Matt Wagner's GRENDEL coming to Netflix!

Usagi Pilgrim

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

One of my all-time favorite comics is FINALLY getting a live action adaptation.

I'm happy with the Hunter Rose casting as well.
Screenshot_20210914-185604.png

Can't wait to see what Argent looks like.

Huge fan of the comics as well, I even own two original lycra Grendel masks that were produced back in the 80's that were sold in stores and one of the expensive Mark Bowen Grendel statues that I bought with my first big paycheck back in the 90's. I think it was my first expensive purchase.
I'm interested to see how they will do the mask and the fork (as I most assurredly will want replicas). I'm also terrified of Netflix pulling a "Netflix" on yet another adaptation and diluting or outright ignoring the source material as they are prone to do.

Huge fan of the comics as well, I even own two original lycra Grendel masks that were produced back in the 80's that were sold in stores and one of the expensive Mark Bowen Grendel statues that I bought with my first big paycheck back in the 90's. I think it was my first expensive purchase.
I'm interested to see how they will do the mask and the fork (as I most assurredly will want replicas). I'm also terrified of Netflix pulling a "Netflix" on yet another adaptation and diluting or outright ignoring the source material as they are prone to do.
I agree that I want as faithful an adaptation as possible, but since Wagner himself seems to be involved, I can handle changes as long as the main story beats are still there. I haven't read anything of The Umbrella Academy except the first series, & they've been changing some of the big things in that, but still presenting a good story that doesn't crap on the source material. I read an interview with Gerald Way where he was appreciative of some of the changes because he felt it made a more cohesive story. I guess since this is coming from the same Dark Horse deal as that, I guess I too am cautiously optimistic.

Jealous of the mask, man. That was something that over the years I've looked for & even considered having one commissioned, but just never have. I had a chance to get one of the plastic ones that Graffiti Designs made back in the day, but I was more obsessed with getting the action figure instead. I'm sure this will rekindle the need for all things GRENDEL in my life.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I highly recommend the BATMAN/GRENDEL crossover. It was actually my first introduction to the character & still has some of my favorite art from ANY comic.

... Now to go dig out some mid-90's GRENDEL PRIME reprints. LOL

Grendel is a great comic, very surprised but excited that this is happening. Andrew Dabb is a big question mark for me as he's only really has Supernatural and a few films under his belt. I couldn't get into Supernatural but it was a long running popular show. Also echo the concerns about Netflix but Wagner being a part of this is a really good sign. Looking forward to it.

There's actually a new Grendel Prime graphic novel coming out December 21st called Grendel: Devil's Odyssey for anyone who didn't know.

I love the Batman crossover with Grendel and that's one of the few Batman comics I own. Also there is a Hunter Rose crossover with The Shadow graphic novel.

As for the Grendel masks I own, one I've unboxed and worn before, the other I have never unboxed. I honestly have no idea if they are worth anything or not but when I had the chance to buy at least two I knew I would leave one boxed. I know when I bought them the guy who actually made them got in contact with me when he heard I was looking for them and said he still had a few boxes of them lying around, so that's how I ended up getting mine. But this was back in the early to mid 90's and I honestly don't even remember who he is.

There's actually a new Grendel Prime graphic novel coming out December 21st called Grendel: Devil's Odyssey for anyone who didn't know.

I love the Batman crossover with Grendel and that's one of the few Batman comics I own. Also there is a Hunter Rose crossover with The Shadow graphic novel.

As for the Grendel masks I own, one I've unboxed and worn before, the other I have never unboxed. I honestly have no idea if they are worth anything or not but when I had the chance to buy at least two I knew I would leave one boxed. I know when I bought them the guy who actually made them got in contact with me when he heard I was looking for them and said he still had a few boxes of them lying around, so that's how I ended up getting mine. But this was back in the early to mid 90's and I honestly don't even remember who he is.
If this is the one you have, I've seen them go for $90-$300. This one was signed by Matt Wagner & went for $127.

Your post made me want to leave 3 emoji responses- a like, a love, & a mad, all at the same time. LOL

More casting reveals.

Love pretty much EVERYTHING about this casting. Glad for a Native American actor for Argent, & I'm really curious as to how he'll be realized on the show.

I've actually been thinking about it, & if they went the way of a shape shifter, it would still play with the legend of Argent, & probably save a bit of money. As long as Wagner is ok with some story changes, I'd much rather that happen than see a 'Scorpion King' level of a bad CGI Argent.

The Hunter Rose omnibus just arrived. The Christine Spar second omnibus is scheduled to release the end of the September and the third Orion's Reign omnibus is now up for pre-order on Amazon and scheduled to release at the end of January.

I think I have the TPBs and/or issues that form the Orion's Reign run. I always dug that section, especially War Child.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back