Master Anubis suit WIP.

MasterAnubis

Sr Member
So I'm starting my suit thread because it's still release day here of Predators.
I've got a hodge podge of stuff that I'm trying to get a smooth theme going. I don't have a very good overall concept drawing yet, just a motivating vision. I get side tracked too easily.

This is to accompany my bio thread:
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=14964
th_maskOfAnubis4.jpg

my blade gauntlet thread:
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=15510
th_bladeGauntlet11.jpg

and my timer gauntlet thread:
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=17142
th_TimerGaunt3.jpg

It seems like it's takin' forever to get this far.... here's a pic of me when I started.
suit1.jpg

And now:
suit3.jpg

suit2.jpg

The test fit of everything I had went good. I need to trim the torso up on the shoulders and the neck.

To this point I added my 'wide body' expansion panel to the torso and arms to fit me comfortably.

*I want to ensure I give credit to Elder-one for his tutorial: http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=17591

I sculpted a negative of a filler panel the I thought would be just fine for the back. I brushed Mold-Builder latex directly on the clay in a few layers over a couple of days. This latex is more transluscent then what I expected and I was going off of the color to determine thickness. It turned out I made it 3 times as thick as my torso's latex thickness.
suit8.jpg

suit7.jpg

The black cloth has the zipper sewn to it and then the latex and the fabric get cut appart.
I actually screwed this up by sewing the zipper with a zipper foot. That brought the stitch way too close to the zipper to work smoothly. I had to remove and restitch some spots.
suit6.jpg

Here the expansion panel is darker because of the black cloth behind it.
suit4.jpg

This is how I had to adjust the pants to fit. I cut the cod piece and belt off in one piece so that the legs would just rotate out and fit good held up by suspenders from Home Depot.
suit10.jpg
suit11.jpg

I'm in the middle of yet another sculpture... the buckle and cod peice.
suit9.jpg

Thanks guys. :D

very nice suit so far! and may i ask where you got those hands? they look amazing
Ha! It's funny that people keep asking about them. They're generic 'Demon Hands' I picked up through Amazon (spookshop.com) during a sale. You can find them cheaper but watch the shipping (devil-hands). I thought that they were going to be full latex gloves. Turns out that they are a lycra glove stitched to a vinyl outer glove and the cheapest Pred-like hands I could find. 'They' don't describe it well in the adds and that one store actually says they are latex.

I really like the concept of the inner glove because my hands sweat a lot and they also allow for more dexterity. A couple of the stitches will need to be moved to fit my hand comfortably though. Most of my motorcycle gloves through the years have had some sort of spandex in it to breath, really important in Arizona.

Gloves1.jpg

Those are the same gloves I used for my last suit and they worked out great. If you were wanting to trim down the nails, you can cut the nail parrallel with the middle of the finger and it will look smaller and more pred like. I whacked off the "claw" at the middle knuckle of the fingers and the holes are so small it was almost unnoticable. I also blended acrylic paint and perma-wet to paint my gloves and it held up perfectly. Anyway, good choice on the gloves and I hope I was of help.

Thanks again guys! :p

Those are the same gloves I used for my last suit and they worked out great. If you were wanting to trim down the nails, you can cut the nail parrallel with the middle of the finger and it will look smaller and more pred like. I whacked off the "claw" at the middle knuckle of the fingers and the holes are so small it was almost unnoticable. I also blended acrylic paint and perma-wet to paint my gloves and it held up perfectly. Anyway, good choice on the gloves and I hope I was of help.
Thanks for the ideas, it's good to hear someone else has used them. I didn't think about changing them I was just going to repaint them. Thanks for the heads up about the paint too. I didn't think about mixing paint with perma-wet so I'll have to try it.

LIITLE WOLF, everythings coming together. :D

I added my pants to the first post. It's not new info so I just put it there.

Small update, not too much overall suit related but theme related. I've been considering how to effectively incorporate Egyptian theme and so I've been studying Egyptian jewelry. Nothing too exciting because the majority of what I've found is beads and the like. It turned out what I was looking for was something called a bangle (bracelet) but they are more styled and seem to have a good amount of imagery for what I was looking for.

