Mattel Proton Pack - speculation

GeneralFROSTY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Despite the naysayers, I do believe Mattel will at some point give us a replica proton pack.
For those who believe as I do, I'd like to discuss the potential and the possibilites of this item - which no one would argue there is a demand for.

Points to discuss:

-What electonic features does the pack NEED to have and what would be nice to have.

-Based on level of accuracy, electronical engineering and overall quality, what price point would be fair?

-What areas do we feel Mattel may miss or hit the mark in replicating this prop.

I really don't think its an option for Mattel. For them to make it anywhere near "affordable" they would have to cut so many corners in design that it would most likely end up looking like a foam stunt pack.

Don't get me wrong. I'd like to see what they would come up with.

No one believed in the trap and look what we have now.... I think people just keep saying that they would have to cut too many corners but it is unfounded.

I'll take a crack at your points frosty:

-Lights and sounds (at least) perhaps the theme (at most)

-It will be all plastic. Probably no alice frame but that will be an easy remedy. Probably same type of molded cables for the rainbow cable and the wires (which will be easy to replace as on the trap).

I think they can do it, but It will probably be between 350 and 400. But they have surprised me on the pricing already with their other props.

I agree, all plastic and the alice pack will be an issue they probably won't add on, although it may not be that much more costly to do so. They have done an incredible job on electronics and sound, so I honestly think they can do so with this as well. I did my electronics with a minimal effort and wiring, so it can be done. The issue is how accuracy versus the price and costing of components.

This should be the next project, given the demand and line already produced.
However...
There is always the possibility they may continue on with the GB3 designs next.

OK so if it is say $300.

You do like some are doing with the trap, ie mod the hell out of it by replacing all non accurate parts with accurate ones. By the time you are done you will have bought most all of the parts to build your own but you'll have a cheap plastic shell.

I guess I am hoping we can get a great pack replica for a reasonable price, but part of me wants to go ahead and pull the trigger on buying a high-end fan made replica.
At least that way, I know the parts are all high-quality, with pretty much no mods needed. The downfall, no fancy packaging and an official license to back it up.

There is no way gb3 will factor into their decisions considering it hasn't even been greenlit yet.

Understand with the fan made pack, you will have a hardy pack that can take the punishment and looks real. As much as Mattel can do and as much as you can probably can mod it, it won't be a hard tough base to pop everything else onto as you get with the fan packs. ( although... you never know for sure) It will not look as good as a fan pack though. But I bet it can be modded to do a pretty darn good job, so I know I will be looking to get at least one if I can.

The issue i have is that modding destroys the value of a licensed collectible. If you want to have a great pack, I would think it would be best to just make one. But for the average collector and GB fan, a Matty pack would be a must have for any GB collection.

Tripoli, will you get a matty pack?

I, personally, consider myself an average collector when it comes to GB so I am stoked to hear if they do a pack.

I remember how exciting it was to hear the trap announced with all of its features. They went above and beyond with the trap so I expect they will with a pack.

edit: again, you don't start a product line without doing market research. Part of that research entails planning a line of releases. It would almost be irresponsible not to do the pack now!

Tripoli, will you get a matty pack?

I, personally, consider myself an average collector when it comes to GB so I am stoked to hear if they do a pack.

I remember how exciting it was to hear the trap announced with all of its features. They went above and beyond with the trap so I expect they will with a pack.

edit: again, you don't start a product line without doing market research. Part of that research entails planning a line of releases. It would almost be irresponsible not to do the pack now!

Agreed 100%.
For Mattel to NOT do the pack would be irresponsible.

And there already seems to be an obvious progression from smaller to larger props.

PKE<Ghost Trap<Proton Pack<Ecto 1 full size, working car (entirely plastic, of course)

I have three built packs right now. I absolutely would get at least one of the Matty packs if not more depending on the price and quality. Given everything else Matty has done, the second factor does not seem to be an issue so far.

I guess Im just on the fence right now.
Im shopping around for a completed pack and am looking to pay upwards of $900 for one that has full lights and sounds.
My main concern with a potential Mattel pack is just what everyone has been saying - very plastic all over and littered with shortcuts.

I don't think you would go wrong building your own pack. Once you get the parts, it really is not all that difficult to assemble, just a bit time consuming but I have done multiple packs in less than a week once I have the parts.

Probably a good measure of what Matty can do is to look at the trap. It is a solid piece, electronics are incredible but it does look plastic. Not bad at all, but there is a bit of fragility with it. The average person on the street would not notice, a prop replica person or cosplay person would immediately. But add a Matty pack with a good outfit (jumpsuit, pads belt etc), I think even most in the prop community would find it to be a pretty darn good piece to wear.

THAT IS assuming Matty IS going to make the pack. There is no absolute on that yet.

Hmm, sorry, I'll count as a naysayer... But I don't think it is possible at a decent price.

Matty has blessed us with the PKE and the Ghost trap. Both are small objects. Both include a high level of accuracy and quality, and I think ( but can be wrong ) that the little changes here and then are just decisions made to ease the production.

The trap is purely awesome, worth its price.

BUT

The trap is already more than 100 $ and is a "small" object. I saw $300 as a price for the pack, but that wouldn't even cover the material cost IMHO. To make something that big (the pack covers an adult's back ), that heavy, to include all the details and the electronics ? I don't picture it at $300, sorry. I don't picture them cutting down the quality to ship a crappy-but-cheap pack. I don't think they can do it at an affordable price, unfortunately.

This is why I think their next prop might rather be the Googles, to stay around the $100 mark price.

My two cents. :))

Plastic is cheap. Material cost for the plastic alone for a pack would cost Mattel no more than 10 dollars.

People will pay upwards of $700 for a Star Wars helmet replica that does nothing but sit there and look pretty.
I have no doubt collectors would shell out $500 for a Proton Pack replica that has all the bells and whistles.

I see Mattel producing something middle of the road as far as price and quality. I see a fairly decent pack that we prop nuts can tinker with to bring it up to our standards. Probably around $400-$500 range.

Nah, I dont believe they make a pack...

I still believe they make figures till the end of 2012 and thats it for Matty with the GB line...

And hey, I dont think it would be very acurate. I dont believe there would be an alice pack frame or something.

And of course a lot of people were p***** off, because Mattys release plans are a little bit.... lets call it strange... The end of Club Ecto 1, the release of two pricy figure packs, both in one month... There are not many matty friends out, as in the beginnings...

So, they would themselve a favour, if they make the last figures, and then its done...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back