Matchbox's 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Dr Freeman

Re: H.E.V Suit Build - Start to Finish!

Very well made! I am really liking what I a seeing!

Thanks! Sorry its Been a while, too skint and or lazy.. one of the two XD

But I haven't given up it's still going:

This ones my custom CG arm bracer, I found the regular one available to download didn't fit my arms proportions even when scaled up, forearms were too big for it...
IMG_20140319_204858.jpg

And here it is in comparison to the Nugget one:
IMG_20140319_205340.jpg

Finally the obligatory progress shot XD made the other upper arm, just 1 more forearm and the 2 shins then I can start making some proper progress!
IMG_20140319_205942.jpgIMG_20140319_210122.jpg

Helm still needs painting and the breather detailing but I'll get there eventually, it's no longer an essential or even needed piece.

Thanks for stopping in!

/M

Hey hey,

Long time since my last update.. been having some pretty crap weather so no sanding or.. anything really.. plus a lack of motivation.
buuuut Comicon in 2 weeks so I need to get this finished! No rushing though.

here's where I'm at, all parts built ready for paint, going to make a start on that this evening.

The finished Arm bracer:
IMG_20140427_152014.jpgIMG_20140427_152056.jpg

Test fit of the torso, it's tight but it works, scrapping the helmet, it looks far to big, out of proportion and restricts head movement considerably plus it just about fits my head.
IMG_20140427_211245.jpgIMG-20140427-WA0000.jpg

Overview, all finished, bar a few details in this shot:
IMG_20140427_213213.jpg

Dude, looking great so far! I really like your abs armor! And the more pictures I see of your suit the more I realize I love your weathered paint job! :thumbsup

Looks great! I've got an HEV build underway as well (pics on forum under my username slubot)

I really like the like under armour and forearm pieces.

Re: H.E.V Suit Build - Finished

Dude, looking great so far! I really like your abs armor! And the more pictures I see of your suit the more I realize I love your weathered paint job! :thumbsup

Thanks yeah it's getting there, 2 more weeks till con' gotta get painting the rest!

Looks great! I've got an HEV build underway as well (pics on forum under my username slubot)

I really like the like under armour and forearm pieces.

yeah I saw, was the first post on the thread ;) at the moment I'm really disappointed with my leg pieces, they are not symmetrical and have dents etc on them, going to try and blag it as damage but :/ no time to re-build (even in foam) but I may re-build them for a later date!

Last edited:

With 2 weeks till your con you have to keep moving :) Some creative painting like you suggest could do.
My Con is this Saturday. Looking forward to a rest. It's been gogogoon this suit for a loooong time trying to make it on time.
Keep the pics coming. Can't wait to see it all done.

And here's the final thing.... was a bit annoyed at the shins breaking.... as soon as I stepped onto the tube, crack.. sad times but hey, from the knees up it was wicked ;)

The suit as it stood before Comicon
IMG_20140517_201239.jpgIMG_20140517_201301.jpgIMG_20140518_181101.jpg

Crowbar in production, didnt have time to do a proper bondo sculpt of one so a crappy plaster and foam one sufficed (though I'll make a proper one soon)
IMG_20140518_124715.jpg

Couple of pics while I was there - I had a pro photographer mate with me who's got some good shots too so they will follow as and when he finishes tidying them up etc :)
IMG_20140524_144935.jpg_20140524_231137.JPG_20140525_181739.JPG

Lessons learned from this time... the leg and arm parts needed to be made of a lighter, less rigid, material the shins cracked off as well as the forearms and thighs, from readjusting 'cause the straps weren't sufficient.

The biceps survived the whole day! until I had a few drinks and carried it out of the bar, dropped and shattered... again, too rigid ;)

So to add to the suit will be leg and arm pieces re-made from foam with some fibreglass re-reinforcement and the crowbar. Also going to re-do my lighting array and replace the colours with White LED's so they can be seen clearer when they are turned on.

Thanks! After all the work put into this, I was pretty annoyed all the breakages but it looked alright for the time needed... except for the shins, Dr Freeman in calf armour and 3/4 length work trousers, living the high life, good job I cropped all the photo's above the knee XD

I'll have some progress on the replacement parts, I had to re-think the aesthetics a bit for use with foam, but I'm trying to keep it as close to what I had as I can.