So I sculpted up a small snake as a test and covered it in silicone adhesive. I've been using the silicone adhesive from the dollar store with good success in small short run pieces for testing. I poured some Smooth Cast 321 which says that it has a 30 min demold time but I've yet to see it.
Bead1.jpg

After 45 minutes I pulled it out of the mold. At this point the plastic isn't well set yet so I wrapped it around a tube that was the diameter of my dread. I taped it down to hold it in place to set up overnight.
Bead2.jpg

I slid it off of the tube and put it on for the picture. The detail of the snake was being washed out by the flash, so I put a coat of gold on it for the picture. I still haven't decided how much gold I'll be wearing total.
Bead3.jpg

So with this test going so well, I'm going to be trying this technique with a facehugger.

Very cool Idea. I tried some wire wrapping similar to what your doing. It looked cool but, not very Samurai. It will look great on your Egyptian styled suit. Nice touch!

Small update, not too much overall suit related but theme related. I've been considering how to effectively incorporate Egyptian theme and so I've been studying Egyptian jewelry. Nothing too exciting because the majority of what I've found is beads and the like. It turned out what I was looking for was something called a bangle (bracelet) but they are more styled and seem to have a good amount of imagery for what I was looking for.
Hey, nothing wrong with that. If you make some bangles, you'll really be walking like an Egyptian.

(Sorry.)
So I sculpted up a small snake as a test and covered it in silicone adhesive. I've been using the silicone adhesive from the dollar store with good success in small short run pieces for testing. I poured some Smooth Cast 321 which says that it has a 30 min demold time but I've yet to see it.
Bead1.jpg

After 45 minutes I pulled it out of the mold. At this point the plastic isn't well set yet so I wrapped it around a tube that was the diameter of my dread. I taped it down to hold it in place to set up overnight.
Bead2.jpg

I slid it off of the tube and put it on for the picture. The detail of the snake was being washed out by the flash, so I put a coat of gold on it for the picture. I still haven't decided how much gold I'll be wearing total.
Bead3.jpg

So with this test going so well, I'm going to be trying this technique with a facehugger.
Cool stuff. I like the snakes. like the idea of incorporating different elements and variations into a suit, especially when you've got some mythology to work off of. I made a sort of tribal necklace for I'teki Thwei, with a bunch of claws, teeth, and some small skulls. Even though it isn't strictly canon, I like it enough that I wear it even when I'm not suited up.

Very cool Idea. I tried some wire wrapping similar to what your doing. It looked cool but, not very Samurai. It will look great on your Egyptian styled suit. Nice touch!
Thanks, slow setting plastic has some advantages in it's usages. I can't imagine how much harder it would be to cast that snake in a coil.

Hey, nothing wrong with that. If you make some bangles, you'll really be walking like an Egyptian.

(Sorry.)
It's OK, I know that there are too many puns to pass up.

Cool stuff. I like the snakes. like the idea of incorporating different elements and variations into a suit, especially when you've got some mythology to work off of. I made a sort of tribal necklace for I'teki Thwei, with a bunch of claws, teeth, and some small skulls. Even though it isn't strictly canon, I like it enough that I wear it even when I'm not suited up.
Canon or not, sometime cool is just cool.

Thanks guys, I don't know how many snakes I'll end up with. I'll probably make a few and decide later. :D
The snake actually ended up more detailed then the pictures show, I need to get a ring flash or something for macro. Some highlighting with a dark color should help bring it out.

I've considered the slew of other animals and insects used in Ancient Egypt and I don't want to overdo it.

Since this went so well I just finished sculpting my next dread bead. :D
Bead5.jpg

I made the tail longer than proportional to wrap around the dread at least couple of times. I can always trim to length too.
Bead4.jpg

Oh, and I have a new *rare* action shot of me actually doing something.
Bead6.jpg

You're very talented. I like how you're adding different things, both Egyptian and Predator to your suit. The snake dread ring is sweet, it reminds me of something they would wear around their arm/wrist. Are you going to use an Egyptian style neck-less instead of the traditional neck ring?

Thanks! :D

I've got a P1 and a Wolf neckring and I think one of them might work if it's painted right. I had considered a bunch of different ways to encorporate the theme. Like having a blue/gold/white cloth cover the back of the dreads. I don't want to look like a Pharoh, just have the influences. Color scemes might change as it comes together. I still haven't decided the final texturing on my bio either.

Great... the more I think about it, the more I have to do. :D

My son woke me up eeeaaarly this morning so I got a dread-hugger cast and shaped:
Bead8.jpg
Bead7.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back