Mass Effect 3: Cerberus Assault Trooper

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Yodajammies, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Well, we're closing in on March 6th, 2012 (Mass Effect 3 release date), and I'm sure we'll see an explosion in the population of Commander Sheppards around here. Now as any good conversationalist would do, we must cull this herd before they all start saving the world, defeating the Reapers, finishing the fight, etc etc.

Therefore, it's time for the "Earf-first", xenophobic anti-heroes of Mass Effect 2 to rise again as The Cerberus Assault Trooper.

[​IMG]

Thus begins the chronicling and overly dramatized build thread for my 2012 showpiece.

First, major props go out to CGJeff who helped out with a lot of the modeling on the helmet. I'm not wet behind the ears when it comes to 3d work, but this cat is a pro.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the 3d model was properly sized and mocked up, it's off to the 5-axis mill for some quick foam cutting. I'm currently doing all my milling in 15lb density tooling foam (UR150 from theengineerguy.com). It doesn't tap worth a crap, but it holds a very decent edge, doesn't kickup a lot of dust, doesn't generate too much static, and is relatively cheap.

Even though I have full 5-axis capability, I've found that it's much faster to mill the main using 3-axis operations, then seam up the edges of the cuts. If an individual part requires multi-axis machining, it's not as difficult to CAM if you don't have to work around your entire model.

[​IMG]

Here is the front and back of the helmet cut separately to make sure I got all of the tiny details that took so long to model out. The bondo spot you see on the right is where the mill thought it might be a good idea to see what China is like this time of year, and decided to go right through my part.

[​IMG]

Now that all the parts are cut, it's just a simple matter of expoy-ing them together and feathering out the seams. Since this board is so porous, and I'm fairly impatient when it comes to gluing things, I'm using Smooth-on 5 minute "instant" epoxy.

[​IMG]

He's got his ears on so now to mold and cast his little cheek breathers. Once that's done and he gets a little more sanding polish, I think we'll almost be in the ballpark to mold this fella.

[​IMG]

Now I don't want to lay all my cards out on the table at once, then not be heard from for a month while I work on other things, so here's just a quick teaser of what else I've got done on this project, that I'll share in the next couple weeks.

[​IMG]

2. RATCHET

RATCHET Active Member

Man, I am extremely jealous of the resources you have. Fantastic work!

3. burn

burn New Member

Im speachless...such a great start and an amazing way of doing the lid.
    looking foward to see more!!!!!

Pete

4. Sakara

Sakara Well-Known Member

EPIC.....simply EPIC.

5. mosarmini

mosarmini Active Member

Amazing...what kind of machine is that exactly? Sorry, noob status right here xD

6. nog3

nog3 New Member

That is one nifty CNC buildup you have there.

7. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

8. Kommissar

Kommissar Well-Known Member

must be nice to have a tool like that to play with!
    holy crap those things are expensive.

love the helmet so far

9. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

This armor blows anything Commander Shepard wears out of the water!:thumbsup

10. bluerob

bluerob New Member

AWESOME! Subscribed! Can't wait to see new updates.

11. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Blarg! I was so close to getting this molded before christmas. I'm heading out today so yall probably won't see anything new until next week.

[​IMG]

12. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Sweet! How do you see out of it though?

13. elro

elro Active Member

Awesome work Yodajammies! :thumbsup

Jealous of your * machine :cry

Wondering where you got the human 3d model from - Have been trying to find one that is humanely correct to model armor pieces around.

Havent got enough skill to make one that is accurate to proportions ><

Would It be possible to obtain a copy please? would be greatly appreciated!

14. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

pfft, yeah man. it's just a stock model from Poser. Shoot my a pm with your email.

15. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

I think I have a mold problem! :lol

[​IMG]

16. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

[​IMG]

After repouring a side of my mold that I was worried had been inhibited, I then found that my mold wasn't level and left a large void in the top of the piece. Fingers crossed that this will fix it, but I'm thinking that this mold is a wash and I'll have to redo the entire thing when all is said and done. Also, I've just started watching the new BattleStar.

