Mass Effect N7 Armour, Cardboard - 6 Days - FINISHED!

AdamGareth

Ok, so it has been my intention for a while to make the N7 armour out of the EVA Foam like many here have done before. With time being tight before Saturday’s festivities and not being able to source the foam locally in time I settled on using card instead, and seeing what could be done.
I began on Saturday (23rd) and need to get it done by 30th, here goes…

Last edited:
Re: Mass Effect N7 Armour, Cardboard - 6 day build

Through friends I have a more or less unlimited supply of card and so decided to use this, employing similar methods that were used with a previous "Pyramid Head" build of mine.

My designs are based pretty much exclusively on EvilFX's amazing build from last year, so a big thank you to him for documenting the progress and proving so many pictures for others to work from. I have also had a great deal of help from Volpins blog as well, so cheers!

Day 1 – I decided to begin with the chest piece and see how I got on. I didn’t use any blueprints or templates. With the time scale I decided, for better or worse, to just jump in and sketch straight onto the card. Everything was made simply with a Marker, Ruler, Craft Knife and a hot glue gun.

I cut out an initial chest piece before making the details and gluing them on top. The chest piece is made up of 3 main sections which were then glued together.

Last edited:

Day 2 - Next step was to start work on the back. I started with the neck section which starts at the back and wraps around to form a collar. To get the curves on the chest I had glued 2 layers together while I held it in shape giving the desired gentle curves. To get this much larger curve I purchased garden wire and had it running beneath the detail so I could get the shape right and also alter it later down the line if needed (after buying it I decided I would go back to the chest and use it there as well for reinforcement). After a few bits of detail the neck was complete.

The next sections were again drawn free hand onto card, cut out and glued together using wire to keep shape where I felt it was necessary. The wire was especially useful when making compound curves for the middle section of the back.

Last edited:

Day 3 - So firstly I wanted to finish the detail on the back section. After this I suddenly became concerned about being able to sit down and the ability or lack of ability to be able to go to the bathroom efficiently, if efficiently is the right word for it. This prompted me to go back the chest section and make some adjustments. This meant cutting off the “crotch” section and also reshaping the rest so that I was able to sit down in it.

Day 4 – Today I wanted to make the Shoulders/Arms, Thighs and get the whole thing fitted together. I went to a local craft shop and bought strapping and a buckle, the same as what would be found on a back pack.

The back section hooked over my back and sat nicely so my plan was to then make the front open like a book - closing on the side with the buckle. I used a hot glue gun to secure the straps and buckle in place and it worked well. Next I made the shoulders and arms and used the strapping to secure it to the neck section. It all fits together well and can be taken on and off easily. I’ve even managed to get my first coat of spray on.

Day – Unsure
The last couple of days have been spent trying to get this thing painted and finished in time. As a result I didn’t document this as well as I could have, sorry.

I sprayed the whole thing with a black undercoat, and then I painted the desired sections with a grey. I masked off the appropriate areas and painted in the stripe on the arm.

To finish of the body I used sandpaper to take off bits of the grey to reveal the black below. I also just generally roughed up some of the areas to give a weathering effect. Not the best but its gives a better finish in my opinion even with this primative weathering technique.

I fifnished with a clear coat - satin spray to seal in the spaint work and add an extra layer of protection.

Just the final details left, a bit of straping on parts and the all important N7 logo!

Almost there!

That's made out of cardboard? Very impressive, I might have to attempt this myself. I'm excited to see it finished, can't wait!

Here are the photos as promised. The paint is on, weathering complete leaving just the final details and fastenings to go!

So I managed to get it all finished and here are some final photos (they're a bit late I know, sorry).

Sadly I didn't really take too many photos, but here they are anyway.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back