Anyways thanks for stopping in and all that, I'll be back!

Hey guys, thanks for the support up to the completion of the first bit of this project :)

I've been not very active (lazy) with finishing this project off, but I'm getting there now, here are some updated pics of the arms and legs that all broke:

Ran out of yellow to make the earthy orange colour for now :/
IMG_20140629_003210.jpgIMG_20140629_003226.jpgIMG_20140629_003233.jpgIMG_20140629_003312.jpg

Painted the gloves after playing HL1 again XD and just mapping out where I am going to mount the flashlight:

IMG_20140629_003219.jpg

Until next time!

Ha Thanks guys!

YES more updates! though you may have to wait another day for me to grab some pics XD

Basically finished re-making all the bits that broke, and they're painted and finished... Well they've been painted and finished for a while, just a drive on another project or 3 has stopped me from updating :)

Also this weekend just past I've repaired the torso section and re-touched the scratched paint job and made a slight mod for easier fitting.

I'll be hitting the London Film and Comic Con on Saturday the 18th October, so I wanted to get everything ship shape!

Next step I need a new Crowbar... I was going to get a friend to 3D print one (as he can do it for free) buuuut.. he's also pretty forgetful XD

Anyway, thanks for stopping in.. I'll update with pics next!

/M

If you want a decent crowbar you can actually hit people with, you should check this out:

Of course, this is a wrench, but you can do the same thing with the crowbar! They have several projects you can do.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

hmm not bad, I had something like this in mind using a plaster mould and casting some sort of resin into it... that PT flex looks a little bit floppy but I suppose a metal rod would work quite well in a simple shape like a crowbar..

anyways thanks for the tip! You got any recommendations for a slightly more rigid casting fluid?

Here's that Update.. well its not exactly much, just finished painting stuff!

Arms
IMG_20140930_081202.jpg

Legs
IMG_20140930_081306.jpg

Crowbar next! gonna make the mould this weekend I hope... only got a few weeks though!

Also did a pretty nifty re-model/ tidy up of the work area! lovely place to zone out!
IMG_20140921_184621.jpg

I'll have the crowbar (at least the mold for it) this weekend. I've just put this up as the costume contest entry.. 'cause why not ey, it's still in progress :)
So I'll be adding the relevant pics later of the new completed parts etc.

EDIT - Additional information :/

The mold for the Crowbar has been made! I wrapped a regular crowbar in Mud-roc and will cut it out once the plaster has set then reinforce with paper-mache... see how that goes!

Last edited:
Here's the proof of concept image... Basically what it looks like when it's all together, prior to visiting the London Film and Comic Con at Earls Court! Great day, great fun... shame I missed the 'Sneaky Zebra' filming guys I wanted a couple shots with them - this thing weighed too much to go on any longer though!

IMG-20141020-WA0001.jpgIMG-20141020-WA0002.jpg

Again I had issues with the limb armour :/.. BUT only the thighs and biceps 'cause I used a really crap thin foam for them! mistake... SO, I will make them yet again.... from proper 10mm foam and reinforce them this time :|

I will have some more 'pro' shots soon.. I hope.. (I know I said it last time I would have them... and still haven't) BUT I WILL, eventually!

IMG_20141019_123324.jpg

This is the actual Crowbar... I painted it as a display piece... she's going on my wall!

The cast didn't work... simple as.. I had neither the time or materials unfortunately :/

Enjoy!

/M

Last edited:
Nice to see it all together! Great paint job on the crowbar! I really adore the weathered look of your HEV suit, it is so much more fitting than the "new" look my suit has (due to a lack of proper painting skills ;)),

And good luck on the competition! :)

Ah keep at it! just takes time, dab darker colours into lighter colours with a stiff'ish paintbrush etc. preferably while they're still wet you get a nice blend, all it takes is practice XD

Also thanks... I entered the masquerade at the LFCC and didn't even place, got beaten by a ninja turtle made out of balloons, but then I didn't really have an 'act' like everyone else did :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back