[​IMG]

17. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Despite the issues it still looks good and i love that helmet.

18. Jaedena

Jaedena Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You have some awesome tools to work with and despite the issue things are looking good!

I'll be following this one as I'm a big ME fan :)

19. serija

serija New Member

That's so sweet!
    Wish I knew somebody who's got a mill the results are amazing!

20. Metalfire

Metalfire New Member

That's quite unbelievable! Wow fantastic work, I've been thinking about doing something from ME, but my plate is full with finishing my Halo Spartan, and upgrading my mando, and Ezio. Again fantastic work, looking forward to completion! Subscribed.

21. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Let's play photo hunt. See if you can find the 5, or 500 differences between the left and right side. Turns out BOTH sides of my mold were FUBAR from the start when I poured them the first time. I went back and redid the right side, but not the left since I was fairly confident that it had not inhibited. That and I did a lousy job of planning out my seam line so the original copy locked itself in and it had to be hacked to bits in order to get it out of the mold. So now I have a destroyed master and an unusable mold. At this point it's a lost cause and I'm throwing in the towel on the helmet until I can recut a new master from tooling board.

I'm pretty sure all the inhibition was coming from the Challenge90 I used as a release agent on the surface of the model. Silicones don't really need to be release and since no good deed goes unpunished, this is what I get for trying to be proactive about making good molds. So long 200$ silicone kit. I would have had more fun turning that cash into quarters and just flushin em down the toilet.

[​IMG]

In other news, I finally found the perfect pot for my double boiler. I can't believe I've gone as far as I have without using this fantastic tool. No more scorched clay, no more fire alarms going off in the middle of the night because you left the burners on downstairs in the basement, no more wildly flailing about with the fire extinguisher hosing everything down because you thought your house was being burned down, etc etc. Well, hyperbole, but I'm sure that would have happened eventually.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  22. Rysjin7717

Rysjin7717 Well-Known Member

Well i guess ya live an ya burn (JK) sometimes anyways that sucks about all that work ya put into th' helmet only ta find Murphy's Law. Awesome armour though Subscribed.:cool

23. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Yeah Murph is kicking my *.

Just for kicks I did a slush cast and this is what came of it. Bleah.

[​IMG]

24. Spectacular Spider-Man

Spectacular Spider-Man Member

What an awesome costume!

25. Jaedena

Jaedena Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yikes! It's a little rough, but it'll be well worth the work when you're holding the completed piece. Keep those updates coming!

26. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

You could always say it's been battle damaged and paint it up that way.

27. PattyChuck

PattyChuck New Member

Reading this has made me realize how much I can't wait for that game, and how much I know nothing about what you're doing. Keep up the good work!

28. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Mostly just making a mess and wasting a lot of time and money. Really any shmuck could do it.

I built a new sculpting armature this weekend for the bracers on the Cerberus trooper this weekend. I'm hoping to post up a new shot every day until it's done. With a 3 day buffer I think I can make it happen. Stay tuned!

[​IMG]

29. PattyChuck

PattyChuck New Member

FTFY :)

30. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

DAY TWO - So here are all the parts of the stand assembled. If you look carefully, you may be able to see it hidden on this filthy workshop table. Right now I have the 45 degree angle at the bottom of the pipe. The 45 and 90 degree fittings will help rotate the sculpt around to nearly any view point so that I can be sure I'm hitting all of my proper symmetry lines, and capturing all of the necessary details.

[​IMG]

31. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow! Don't get discouraged, keep at it! It's looking great, and very promising so far. Can't wait to see how it all looks in the end!

32. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

DAY THREE - Here's where the double boiler comes into play. Melt down your chavant until its soft and pliable then slather up that armature. If I didn't have nearly 200 pounds of this stuff piling up in the shop, I'd have built an armature out of blue foam to block out the basic shape of the sculpt. The alternative is just a solid block of clay which is quite a bit heavier, but otherwise just fine.

For the next couple hours/updates I'll mostly be working on symmetry and blocking out the main shapes and features of the arm.

