Mass Effect N7 Helmet WIP

Hi

I noticed your join date, so welcome to the forum :) You will learn much in a very short time, and have more fun than you can shake a stick at.

Mass effect rocks, so anything of that sort is always on my watch list :cool

That's a clean pep and a damn good start :thumbsup Pep is not my strong point, but the face mask section looks twisted to the left a bit (though that might be due to the angle the pic was taken), but fixable. Find a good point to add a tiny strip of card to sort that out if it's not the pic. Its a total pain, but taking the time to get the first stage right saves a whole bunch of work and time for the rest of the process.

Not sure if you've used resin before, but I believe about three lightly thinned layers would be sufficient for the outside of the helmet. Thinning it slightly helps the card stock to soak up the resin better.

A handy tip for adding the strengthening layer inside is to paint a thin layer of resin in there first, and while its still wet use small squares of fibreglass to line it with (chopped strand for the first one or two layers, then finish with woven). The thin resin layer acts as a glue and sticks the small squares to the inside holding them in place while you add the proper coat to them.

Small squares of fibreglass are much easier to work into the tight details and corners. Plus, larger pieces can pull away from thier own waight while it cures. Also, try to work out any trapped air from the fibreglass layers as your adding them by giving them a good working/teasing with a disposable paint brush (I use the handle too sometimes, whatever works ;)) to smooth down the fibres. It also helps the fibreglass to soak the resin and makes a stronger bond.

Sorry if all that was old news to you, and good luck with the rest of the build. I look forward to seeing this finished :thumbsup

Thanks alot man, this is my first project ever so any advice helps! ill definitely sort out the warped corner. I appreciate the advice about the resin I've some what into it but ill definitely take your advice. Ill keep posting photos and stuff as i go. I plan on using this method for the rest of the armor set so Ill probably start a new thread for that portion. But thanks a million man!:)

Hey, no problem buddy :)

Another cool method I've just learned for making the suit is to use a medium light gauge EVA foam to make your armour. Once constructed paint a coat or two of PVA glue on the parts and allow to dry. Then paint on a few layers of rotacasting resin to the exposed surfaces (it's a lot more watery in consistency than all the other resins) allowing each layer to cure (won't take long, about 20 mins or so each). Give each cured layer a very light sanding with a fine grit paper to aid bonding. After about three or four layers the armour should be be nice and tough, but light as a feather :thumbsup

Do you have templates for the armour? I have some good ones by another member here if your interested. They aren't pep files but rather templates for EVA. PM me if you want them to assess the options.

Thanks alot man, this is my first project ever so any advice helps! ill definitely sort out the warped corner. I appreciate the advice about the resin I've some what into it but ill definitely take your advice. Ill keep posting photos and stuff as i go. I plan on using this method for the rest of the armor set so Ill probably start a new thread for that portion. But thanks a million man!:)

Very cool. check out my Mass Effect helmet work.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back