Mass Effect M8 Avenger build

Lifeburn

Sr Member
Well I'm trying my hand at making the M8 Avenger from the Mass Effect games to go with my newly aquired N7 armor. For this build I'm using EVA foam entirely. First of all for those who don't know what this rifle looks like this is it.
I found some templates of the side.
M8.jpg

I then traced the template onto a sheet of EVA foam.
SANY0348.jpg

I cut out two copies and glued them together, I put long pieces of a piano hinge in between to give the gun some weight and rigidness.
SANY0349.jpg

I then modified the templates and cut out two more copies.
SANY0350.jpg

SANY0351.jpg

This is where I stopped.
SANY0353.jpg

Next will be sanding down the outer layers of foam to get the shape of the gun. I'll be doing that over the next day or two. Anyone know what I can use to cover up the seams on the edges of the gun?

Thanks Eohnavi,

Got some more work done tonight. Added some of the detailing on the gun. For the details I'm using foamies. When all the detail is added and the sanding is done I will be covering the whole gun with Plasti Dip to give it a nice rubber coat before painting it.

SANY0354.jpg

SANY0356.jpg

Looks good so far! I really enjoyed both ME 1 and ME 2 as well. I am curious, why did you choose foam for your artistic medium? I just think something like wood would be more realistic/feel more authentic. Not trying to sound harsh at all, it looks great!

Curious about the medium too.

:)

If its a convention piece, then foam is the way to go. My M8 weighs about 8.5lbs, which might not sound like a lot, but carrying it around for 6 hours or so gets old really fast.

Also, the tooling needed to shape foam is much more accessible.

Yeah what Volpin said. This will be carried at conventions so it needs to be light. I learned the hard way by making the T-21 Lewis gun (Star Wars sandtrooper gun) out of wood and after carrying it at 3 conventions I threw that sucker away.

And also with this foam I can work quietly at night while my girlfriend sleeps without having to crank up any loud tools.

Well I'm just about done with one side, need to finish the scope then I'll work on the other side. I won't post pics of the other side because it will be the same process. At this rate I should be able to start painting this thing by the weekend, assuming I can find Plasti Dip locally.

SANY0359.jpg

SANY0360.jpg

Ooo that's looking sharp.

What part of North Cakalacky are you in? Most Home Depots/Lowes between Greensboro and Wilson carry it in a rattle can.

Thanks yodajammies, I'm in Winston-Salem.

And a question about plastic dip spray since I've never used it, is it really thick? Meaning will it cover up or fill in the detail lines and screw holes on the gun? I don't want to have to go back after spraying it and carve in my details again.

Minor update.

Started making the end of the scope with stuff lying around the house. Found two different sized bottle caps and glued them together, then I got a 5oz water cup and filled the bottom of it with resin because the cup has a nice flare and its the perfect size.

SANY0361.jpg

SANY0363.jpg

SANY0364.jpg

SANY0365.jpg

Then I took off the smaller bottle cap because it just didnt look good. Here it is sitting in place before being attached.
SANY0366.jpg

I'm trying my best to be ready to start painting tomorrow.

Well earlier today a glued the last pieces on (barrels, scope) and gave the gun a few coats of Plasti Dip.
SANY0368.jpg

Then I painted the silver. I took my airbrush and went over the silver lighty with black to just knock back the shine of the silver. Then I did a little weathering using a wash of brown. Aside from the decals and a few other little details this thing is almost done.
SANY0370.jpg

SANY0371.jpg

And for anyone wondering, this gun weighs just a tad over a pound and a half.
SANY0367.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

My armor arrived today so I just couldn't wait to throw part of it on and take a few pics. I had the take the pictures myself so they are not great.

SANY0373.jpg

SANY0374.jpg

I would've thrown the bottom half on too but I dont have under armour legs yet.

This would be good for some cons as they seem to be frowning on props made of wood nowadays and probably resin at some point.

Safety isn't really much of a concern for me as the cons in NC are really laid back. Ive trooped a few times with a very real looking airsoft MP5 with the orange tip painted black with no problems.

The ones here say wood can be a weapon so i'm betting if you take a heavy resin prop they'd have a fit too. Yeah guns with orange tips seem to cause no issues here either. It's just stuff you can hit folks over the head with. Then again the cons here are mainly teenagers.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back