folks have done some great things with the Rubies suit. I myself cut the gauntlets apart and glued the on a new base. Yes the bodysuit sucks hard but the armor can be saved. I know one member mounted some fake fur on his and made it a Barbarian Pred. If you do a search you should be able to find some ideas.

Thanks DW, I will definitely check out your links!

In other news, there is once again hope for my project! I found a seller on eBay last night who believes they should be able to get a Rubies Deluxe helmet and bio mask to me by this Friday. I have sent payment and started the timer....

If all goes well I can get the mask Friday and put the new dredz on it Friday night, and hopefully the rare earth magnets as well (I saw a pic of that elastic band that holds the bio on from Rubies, and threw up a little in my mouth).

Does anyone know if 3 rare earth magnets will be enough to hold the Rubies bio onto the mask? I keep reading reports that it is very thin plastic, so I'm assuming it's pretty light.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

VGFETT

I think three should do it, that bio is made of really thin plastic. I can test it when I get home for you, since I have that very mask

I think three should do it, that bio is made of really thin plastic. I can test it when I get home for you, since I have that very mask

Thanks DW- there is a level at HD that has 3 rare earth magnets built into it, and I'm thinking about just buying that and popping out the magnets, as long as I wouldn't need any more than 3.

I'm not near an AC Moore or Michaels, so I'm doing my best to find a source for these blasted things in a store that is near me.

I have the Rubies mask and I did the magnet modification as well. I don't know about rare earth magnets, but it took a couple neodymium magnets to get the mask to stay on.
IMG_0291.jpg

Taken with flash. This is my experimentation mask. As you can see, its a bit messy, and it took 5 neodymium magnets to give the mask a good grip.

I used three of the ones in the same picture and got good results using 3. I would go with more just to be safe, They can be found at most craft stores.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back