Mass Effect II M96 Mattock Heavy Rifle build

zanderwitaz

I just started this baby on monday. should be done by the end of next week. Start:

1121111516.jpg

1121111839.jpg

will look like this:

m96_mattock.jpg

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Re: Mass Effect II M96 Mattock build

I just went through your blog too and you do fantastic work. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Your TF2 turret was awesome BTW!

I just went through your blog too and you do fantastic work. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Your TF2 turret was awesome BTW!

Thanks! I've got quite a few tf2 projects that I haven't posted yet. (Ubersaw, scattergun, force a nature, level 3 sentry)

Someday.

heres the update :

1122112317.jpg

1123111724.jpg

1123111748.jpg

1125111453a.jpg

not bad for 2.5 days of work!

What a beauty! I love the gun in game. Looking good in the real world too

That looks dead on! What are you using besides a jigsaw?

a sanding block :p my scroll saw is the only cutting tool I have/need. any gun can be made with it as long as the layers are properly worked before being put together. Ive also got about 8 years of solid experience on it so I can make just about any cut. Makes me a stubborn guy who doesn't want to switch tools.

I've scaled it down a little bit, to match my m-29. I've buit both about 10% smaller than the in game models since I'm a smaller guy. ( 5' 10", 145 lbs.)
also, in my opionion the in game model looks too big since the design is like a compact assault rifle, about the size of an fn f2000 if it were real. mine is about 28.5 " long. The in game version is somewhere between 31-32 inches. Too clunky and nerf gun-like.

I appreciate all of the kind comments!

A sanding block!!?? Jeez that makes this project with all its angles even more impressive

I'm with the guys above! How do you get that nice even angled edging with just a sanding block? Especially once the edging starts to curve into a new angle.

More building technique details PLEASE!

I've let not having the "correct" tools from starting certain projects. You have proved me completely wrong!

Nick

Haha no guys, the angles are made on a scroll saw. They're all by hand though, I havent cleaned them up with any sandpaper. I can usually get a cut exactly down the pencil line I draw. The sanding block is for cleaning up the edges that consist of multiple layers of mdf that were not able to be cut at the same time.

as for casting, If I cast an m96, Ill have to make it again but bigger. This one is only 28.5 inches long. It will look a little small to most fanatics on anyone who is taller than 5' 9" or so.

Are you using some kind of fence or straight edge guide when cutting the long straight edges with your scroll saw?

Honestly I thought scroll saws were only capable of doing freehand type stuff.

Ya know, stuff like this-
PelicanPattern.JPG

:)

Nick

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back