Matt's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 suit (First suit + New suit)

Re: Matt's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 suit (First suit + New suit WIP)

I guess you can never trust unestablished seamstresses. I went to get my suit which they said will be done this morning, and they have not even started it yet. What makes it worse is that they messed up a few parts of the suit by throwing it wherever they want to put it. I had to put a few dabs of E6000 (which i just bought before getting to them) to make sure that the fabric won't mess up any further. Luckily, they're where the web lines should be. I gave them a deadline of 1 P.M. (It's 12:38 currently in the Philippines). And if they don't accomplish it by then, I'll be asking for a refund and take my suit to a real tailor, one who really makes suits and gowns because they would obviously do a better job.

Alright, time for an update. I got my suit back, they did most of it right, but they keep telling me that it is not possible to keep the invisible zippers hidden.
I mean look at that. They weren't even trying.

_DSC0110.JPG

Soooooo, I just took it home and started to do some work on this, since these "invisible zippers" will not do at all. I handstitched the invisible zippers thrice to keep them well hidden and sturdy, as you can see in the neck zip.

_DSC0111.JPG

And now the real work begins. I traced the front spider onto a rubber sheet, glued the center down to the suit with E6000, and placed a few books on top of it.

_DSC0106.JPG_DSC0107.JPG_DSC0108.JPG

I've also started freehanding the weblines, if you'll notice.

That's all for now. It's getting dark, and I get really lazy during the night :D Stay tuned for more updates.

I hope one day I get to make a spiderman suit from scratch.
Yours and thejakemoore's ultimate spider-man will look awesome.

By the way, does anybody know how to solve the neck problem on a suit? It's too dark take pics here at home, but here's what it looks like:

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 8.04.43 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-07-23 at 8.02.39 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-07-23 at 8.04.59 AM.png

These are from AStrikerJ21 on YouTube. As you can see, the neck is too thick and not really skin tight. Will puffy painting be able to solve this? Or do I need to sew some kind of elastic strap inside?

Is it zipped all the way up the back? I just got my sewn suit today and initially had that issue but it was 99% resolved when I got it zipped all the way

Is it zipped all the way up the back? I just got my sewn suit today and initially had that issue but it was 99% resolved when I got it zipped all the way

Mine was zipped all the way, and it still looks like that. Would it be resolved by pinning it down my mannequin and puffy painting?

Mine was zipped all the way, and it still looks like that. Would it be resolved by pinning it down my mannequin and puffy painting?
I don't think puff paint would have any significant effects. Puff paint is used because it can stretch with the fabric so well. Might want to pull the torso up if there is any bunching in the legs and pull the shoulder seem inward toward your neck to see if that helps.

I don't think puff paint would have any significant effects. Puff paint is used because it can stretch with the fabric so well. Might want to pull the torso up if there is any bunching in the legs and pull the shoulder seem inward toward your neck to see if that helps.

I'll keep that in mind. I'll try to think of ways to do it.

Not sure how comfortable you are with sewing or hand-stitching, but if you turn the costume inside out and bring the inseam "in" around the edges of the neck, it'll give it a tighter fit.

diagram.jpg

Have you tried this?

Yes, BUT, I'm doing my own "free-hand" pattern with a separated mask and torso (it'll be a 7-piece costume with no zippers), so my pattern is likely much simpler than one where everything's connected. But it remains an option for you if all else fails. You could always have a tailor or seamstress take in the inseam on the neck for you.

Yes, BUT, I'm doing my own "free-hand" pattern with a separated mask and torso (it'll be a 7-piece costume with no zippers), so my pattern is likely much simpler than one where everything's connected. But it remains an option for you if all else fails. You could always have a tailor or seamstress take in the inseam on the neck for you.

I'm just afraid that i might screw up. I'm actually thinking of stretching the fabric, and THEN apply the puffy paint so when the paint dries, it has already stretched the fabric. But when it fails, I guess I'll just sew an elastic strap along the neck. It'd be uncomfortable, but I'm not really gonna wear this suit a lot.

Gluing down the legs the front spider is a huge pain to do.

_DSC0112.JPG

I might have to go over some of the glue showing with a red sharpie.
_DSC0113.JPG

I need some motivation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't take the neck in on your suit. The fat neck is caused by the suit being too short for you. Taking in the neck will only make it fit worse.

UPDATE: I just finished drawing the webbing on the chest.

_DSC0114.JPG_DSC0115.JPG

Not quite sure if you can see that, but it's there. Should I start puffy painting the chest or should I wait til I finish the entire webbing?

I think this photo best captures the red and blue of the suit. Started puffy painting btw

_DSC0117.JPG

Finished puffy painting the chest. I'm really digging the shiny black effect of the webs. I'll be spraying a coat of clear spray paint so that it won't stick/tack on everything it touches.

_DSC0123.JPG

For those of you wondering, I used slick black puffy paint from Tulip.

_DSC0121.JPG

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back