Mattel Ghost Trap?

received my 2nd trap today after my first defective one went in. Now waiting 6 days for them to get back to me as the 2nd one is defective as well. One door is just stuck where it will not open or close fully and when I try to push on it, it just springs to the same position it was in while the other door fully opens and closes. Also came with 2 of the stickers on it torn. Anyone else having the same issues of multiple returns? I'm hoping the 3rd trap is the charm if they ever get back to me.

Another tip I would throw out there for when the trap seems like it won't turn on, is that it helps to press the button and release the cartridge, and then push it back in. Reminded me of the good ol' NES days.

But yeah, they are a bit finicky, but too cool to complain about.

Sorry about that shen, I hope you get it sorted.

There's a gentleman here that wants to buy one of my extra traps. I tell him no prob but he might want to find someone else 'cause I got screwed by customs and need $XXX per trap.

He says no problem, that's what they seem to be going for anyways. What's shipping to Belgium?

I finally get to the post office today and it's $80 for SURFACE MAIL!
Yep, I was that guy ;-). Bought a trap from someone in the UK recently. Shipping was much less, and I didn't had to be afraid, customs would scr*w me too. (I paid a lot more than the actual price Mattel asked, but if I also calculate "normal customs fees" I would have to pay to order this from the US, I think I made a pretty good deal).

Anyway, my package arrived yesterday, but unfortunately, this thing comes without batteries (the PKE meter had batteries included). So I'll get some batteries today and try the thing out this evening. I really hope everything works, because I read quite some complaints of technical defects for this traps. :(. The trap was brand new, with white outer box en still in it the plastic bags (even the plastic protection thingies over the ends of the cable, were still on it).

I also have the PKE meter. Paid a bit too much for it (for my taste), but it also arrived brand new, with the (still sealed) white mailer box and without the slightest damage on the boxes. It's a bit too obvious that it's plastic, but the lights, sounds and interactive options makes it a great prop.

I finally get to the post office today and it's $80 for SURFACE MAIL!

My first thought, before I saw your avatar, was "must be in Canada". Shipping is crazy expensive here in Sweden (especially when converting to dollars these days) but you guys in Canada have it real bad. A few years ago I was getting a Proton Pack shell. Shipping regular airmail from Canada, from the original maker, would have been $400 (a lot more than the actual shell) and cost of shipping the exact same piece from California was $80. I have a friend in Canada who often sends me certain things I can't get here, like Quaker granola bars and Fruit Rollups (yeah I know, but I love 'em when I was a kid) and her shipping cost is usually many times the cost of the candy!

Put batteries in it, and it works :). The shaking is much less than I expected, though. You see it moving a little bit. You hear the servo's working, but really shaking? No, not really. Much noice, not so much movement...

Put batteries in it, and it works :). The shaking is much less than I expected, though. You see it moving a little bit. You hear the servo's working, but really shaking? No, not really. Much noice, not so much movement...

Get into test mode, you can make it damn near shake itself apart :)

Get into test mode, you can make it damn near shake itself apart :)
Nope, if I get in test mode and go to the part where it has to shake, it makes A LOT of noise and now and then it gives a bump. But it's not that it's shaking itself apart...

I opened up the trap (couldn't resist) but everything seems fine: there's a servo at the back that rattkes the "claw" that comes out of the trap "cassette". That claw graps around the part that moves the back wheels. It all works, it's only not "strong" enough to shake the whole thing. I did use new batteries. I assume the plastic part (the claw) doesn't move strongly enough.

Last edited:
Mmm fiddeled around with it, but no solution yet. I'll have to buy another trap, I'm afraid :-(... I really want one with all the bells and whistles working as they sould be. Good thing my companies bonusses are paid within a week :)

get them cheap while you can. This is one of the best replica props for the money ever.
Yeah, to be sure to have a perfect one, I think I'll buy a few others and keep the best and see the others as an "investment" and sell them later on, when most are in the hands of collectors...

Bought two replacements in Europe and already received one of them. (My girlfriend is already mad I order a second trap. Don't know what I have to say when the third one arrives at our house ;) ). This one works perfectly: all the lights work as they should. The doors open correctly (without a grinding noice) and the rocking of the trap with the sound effect works like a charm (also no grinding noices here). I tried the test sequence and indeed, you can make the trap shake as h*ll... I'm very happy that I could get my hands on this trap.

If I receive the second one, and this one works great too, I might open it up to see what's the difference with the trap I already have. But for now, I don't risk damaging a perfectly working trap.

Anyway, great prop. I got the replacements for a bit more than the official price, but let's hope their price rockets in the next months, so I can make some profit on them ;-). Extra money to spend on... yeah... props...

Man reading some of these stories, I wonder if I shouldn't crack open my 2nd one to check its electronices.

Man reading some of these stories, I wonder if I shouldn't crack open my 2nd one to check its electronices.
You'd better do. These are the defects I heard of or experienced myself:

1. Doors that don't open completely.
2. Lights under the door that don't work correctly (there should be three colours of lighting).
3. The PKE meter (yellow lights) on the trap that don't work correctly (the PKE meter should build up, with the little round light lighting up in the end).
4. The shaking that doesn't work.
5. Grinding noices when the doors open or the trap shakes.
6. The pedal that doesn't work.
7. The cable between the trap and the pedal that doesn't give a good connection between the two.

Problem with the doors seems the most common, as far as I know...

So yeah, this trap has quite some issues. But I assume most of them work as it should be.

I'm still sitting on my 2nd defective trap and my suggestion is to check it out. Customer service has been horrible and I'll be placing my 7th call today. Its been over 1 month and they have not sent me the shipping label they said would take about 72 hours. After today I will be filing a charge back with my credit card as well and see if I can get my money back if they refuse to do any returns or replacements. When I get someone on the phone, they just tell me they'll look into it and get back to me within 48-72 hours, when I get someone to reply back to me through email, they comment that they'll be sending me a shipping label.

You'd better do. These are the defects I heard of or experienced myself:

1. Doors that don't open completely.
2. Lights under the door that don't work correctly (there should be three colours of lighting).
3. The PKE meter (yellow lights) on the trap that don't work correctly (the PKE meter should build up, with the little round light lighting up in the end).
4. The shaking that doesn't work.
5. Grinding noices when the doors open or the trap shakes.
6. The pedal that doesn't work.
7. The cable between the trap and the pedal that doesn't give a good connection between the two.

Problem with the doors seems the most common, as far as I know...

So yeah, this trap has quite some issues. But I assume most of them work as it should be.

Damn mine makes a grinding noise when the doors open and close ...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Damn mine makes a grinding noise when the doors open and close ...
If it's just a slight grinding noice, I think it's normal. For both the traps I have now, you can hear some kind of grinding when the doors open. But the noice of the trap doors opening (the plastic doors bumping the plastic of the frame) is louder than the grinding, so you really have to listen carefully to hear it.

If the grinding can already / still be heard right before / right after the doors opening, then this is not normal.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back