Master Replicas Tricorder Rebuild

Captain Dunsel

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
About 8 years or so ago, I picked up a couple of broken MR ”Star Trek” Tricorders on EBay. This one was in the worst shape and was basically a pile of parts in a box with scratches in the metal. The electronics were a total loss, which was absolutely fine as I did not care for the electronics in any case.

Over the years, I had repaired the damage to the metal, polished the scratches out of the screen, reassembled the prop, and replaced the strap but one thing had me stuck short of completion. The control panel was badly damaged and completely unusable, with a deformation gauge from the backside near the right-hand watch crown area.

8043006C-381B-4353-9508-D299730F986A.jpeg

Nicksdad to the rescue! I was able to adapt a control panel from him that also had a much more accurate “Television Screen” cut-out shape than the stock MR panel (which appears to have been the result of MR possibly using the larger and, poorly cut, bad traveling matte lines of the “television screen” seen in some close-up insert shots of the control panel on the show). I tossed the MR watch crowns and used real vintage ones, upgraded the mic material with accurate vintage transistor radio grille, and used vintage T-Jet hubs for the controls.

I can finally call this one done:

A3EEE553-91FE-47BE-9DDD-7F3E19396DD8.jpeg

74202E20-FBC4-41FA-8E90-5EF8B5B54E90.jpeg

9A0255AE-3142-40E3-8F2E-A745821F7499.jpeg

CF252C4A-EA1F-4A06-8B19-F29B91ABA9FA.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great. Do you know if this was an MR return or did someone just trash it and basically throw it away?

Looks great. Do you know if this was an MR return or did someone just trash it and basically throw it away?

I believe it may have been a return. The Seller was selling a bunch of other different MR items at the time (I really regret not picking up a very slightly damaged Nautilus, that they had up for grabs).

Last edited:
To Alley and Whom: (This is an older Thread but someone might see this who might help.) I just acquired an MR Tricorder with nothing in the midcompartment and all electricals gone from the side panels (see attached). Plan A is to rebuild the midcompartment with an aluminum disk array, manually operated moiré, and install one of Bart Braun's Simulator Faceplates (see attached). Plan B is to restore the midcompartment and leave it as a static build. Opinions anyone...? Best. Mike.

Attachments

• Elvis MR2.jpg
    Elvis MR2.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Bart-A Glow.jpg
    Bart-A Glow.jpg
    843.6 KB · Views: 43
To Alley and Whom: (This is an older Thread but someone might see this who might help.) I just acquired an MR Tricorder with nothing in the midcompartment and all electricals gone from the side panels (see attached). Plan A is to rebuild the midcompartment with an aluminum disk array, manually operated moiré, and install one of Bart Braun's Simulator Faceplates (see attached). Plan B is to restore the midcompartment and leave it as a static build. Opinions anyone...? Best. Mike.
Hey there!

Or…you could take that cam replica (seen in your photo) and build it up as a Geo-Tricorder, complete with “flashing light action!”.

If you are going to restore it to the original MR appearance, do you have the aluminum “memory disc” drum?

Hey there!

Or…you could take that cam replica (seen in your photo) and build it up as a Geo-Tricorder, complete with “flashing light action!”.

If you are going to restore it to the original MR appearance, do you have the aluminum “memory disc” drum?

Thanx for the prompt reply, Alley.

The Geo was never a favorite but I do have a DST version for my occasional Jones.

I have a spare Marco disc array and the always-dependable Mike Reader can turn something if I need a custom piece. I still have to figure out my approach for the mid-compartment backplate and midplate.

Best. Mike.

Hey there!

Last edited:
Hey there!

(Ignore the previous reply, my phone's web browser seems to be having a bit of a fit.)

Thanx for the prompt reply, Alley.

The Geo was never a favorite but I do have a DST version for my occasional Jones.

I have a spare Marco disc array and the always-dependable Mike Reader can turn something if I need a custom piece. I still have to figure out my approach for the mid-compartment backplate and midplate.

Best. Mike.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back