Master Chief H4 armor and undersuit

morkar78

Hi everybody,
I'm new in this wonderful site and I'm trying to build my first Halo costume. I've started with the forearm and I'm doing it with paper, at the moment. Obviously, I need thousands of tips and suggestions...First of all: paper or foam?

This is the status of the work at the moment:

Last edited:
Re: Halo costume

Paper or foam...paper or foam...really its all just personal preference I think. Best to read up on some foam projects and see what's involved. I personally do paper, but have never tried foam. Pros and cons to both. Hopefully some more experienced builders who have done both will chime in.

Visit the link in my signature to tutorials on both subjects, then you might want to browse the 405th about both paper and foam. Mostly Foam is quicker, and 'easier' (for those who can work it), but lacks a lot of detail and the look is kind of off. Paper is much slower and a lot better chances of detouring you from finishing it, it has high detail results (if properly hardened and filled).

But mostly it's user preference, if you want a costume foam is perfectly fine, want a work of art that you want to pour hundreds of hours (yes, hundreds) then pepakura would suit you better.

your choice.

-The Armorer

The paper model of the first forearm is completed...but it looks too small to me...:(

Attachments

• 19Aprile_forearm_completo (1).JPG
    19Aprile_forearm_completo (1).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 700
  • 19Aprile_forearm_completo (3).JPG
    19Aprile_forearm_completo (3).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 427
  • 19Aprile_forearm_completo (5).JPG
    19Aprile_forearm_completo (5).JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 485
  • 19Aprile_forearm_completo (6).JPG
    19Aprile_forearm_completo (6).JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 570

Maybe a bit... but not too off. You may want to compare with refference photos of the chief to see if it looks comparable, the H4 armor is considerably less bulky than the previous armors, so it kind of tends to look 'small' when it's properly scaled.

-The Armorer

Paper or foam? Yes, it's a personal preference, both do have their pros and cons. With my experience in work with foam armor, speed in building the armor is increased because of the bulk of the material. You have a product quicker but the detail is less. Pep work is somewhat reverse. You have to build up your thickness but the return reward is that you can achieve a higher detail in your product. If your are not too concerned about detail go with foam. If you want detail and have the time, go the Pep/fibreglass/bondo route. The end results can be outstanding.

Since you are doing a Halo costume, a great deal of info can be found on the 405th website. Not many halo costumes are done here..this is mostly a Ironman costume building forum....not that it's a bad thing lol.
Anyways, keep working at it, a rule of thumb when scaling or measuring for Pep. If you measure your forearm from wrist to elbow and find it measures to be 12 inches, your pep model will be 12 inches as well .....BUT..... The proportions will be off...your gauntlet almost looks correct but it's too short. You have to take inconsideration the elbow part, it usually extends past the elbow and provides protection when you bend your arm. In this case I would add more to your dimensions, if its 12 inches, go 12.5 or 13. Take this as a positive, I too am starting in Pep modelling...it's a great hobby.
Keep up the great work!

Second forearm done...well...actually I've resized the previous one, but for the moment I'll pretend to have two forearms done....

1Maggio_forearm_completo (1).JPG1Maggio_forearm_completo (3).JPG1Maggio_forearm_completo (5).JPG

- - - Updated - - -

....now I need some suggestion...

I've seen a lot of tutorial and different ways to create a hard piece from a paper model...What do you guys suggest to me to use?

Fiberglass (polyester) Resin, Fiberglass, Bondo. I wish the 405th was alive. Then you could join there and be bombarded with good advice and ideas. But I digress...

For actual process, you may still want to take a stroll around the 405th and read the tutorials and maybe head over to youtube and watch the Hero Tutorials by Stealth. Just a suggestion.

-The Armorer

Thanks...this is what I needed: some suggestion for good tutorial. What is your personal preference?

Last edited:

Do you guys know whether it is possible to register in the forum of the 405th division? I've seen some wonderful tutorial but it looks like that in order to read them all I've to be registred...

That isn't what I've seen, but no, the 405th is down, maybe out for the count. Could you show me where you are having problems with the forum?

I'll try to have a few specific tutorials that would help up in a minute...

-Seth

Left arm completed....Any suggestion/comment?

Attachments

• 11MAggio_leftarm (1).JPG
    11MAggio_leftarm (1).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 349
  • 11MAggio_leftarm (2).JPG
    11MAggio_leftarm (2).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 421
  • 11MAggio_leftarm (3).JPG
    11MAggio_leftarm (3).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 385
  • 11MAggio_leftarm (4).JPG
    11MAggio_leftarm (4).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 422

ahah...good eye! yes...I don't like at all the upper arm of the H4 suite, and I've started with the the lower part of the H3 just by chance....I verified that they were compatible so I did it...but for the rest of the armor I'll stick on the H4 model...

Okay, just checking ;) so what's the setup for the armor then? Which H4 parts are going to be present and which H3 parts?

-The Armorer

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back