[​IMG]

33. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

DAY FOUR - Hey now we're getting somewhere.
    [​IMG]

34. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

DAY FIVE - Crap, I'm starting to fall behind on this while working on a commission. Anywho, the symmetry is coming along. I'm in "subtractive scuplting" mode, where I built up material and now I'm raking it away to reveal the form underneath. I think we're still a little too big in terms of overall volume. I know space armor usually runs large, but these forearms are awfully beefy.

[​IMG]

35. Rysjin7717

It's lookin good Yodajam, symetry is important as well as overall form it seems that ya got both bra. keep it up.:cool

36. SChristides

SChristides New Member

As I'm quite new to this whole clay thing is it common for one to build a basic form to do a layer of clay over the top?

I only ask as I did this to a resined pep instead of the bondo route and it seems to be working thus far but wasn't sure if there were any pitfalls.

37. GBrittelleJr

GBrittelleJr Well-Known Member

Hey, if you need to get rid of some of that clay piling up, you could always send it my way haha. But seriously this is coming along terrifically. It's beautiful.

38. SirNedKingsly

SirNedKingsly Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

looks great! Awesome job on the helmet!

39. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

I finally got a chance to get some hands on time with this today. I switched out the 45 degree connector for the 90 in order to get some new angles to sculpt from. As always, symmetry is king, so she's still a little rough as far as polish goes. You've got to get the foundations set before you can start putting on all the flourishes around the window sills.

[​IMG]

40. daryllwin

daryllwin New Member

Woah. Now I can't wait for the game to be released AND you to finish your suit just to see how it looks like!

41. Rysjin7717

lookin good Yodajam this is gonna be awesome when it's finished bra.:cool

42. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Thanks guys! It's been super slow going so far, and with the super fail that was the helmet, slogging through the rest of this build is really taking it's toll. After seeing what TimeCon and EvilFX can do with EVA foam, I might "cut corners" and take a crack at patterning out some of this armor in foam.

I'd love to CNC machine or sculpt out the whole thing, but I'd also like to finish .... this year.. :/

43. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Weird. I start sculpting in clay and I get this -

[​IMG]

Sure doesn't look like Chavant to me. Hmm...

Welp - Prototypin! I'm not thrilled with the overall scale and the proportions of the upper to lower forearm, but I think we're on the right track with this piece.

44. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

OH WE BACK!

The cerb bucket will not be denied! Now if I can just manage to not screw up the molding on this second try, we may have something to toot about.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

45. whisper kill

whisper kill Member

Wow. 'When' you pull this off... it will truly be epic. I can hardly wait to see the final product! Keep up the documentation of the build through photo's!

46. jjdelong

jjdelong New Member

If you need help with the mold problems list each of them on here and a little sentence about it and I can help. I'm an industrial xray technician and have studied metalurgy including all the mold process's...my schooling was with steel in the molds but i'm sure alot of the problems will be similiar.

47. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I love that helmet. I wish you lived in PA so i could get tips on sculpting, I can't get the hang of using clay. Everything's turning out really nicely though.

48. Tommyfilth

Tommyfilth Active Member

Hey Jammies, can you detail your materials here so others can avoid making the same mistakes? specifically what silicones inhibit with tooling boards.

Tommy

49. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Oh, yikes! I guess I didn't post it up here.

Well if yall were on my facebook feed (Jarman Props | Facebook) you'd know already! :)

and I quote -

"*Attention Platinum silicone users* We have found the root cause of our inhibition issues! If you're using tooling board (specifically board from theengineerguy, product named UR100-UR310), do NOT use platinums to mold them. They will not cure! Even with 3 coats of crystal clear and a mold release, there were still inhibited spots. Tin cured rubbers will work just fine as an alternative.

And as always, remember to do test batches against materials you're unfamiliar with before you dump a 200$ silicone kit down the drain. This has been your "Learn from my mistakes" tip of the week."

This hypothesis was tested with Rebound 25, Rebound 40, and a platinum cure from silicones inc. When I switched over to moldmax 40, pow. All cure inhibition issues were instantly gone.

50. DrakeC13

DrakeC13 Member

*... that's looking pretty sexy