Matty Ghost Trap pedal upgrade

Indy Magnoli

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After doing all the work building a proton pack and upgrading the Hasbro Afterlife wand (still a few things to do); which can be seen here: My Proton Pack build (including Afterlife-to-1984 wand mod)

...I decided to start working on my old Matty Ghost Trap. So, I started with the pedal:

JRncpcFh.jpg

J9xy2HGh.jpg

5jWWvixh.jpg

I remember when I first got it, I was impressed with the trap overall, but the pedal always annoyed me on a few points but the one that REALLY got me was the ribbon cable being a cast piece of plastic. Would that have been just too hard to add a ribbon with a couple of zip ties?

...so I started modding by collecting parts and disassembling:

bRqmuZth.jpg

I used a hacksaw to trip some of the old parts off:

FZicUYch.jpg

I attached the VGA plug I got from Aliexpress to a ribbon cable, added two zip ties and already, the project looked promising!

gs2Ufbdh.jpg

Next was to remove the large relay piece. Looking through my greeblie box, I found a close-enough piece to work as the lower socket:

8y6ZFRUh.jpg

Found some long vintage screws in my box-of-things, made up some spacers and started assembling:

pyeXHoSh.jpg

I put the new relay in place, added some vintage screws to the side of the box and replaced the sticker with a metallic one:

W4vFAKgh.jpg

Next was to replace the gold-colored plastic pieces with actual brass. The various banjo pieces tend to be hard to find or expensive to source, I got a cheap piece of brass rod and started cutting with a hacksaw:

HSBsyA8h.jpg

A little bit of file work on the corners, a vintage screw and old rubber tubing... getting closer to a realistic piece:

E5jWpGKh.jpg

The other piece was a bit trickier since it has a hexagonal cross section, but some patient work with a file and some more vintage tubing created this:

lbTlmRJh.jpg

Brass pieces in place:

r5eF6SSh.jpg

I drilled some more holes on the side (you can see one drilled to counter-sink the old screws a little bit):

Zuw3ssOh.jpg

The attachment for the hose (instead of trying to replace with a real brass piece) I refinished using gold nail powder (see more on this technique here: Mando Armorer Helmet refinished using Nail Polish Powder!)

The finished product!

eTbVV9Ah.jpg

UirL70ch.jpg

p9miAilh.jpg

It's not a perfect replica by any means, but it still works and definitely looks more like a real-world item and not a toy.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.