Master Replica Vader FX grips are very sticky

I was rearranging my display shelves today and took my Star Trek: The Next Generation First Contact phaser out of the case. The rubber grip on the handle is starting to get tacky. Not something I tend to handle a lot so I will leave it alone for now.

I just unpacked my ESB saber after some years of pausing my hobby and of course it was sticky too.
Well I asked my wife how to clean because she has a bunch more experience in those things lol
So I finally cleaned the grips successfully with orange cleaner and 3 sheets of kitchen paper.

Was using easy off on an anodized portion of my parks Arc Wave saber.

I decided to give a soft wipe to get any grime off my FX ESB Vader.

Low and behold, the sticky grips were no longer sticky.

Last edited:
My Episode 3 Anakin and Episode V Vader each had this issue. as far as I can tell, they sprayed a rubberized material over plastic grips. Once I cleaned the rubberized crap off, they were fine.

Spray some no scent/no fume easy off into a rag and wipe away at the grips.

Let it sit for a bit and repeat.

Wipe off again and let it sit over night. In the morning you will have grips with no stick!

The easy off will dissolve the coating.

Haha, too funny. I pulled my old ESB one out because I was going to try to pull the blade off and display the hilt until Roman comes out with his Graflex and it was all sticky. I thought it must have sat in something that made it that way, so I cleaned it off, then came here to see if anybody had instructions for getting the blades off, and low and behold, this thread popped up.

I've not experienced this problem but if it were me, I might try cleaning the grips with Goo Gone to see if it helps remove the stickiness.
Goo B Gone will clean just about anything. used to use this to get that sticky film from Duct and Tuck tape off of floors. I have the Hasbro force fx 2010 I`m sure over time the same will happen to mine age etc, I`ll probably just convert it at that time.

Seems MR LE and SE lightsabers are affected as well.

I cleaned my MR 2 Force FX Vader sabers with a Baufix solution, then with a window cleaner, and then added Armor All over the t-tracks. Excellent result so far, this also refreshed the chrome and the other parts. Curios is these grips will degrade further or the tacky layer that is gone now was the lone culprit

May I ask specifically which Baufix and Armor All products you used. (Both companies make a lot of products!)

I'm afraid you will find that they will eventually become tacky again. As someone pointed earlier in thread, the stickiness wells up from inside the plastic. But I am curious to know how long your solution will keep the grips clean.

Seems MR LE and SE lightsabers are affected as well.

I cleaned my MR 2 Force FX Vader sabers with a Baufix solution, then with a window cleaner, and then added Armor All over the t-tracks. Excellent result so far, this also refreshed the chrome and the other parts. Curios is these grips will degrade further or the tacky layer that is gone now was the lone culprit

May I ask specifically which Baufix and Armor All products you used. (Both companies make a lot of products!)

I'm afraid you will find that they will eventually become tacky again. As someone pointed earlier in thread, the stickiness wells up from inside the plastic. But I am curious to know how long your solution will keep the grips clean.

I posted cleaning mine back in Dec 2013. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=132035&p=3148041&viewfull=1#post3148041

I just checked and the grips are still free of any stickiness. If I had to guess, whatever is inside the grips making them sticky is finite. As I stated in my post, I used alcohol pads. I've also used alcohol on cotton balls. It's a cheap solution. If the grips are real sticky, you may have to use several wipes until the stickiness is finally eliminated.

I posted cleaning mine back in Dec 2013. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=132035&p=3148041&viewfull=1#post3148041

I just checked and the grips are still free of any stickiness. If I had to guess, whatever is inside the grips making them sticky is finite. As I stated in my post, I used alcohol pads. I've also used alcohol on cotton balls. It's a cheap solution. If the grips are real sticky, you may have to use several wipes until the stickiness is finally eliminated.

Well now, looks like I'm gonna head out to the local CVS & see about getting some alcohol pads :thumbsup
As I've said many times... I love the RPF!
Thank you Mara Jade's Father! I hope it works on the LE & SE versions of the MR lightsabers, cause as Jkno said (I can verify) they're sticky alright.

Well now, looks like I'm gonna head out to the local CVS & see about getting some alcohol pads :thumbsup
As I've said many times... I love the RPF!
Thank you Mara Jade's Father! I hope it works on the LE & SE versions of the MR lightsabers, cause as Jkno said (I can verify) they're sticky alright.

I had to do the same thing a while back when I found the grips on my MR Star Trek: First Contact phaser also had sticky grips. It worked for that too. Good luck.

That's great news. And the first confirmation we've had in this thread (I think) that a solution has held up over time. I was pass this info on to people I've sold these sabers to. (I just sold another converted Hasbro Vader with sticky grips last week. Obviously I told the buyer in advance about the problem.)

ArmorAll Protectant Semi-Matt Finish and Baufix cleaner (I guess an equivalent of Goo-gone)

image.jpg

Funny this should pop up!

I just cleaned up my 05 Vader with 99% IPA.

Cut right through all the funk pretty easily. Hoping it will last!

Just wanted to say thanks for the tips and advice.

Got my Luke ANH out for Halloween and the grips were incredibly sticky. Grabbed a bottle of 50% IPA and some gauze pads and a few minutes later the stickiness was gone.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back