Materials for a 6' T Rex build to be used by a kid

tomcam

Been a while since I've done anything like this and materials seem to have evolved rapidly since the, uh, 1970s when I last built props. Want to build a 6' T static Rex. It's for my teenage son, who is severely developmentally disabled, so it has to be sturdy and huggable. I assume the best way to begin the sculpt is a heavy gauge wire, or even twisted coat hangers, as an armature, then... foil to bulk it out, then... what for the tough exterior? Do people still use latex? If not, what would the sturdy outer skin be made of? Hoping I don't need to make a plaster cast but will if I have to. These days there's probably some cool poly clay stuff you can use to sort of build up over the armature. I'm imagining that Halloween haunted house prop companies probably have the right kind of material, but I don't know what it is. For all I know there's 3D printer material one could use.

Not too concerned about cost of materials, but ideally the thing would be rugged and luggable. He's 6'1" and of average strength, but he will drag it around like his 3' high stuffed raptors if at all possible.

TIA.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back