Mass polishing cold-cast metal?

LucidMovement

Hi all! New to the forum, long time periodic lurker.

I was curious if anyone has any experience or ideas on how to polish a large number of items that have been cold-cast. I have a very large number, 400+ individual components to cast, polish and assemble in the next month or so. Most of the parts are small and relatively quick to polish but some are quite large (~13"x7.5"x1.25"). Unfortunately I am unable to share any photos of the current pieces due to NDA restrictions, though I will happily share them once everything is live. Polishing them by hand with steel wool is taking far too much time (57+hours for all of the bases!). Is there a faster way to do this or do I need to add "Create time machine" to my TODO list?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or ideas!

Cheers!

Thank you for the suggestions guys. I was previously under the impression that polishing resins on a wheel was not all that great, good to know different. The tumbler is a good idea for the smaller parts. Anyone have any ideas on what medium would be good for this? I'd prefer something that would not knock down the edges too much.

I have found in my additional testing that dusting the mold with the powder prior to casting makes it a good deal easier/faster to polish vs the gel coat or direct cast methods.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back