Mass Effect Valkyrie Rifle Build

Re: My Volpin Mass Effect Rifle Build

Thanks =)

Well, I did run the body under running water to wash away the paint from the wet sanding, but I didn't use any soap or anything like that.

Excellent work!:thumbsup

I'm with sheriff brody on the residue the places. Looks like it was "business end" down when you cleaned it and those areas were where the water run off was? Just a hunch. Again excellent work! No need to stress about it..it's just paint..if you mess up you can just paint over it.:)

oh yeah.. how full was your can and how often do you shake it while you're spraying?

Last edited:

that same paint thing happened to me when i was clear coating my freshley painted tk lid, and i had been so carefull not to mess that thing up that i was literaly about to throw it.. and a few mins later i was already searching ebay for a new kit.. but i waited a week and then sanded it back down and repainted it and it was fine.
it really sucked though

OK, here's what happend; you had a contaminant on it. It could have been oil from your skin, humidity, something the piece was laying on that had wax...something. Yes, you rinsed it off, and without getting to gross, let's just say that water from your tap isn't "pure". Also yes, you sanded it, but the contaminant remains.

NOTE: If you want good water with the least ammount of "things" in it, bring it to a HARD boil on a stove for 3 minutes.

To prevent this there are some easy things to do:
Wax and grease remover, sold in cans in most stores. Apply and remove.
Next use a tack rag, sold in most automotive stores. Wipe down entire part and set part on a CLEAN surface.

Hope this help.

cleaning with a liquid abbrasive works well too, It gives the surface microscratches so paint bonds well, but doesn't destroy any detailing. It gets all the invisible dirt off too.

Does Volpin still offer these?

Hmm, I suppose it may be the water. The can was pretty full, and I'm constantly shaking it whenever I'm not spraying. I didn't wash any of the other parts before painting, and they turned out fine (though I did wash the bare parts before applying the primer, but I have no problems with that at all). Stupid water critters messing stuff up.

I suppose I'll try the wax/grease remover and rag. Man, all this stuff is really adding to the overall price of the build.

LeMarchand, you should probably contact Volpin to see if he's still offering them.

Those damn water critters! lol Sounds like you're spraying right. Only other thing I can think of is a quasi-clogged tip on your can..

that wax grease remover could cause problems. Check out these "tack rags"...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0ZW9KN2DQKXB4257EXR1 They get all the extra dust and residue off. I used them for prepping auto paint before I sprayed my basecoat and clearcoat.

Again looks fantastic!

Last edited:

I'm gonna try and find some of those rags.

I didn't feel like dealing with that paint issue on the body, so I decided to try my hand at the texture technique Volpin used. I started to mask off the area on the front grip thing.

picture008ag.jpg

After that, I started to apply layers of the Rustoleum multicolored textured paint. I was originally going to use a dark grey, but opted for white so I could see exactly if I would cover the areas in enough paint. Sorry for the white on white. After letting it dry, I applied the flat black.

picture014az.jpg

picture016a.jpg

It's hard to tell the difference between the satin black and flat black, but it contrasts pretty nicely in person. As you can see, there's a little bit of white still visible at the edges where the mask was. I suppose I'll re-mask it and apply another layer of flat black to cover up the exposed textured paint, but overall, I'm satisfied with the result =)

I feel your pain on the painting, I get orange peel all the time on my projects unless things are just perfect temp wise. On props i can pass it off as damage or sand it but on my custom figures it was the worst. This is a beautiful build.

As you can see, there's a little bit of white still visible at the edges where the mask was. I suppose I'll re-mask it and apply another layer of flat black to cover up the exposed textured paint, but overall, I'm satisfied with the result =)

I wouldn't worry about that. When you go to weather the whole thing once the base painting is done, you can easily cover details like this up with a wash of acrylic.

Looking good!

I wouldn't worry about that. When you go to weather the whole thing once the base painting is done, you can easily cover details like this up with a wash of acrylic.

Looking good!

Yeah, that's true. Thanks for keeping my OCD in check. :lol

I'm now putting off sanding smooth the body to fix the stupid paint because it just enrages me so much, so I'm working on the other parts in the meantime. I masked the rear stock to add texture to it.

picture022ag.jpg

picture024at.jpg

It was pretty annoying to get the tape to fit into those little curves, but I managed to do it. And there was no problem with the painting at all.

picture045a.jpg

picture046a.jpg

The effort with that masking paid off, because it looks really good. I'm also working on the other smaller parts, but those are kinda less interesting, so I probably won't add any other pics until I finish dealing with the body issues and start with the paint for that.

Going to look really good with the textures on it!

Oh and a simple trick to masking those pesky little indents: goto any stationary store, get a "Hole Punch". Use it on the tape and make perfect circles. I place them with an exacto knife and press them down with a pencils eraser, works like a charm.

Keep up the excellent work!

I use Maskol for masking lines like that, basicly a liquid latex which you can brush on. It dries to a film and after painting you can easily peel it off.

Going to look really good with the textures on it!

Oh and a simple trick to masking those pesky little indents: goto any stationary store, get a "Hole Punch". Use it on the tape and make perfect circles. I place them with an exacto knife and press them down with a pencils eraser, works like a charm.

Keep up the excellent work!

4352691400_ed750c9eae.jpg

RAGGGGGGGEEEE!!!!

I started to mask the barrel and finished that, and then tried to mask the top area but when adjusting the tape, it peeled off a little bit of the paint. No biggie. I was gonna repaint the little bit so I slowly started to pull off the front masking, and....

picture047a.jpg

It even pulled off the primer. This project is making me angrier by the second.

Soooo... should I strip the paint? What's the best stuff to use?

:cry:cry:cry

yikes... did you sand that part before primer? Looking at your progress shots it looks like you did, but I can't be certain.

What primer are you using?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back